1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3 interesting verses

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by lindell dunning1, Dec 9, 2008.

1. lindell dunning1

lindell dunning1 New Member

Psalm 5:5 Psalm 11:5 Psalm 105:25 What precept is presented here?

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I notice that it's been a while since you posted. Welcome back.

I find it interesting that the Psalmist says clearly that God hates workers of iniquity--that is, individuals who work inqiuity. But when Paul quoted Malachi in Romans 9 to say "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated," some insist that Jacob is the nation of Israel and Esau represents the nation of Edom.

But Paul refers to them as children, not having yet been born.

I take it your point is that God actually hates certain people. Wanna elaborate?

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I confess that I wish there is some way to allegorize or symbolize the passages in the OP. I can understand the idea of a holy God hating evil, and even being angry with evildoers. The idea of God's hating an individual, however evil, is something I have difficulty grasping.

Except maybe for Adolph Hitler.

I'm willing to submit to the clear teaching of scripture,however much I'd like for it to be explained away.

#3 Tom Butler, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom,you had a double post spanning 31 minutes apart!

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

That I did. I left for a while to pick up some supper. When I got back, there was my draft. I thought I had posted it, but at my age, I wasn't certain. I thought I had checked to see if it was already posted, and didn't see it. Bad eyesight is another excuse I have.

But, once I did realize the double post, I went in and edited it, substituting a new and reasonably brilliant post in its place. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

You know what they say about getting old. Two things: One, everything hurts and what doesn't hurt doesn't work any more. And Two....um.....

#5 Tom Butler, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
  6. lindell dunning1

lindell dunning1 New Member

Dear Mr. Butler,
    I have been working on Gen.3:15 for several years. Matt. 13:39 and Matt. 15:13 seem to indicate that Satan has children. In verse 14 of the 15th chapter,my Lord makes a statement that is puzzling to me in light of the many things I have been taught concerning evangelism.
    He did not say to pray for these blind leaders of the blind nor did He say evangelize them.
    So help me out here.
    The other thing that troubles me is the Genesis passage. If the Almighty has put enmity between the seed of the serpent and the seed of the woman, then how can a mere mortal such as I have any intercourse with the serpent's seed. I don't see how this wall of hostility can be removed if He did indeed put it there.
    I know that the Bible says to love your enemy. I do not see how this can be possible if that obstacle is there by Divine appointment. On the other hand,
    is Satan's seed and the enemy whom I am to love separate folks?
    I want you to know that I did not post this in order to preach to anyone. I would just like to know how you and others view these verses.
    Your friend,lindell

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Brother Lindell, please call me Tom.

You've raised some interesting questions. My take at this point is that we have to have contact with lost people. We're commanded to preach the gospel to all who will listen, to personally witness to them. We are told to love our enemies.

We cannot totally separate from those with whom Jesus himself made contact.

To me, being separate does not mean physical isolation from them. It has to do with not living as they do, and not joining them in ungodly behavior.

This is not a great example, but think about going into a bar to witness, but not to join the patrons in getting drunk.

We have to remember that until the Lord saved us we were all under condemnation and were followers of Satan. We don't know whom God will save until it's done. We cannot evangelize at arms length.

8. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I take these verses to read that God regards the evil people as his foe or enemy. Unless they are not part of the "World" that he so loves.

I agree with Mr. Butler that the seperation does not entail a total loss of contact, but a lifestyle that does not partake of the evil ways. Christ demonstrated this while here on earth.

I don't think we can identify the children of satan as easily as most think. Would Osama Bin-Laden fall into that category? I don't know, but if I was alive in the first century Saul demonstrated the same zeal and hatered for the Christians as Osam does and yet God chose him as an Apostle.

So much to understand and yet I have so little understanding. Can't wait till I no longer see through the glass darkly.