1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3 questions for KJVonly-ites.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Cix, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Cix

Cix New Member

Did the KJV translators mislead their readers by saying that their New Testament was "translated out of the original Greek"? [title page of KJV N.T.]

Were they "liars" for claiming to have "the original Greek" to translate from?

Was "the original Greek" lost after 1611?

A simple yes or no to these will suffice.

2. Gayla

Gayla New Member

no

no

no

3. Comrade

Comrade New Member

no

don't know

Look at the manuscripts from which the other versions are translated. There are two kinds of translations:eek:ne is word for word and the other is thought for thought. For instance: the Revised Standard is a word for word translation while the NIV is a thought for thought. Now let's think If God's thoughts are not our thoughts then how can we interpret God's thoughts? Anyways look at what the other versions are translated from.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you about methods of translation Comrade but that really doesn't speak to the questions being asked.

5. KJVBibleThumper

KJVBibleThumper New Member

My suggestion, make a poll before asking this question. [​IMG]

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My suggestion, answer the questions and don't dance. You're not going to find more straightforward questions than those.

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

No, no, and no. The problem is not with the phrase "original Greek," understood properly, but with the fancy dancing the KJV-onlyists do around the meaning of the phrase.

8. KJVBibleThumper

If you think im dancing around the question feel free to think that,its not true but feel free to think it. The reason I said it is because if I answer it in writing im going to get drawn into a debate that I dont have the time for. I have enough to do and answer already without adding arguing this to it. When I get my plate a little cleaner then ill take part in this.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think im dancing around the question feel free to think that,its not true but feel free to think it. The reason I said it is because if I answer it in writing im going to get drawn into a debate that I dont have the time for. I have enough to do and answer already without adding arguing this to it. When I get my plate a little cleaner then ill take part in this. </font>[/QUOTE]Translation- "I'll pick and choose which issues I address and avoid the ones that are sure losers."...

The only problem is that he doesn't have a single winner by merit.

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJVBT:My suggestion, make a poll before asking this question.

Why? A poll isn't a dialogue.

11. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. KJVBibleThumper

If you think im dancing around the question feel free to think that,its not true but feel free to think it. The reason I said it is because if I answer it in writing im going to get drawn into a debate that I dont have the time for. I have enough to do and answer already without adding arguing this to it. When I get my plate a little cleaner then ill take part in this. </font>[/QUOTE]Translation- "I'll pick and choose which issues I address and avoid the ones that are sure losers."...

The only problem is that he doesn't have a single winner by merit.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you for the amazing talent you display in pulling out the secret meaning even I didnt know was there.
    Let me explain something about what I said: I am still working on my answer to DeclareHim about whether or not other versions change what the KJV says. My desk is covered with papers, books, and bibles. I have already spent hours on the paper and its not done yet. I still have no less then 4 major things I mean to address soon that will take up even more time, I have school starting in a matter of days,I have a drivers test to study for, I have a summer job I am finishing, the only reason im on right now is because the weather is to bad to work in.
    In other words I DONT HAVE THE TIME RIGHT NOW!!
    Clear enough?
    KJVBibleThumper

13. Orvie

Orvie New Member

nay
    nay
    nay

14. Keith M

Keith M New Member

1. No

2. No

3. No

The translators of the original KJV, just like the translators of the Geneva Bible, the Great Bible, etc., used the best available manuscripts known to them at the time.