1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2nd Temple Finds and Pagan imagry on sacred objects

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What do you think about the find in the Cave of Letters that depict Roman Mythology on saved objects of worship from the 2nd Temple period before its destruction? Why is there no mention of this in the gospel? Why does Jesus not comment on it? Its clear it was important to Jewish worship because these items were inventoried on the bronze scroll.

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I haven't heard about this. It seems really strange in view of other things we know, e.g., Pilate causing riots in Jerusalem by setting up standards bearing the image of Tiberius. On the other hand, the second temple was expanded and took on real grandeur at the hands of Herod the Great who wasn't a real Jew. Perhaps he installed these things to gain favor with Augustus Caesar.

What is your take on this, TS?

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

If I had to consider why something was not shared in the gospels, it may be because it is of no consequence. Israel's service to the Lord was already so far off the mark that they crucified the Son of God when He stood in their midst just because He did not match up to their religious expectations.

In a sense, the gospels do not teach us how to war against pagan evils, but rather how to war FOR Jesus Christ, by doing what it is that He told us to do in the manner in which He told us to do it, and with love and unity as our primary motivators.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not certain. However, I am trying to find information from some Hebrew scholars working on the site. I belief that glfedrick to be correct that it may have been of no consequence. And that being the case seems to have some serious implications of religious cross polination.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

The religious cross polination is nothing new. Nice way to put it, too, by the way.

Anyhow, we have seen it all throughout the OT with God's people, many many times.

It looks status quo to me.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are correct. However, if Jesus had nothing specific to say about it, then should we amend our view of early christians incorporating certain cultural aspects into the christian faith as well such as greek philosophy to understand terms, Icons, etc...?
    Thanks for the compliment about using the term cross polination however, its not mine but Dr. Richard Freund and Dr. Rami Arav two directors who participated in the excavation of the site back in 2000.

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Good question, but as of right now, I don't have an answer or opinion about that.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

There are many things that Jesus did not speak to directly. In fact, the gay lobby is proud to mention that Jesus never condemned homosexuality! Of course, that, like this, is an argument from silence and we are not really allowed to fill in the blanks from our own perspective. In a sense, that is adding to the Word, and a practice we ought to avoid unless there are other clear passages where direct inference can be drawn.

In the case of idolatry, God was VERY clear in the OT. The Bible is also clear that the Jews practiced a lot of religious exercise that strayed far from God's ideals. That the 2nd Temple did so as well is not a surprise. That it was blown up a mere 35 or so years after Jesus resurrection is also no surprise. God was done with the Temple, having given us a new Pure Temple.