1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2004 SBC Annual Meeting

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by preachinjesus, Jun 15, 2004.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've been watching this as its streamed live over the internet. Pretty fun stuff to sit at work and watch my convention perform its yearly functions. Watch it here!

Some interesting stuff has already gone on. The SBC pulled out of the BWA formally, which isn't too much of a surprise. One of the surprising items that came from this was Dr. Paige Patterson's accusation that the American Baptist Convention had a group of churches that was called the "Evergreen Baptist Association" which are a network of homosexual churches. Thus the SBC should use this as a good reason for departing from the BWA. I've checked the ABC website and haven't found the "silver bullet" which he said was on their website. This was an interesting accusation to make, for it seemed to prate on messenger's concerns about the homosexuality issue.

Another matter brought up by Dr. Patterson during his time was that because the "A" in BWA means alliance and anything we are allied with reflects what we endorse and believe that we as Christians should be mindful of that. I'm curious to hear other's responses on that.

During the discussion of the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary and SBC sole membership a ballot vote had to be taken due to the close number of votes. The presentation was decisively one sided towards the recommendation of the executive committee, and I believe the messengers noticed that. Should be interesting to see how the decision plays out and what becomes of the sole membership issue. (Also whether or not the Executive Committee will allow themselves to be under the sole membership matter too.)

The Pastor's Conference was good too. You can watch the various messages on the internet too at the above link.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the vote on the BWA decision?

The ABC-USA has organized a separate association, the Evergreen Baptist Association, partly because of the dispute about homosexuality. Most of the Evergreen churches are in Washington, but they are not part of the ABC of the Northwest. My understanding is that the ABC opted to create a separate association/regional organization rather than have the argument played out within the Northwest region.

However, association officials say only two of the churches are "gay friendly" and are interested in a wide range of diversity issues.

EVERGREEN BAPTIST ASSOCIATION

3. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

The vote on the BWA was done by a handcount, though AP news reporters said it was overwhelming in favor of splitting from the BWA.

4. MDavidM

MDavidM New Member

Selfishly, my favorite part (in addition to seeing my pastor, members, and staff as a part of the program) was seeing the closeup shots of my 17-year-old son playing his violin with the Prestonwood Choir and Orchestra! I'll be glued to the computer tonight and tomorrow to see the convention and my son!

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I would be there right now, if we weren't in the middle of VBS!

6. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Its good seeing Prestonwood well represented at the convention. I've always enjoyed my visits to the church while here at SWBTS.

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

How about this quote from Morris chapman - courtsey of ABP:

""If Southern Baptists steer sharply to the right, we will end up on the road of separatism and independence," said Chapman, president of the SBC Executive Committee and one of the candidates elected SBC president during the conservative rise to power.

He urged the convention "to return to some sense of normalcy."

"The crusade phase of the conservative resurgence has passed," he said. "...The battle has been won." Southern Baptists now "cannot linger at the base camp" of biblical authority, he added. "We are people not only compelled to believe the Book, we are compelled to live the Book." True biblical faith should result in righteousness, holiness, church-planting and missions, he said. "This is our biblical mandate."

Chapman said conservatives have not made good on their pledge to bring a broader range of Southern Baptists into leadership positions. While those in trustee positions must be inerrantists, endorse the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message statement, and support the Cooperative Program, leadership should be open to those "who listen to God's Spirit, not trustees who are susceptible to politics."

"We cannot let this convention be driven by politics," he said.

My question is what exactly is normalcy in the SBC if not a politically driven agenda? Look what has occurred just this past year at SWBTS! Hemphill and Crutchley fired, Bullock not granted tenure and not because they were liberal in any sense of the word.

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Jimmy, those losers at SWBTS weren't fired because they were overtly liberal but because they were not really conservatives. Sorry about that.

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Check out what the leaders of the BWA had to say about Patterson's statement in the following story from ABP.

http://www.abpnews.com/news/news_detail.cfm?NEWS_ID=59

Do you think it is consistent that the SBC withdrew from the BWA because of the BWAs affiliation with the American Baptists who according to Patterson support homosexual members in their congregations ( a charge the American Baptist Convention denies) while at the same time the SBC sends a representative to the American Baptist Convention????

