1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3 Reasons Why the Preacher Population Is Shrinking and What to Do About It

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by gb93433, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

But that, again, is not really scriptural.

I agree with the multiple eldership model; I am somewhat reformed in my ecclesiology, and I do believe that multiple elders is biblical. However, again, the scriptural example is that these men are paid by the church, in order to devote their full time to ministry pursuits. Those who do not teach are accorded a lesser amount (perhaps these are the "bivocational folks), while the teachers/preachers are afforded what Paul refers to as a "double" portion. I am not sure this is a literal amount, but may instead refer to full support vs. partial support. This is one reason why many reformed Baptist churches have "lay" elders, and "teaching" elders.

In any event, the scriptures say that those who have been entrusted with proclamation of the gospel, are to get their living from it. God CALLS certain men to be devoted to the professional ministry.

1Co 9:14 In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

That is unavoidably clear. God has commanded it.

I also disagree with you that there should not be a "first among equals" among the elders. We can see clearly that James, for instance, was exactly that; the chief elder.

2. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

That is a misinterpretation of the verse. It is speaking of living a life founded in the gospel. The Greek says nothing about earning a living.
    Where does Scripture state that James was a chief elder?

#42 michael-acts17:11, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
  3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Brother. Please. Read the surrounding context before you speak. Paul is talking specifically about receiving a living for preaching. He had just stated...

1Co 9:6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working for a living?

There is simply no defense for your position. The failure of a church to provide for their ministers, is a direct disobeying of God's command. ONLY Paul and Barnabas, out of all the apostles and evangelists, worked for a living; and Paul states that this is because of the grudging attitude of the church towards him.

Not aware where it specifically states that; but it says "James and the elders" and it is clear that James was the head of the Jerusalem conference...Also, the earliest church tradition records it. It is better than your evidence to the contrary...which is none.

4. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

I have seen two Church starts flop over because the pastors pay strained the budget too much.

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Maybe if evangelical women were allowed to enter the pastorate this trend would be reversed. Don't forget we have completely shut out over half of the available population.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

As I stated, IF the church can afford to pay the minister, and they don't, it is sin. Obviously if they simply do not have the money, due to a lack of members, the minister is obliged to continue to serve, and do whatever is necessary to pay the bills.

But this in no way changes the express command of our Lord.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Except, as stated, there IS no pastor shortage. When you have a pastorate open up, and the elders (or search committee) get anywhere from 30 to 100 resumes, that is not a shortage.

We have to hold to Biblical principles, and God has clearly forbidden women from the pastorate.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

That it is clear and forbidden is false, which has been demonstrated with sound exegesis and hermeneutic. I am disturbed by the fact that we are having a debate about a shrinking preacher population when over fifty percent of the eligible population is raised up to believe that their perspectives are not valid and their perspectives not welcome in the pulpit.

Sickening.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come to New Jersey then:laugh:

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean they closed their doors?

11. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

I don't disagree with you at all.

12. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

I think you meant to say "unsound exegesis and poor hermeneutics."

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Uh, no, and most thoughtful evangelicals would agree with me. Baptists, keeping true to their history of prejudice and stubbornness, have yet to catch up. In 50 years, most of them will be embarrassed of their position like they're embarrassed of their positions on civil rights.

Give me a break.

14. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Yep, no one left to pay the pastor :laugh:

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yep. They also don't marry homosexual couples. Darn evil Baptists! How dare they obey God's Word!

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

So supporting equal civil rights for blacks is now the same as marrying homosexuals? Cause that's what you're saying here.

{snip}

#56 jaigner, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
  17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

{Snip} I am saying disregarding what God's Word says about gender roles, is the same whether it is homosexuality or women in the pulpit. Both are disobedience to the clear teaching of scripture; so both are wrong.

It does not matter whether the world thinks homosexuals deserve the "equal right" to have relations and marry. They don't; God has designated specific roles for men and women.

It likewise does not matter if liberal feminists say that women have the "equal right" to step into the pulpit. They don't; God has designated specific roles for men and women.

#57 Havensdad, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
  18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

1. We're off topic.
    2. We've had rule violations and posts had to be edited. This is a fellowship forum, not a forum to grind axes.

Reprise the theme song and roll the credits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.