Here is a quote from that article by ABC general secretary Roy Medley

"To characterize American Baptist Churches USA as being in favor of gay marriage goes beyond the pale," Medley insisted. "Our policy statement on family life, adopted in 1984, maintains, 'We affirm that God intends marriage to be a monogamous, life-long, one-flesh union of a woman and a man.'"

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Thanks DD, you would have disapointed me if you had come back with any semblace of an actual constructive post

11. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Any truth to the rumor that Bobby Welch may not be elected president? He may be too old?

CJ

12. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Bobby Welch is the new president of the SBC. I don't think age is an issue...how old was Patterson when he served? How old were some of the others?

Oh geez....T.C. Pickney just got up to offer an amendment to an amendment...this should be interesting

13. MDavidM

MDavidM New Member

And now Shortt is taking his shot...

14. MDavidM

MDavidM New Member

Evidently none of the people in favor of this amendment listened to Ergun Caner on Monday.

I wish my son were a delegate and not just a musician. He is champing at the bit to speak out on this right now!

15. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

My question is what exactly is normalcy in the SBC if not a politically driven agenda? Look what has occurred just this past year at SWBTS! Hemphill and Crutchley fired, Bullock not granted tenure and not because they were liberal in any sense of the word.

Now Jimmy you and I have been through this before. [​IMG] None of these people have been fired. There is a cogent difference between being fired and what actually happened and the mischaracterization which you have presented, my friend. A second note is that Hemphill resigned to pursue other ministry endeavors and any who says he was fired is simply wrong.

The SBC is a big organization and because we live in a sinful world, and because even as Christians we must live with the side affects of a formerly sinful nature, there will always be people with political motivations that are contrary to the Kingdom of God. We must work inspite of these people. I applaud and appreciate Dr. Chapman's words and am thankful for his sincere heart. We as Christians must work at our best to continue the Kingdom work of God even though we must be encumbered by the slings and arrows of political ambition.

Now to respond briefly to Daniel David's quip, I suggest to you that all three of these people are soundly conservative and thoroughly orthodox. I should know, I've spoken with and sat underneath all three in an educational environment.

16. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

yipee! the amendment failed!

17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Preach,

I genuinely respect your opinion, but you split a fine hair. Crutchley tells anyone, me included, who asks that he was fired, the seminaries spin is that he was not offered a contract for the next academic year. Hemphill, while perhaps not "fired" was stongly encouraged to move on. It helped that SWBTS paid his first year salary at Empowering Kingdom Growth.

That said, as a loyal Southern Baptist, and one who wishes the moderate side had not stopped attending the annual convention - my hopes and prayers are that the SBC can get out of politics and back to the business of winning souls to Christ.

Perhaps, now that Dr Patterson has his dream job, and Dr. Mrs Patterson has accomplished having the BWA de funded, all the debts have been paid to the authors of the conservative resurgence/takeover, and Southern Baptists can put internal politics on the back burner.

18. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Brother Jimmy,

While we clearly differ in our views on these above matters, I suggest that we simply agree to disagree and be done with this. I do this because I am sure amongst fellow baptists neither of us would wish to embroil our efforts over a fool hearty discussion based in part on conjecture and a discussion which would certainly detract from the glory of kingdom. Though this is not the habit of good baptists, that is to leave foolish discussions alone, I believe you and I can bring ourselves to this cause and perhaps see it spread.

That said, as a loyal Southern Baptist, and one who wishes the moderate side had not stopped attending the annual convention - my hopes and prayers are that the SBC can get out of politics and back to the business of winning souls to Christ

This is something certainly worthy of commenting on. There has been a noticed decline in the theological diversity of those attending the convention each year. Now I think this is a sad thing, though some of my brethren are happy about it, and I hope to see a rebounding in different congregations represented. One of the glorious parts of historical baptist polity is local church autonomy. I am hoping to see a renewed growth in the diversity of the convention floor. While some issues are foundational to baptist doctrine, I believe that some peripherial issues have bogged us down for too long. We must endeavor to bring together all Southern Baptists in fellowship. Leaving politics at the door is certainly the right start.

Blessing

19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Preach

Amen and Amen

On a very positive note - I am encouraged by the new president of the SBC. He is by all evidence a passionate soul winner. His example and witness are an encouragement to all.

20. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Agreed my friend!