1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

4-20 and Friends with benefits

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by TaterTot, Apr 17, 2007.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I know this forum is fairly inactive, so I thought I would post this in here.

As one who tries to keep up with teen culture(like those things mentioned in the title to catch your attention), like many of you reading this, I dont know if I am just naive or if there is just a really active subculture out there. I was reminded today at school by a student that this Friday is 4-20 (National Weed Day). I first learned of it last year when I overheard some students talking about it, and I watched as the day arrived and many professing Christian teenagers broke out the hemp jewelry and rasta stuff. (The administration is completely clueless and the kids know it.) As I questioned students individually, most just said it was because they liked the look of it, but many knew what it was and just dont see why they cant smoke weed and love God too.

My questions are these:

1)Do you have an intentional plan to evangelize young people that reaches into their own culture? (and what is it)

2) What do you do with professing Christian teenagers as described above?

Legalism loses kids, I see it every day at our Christian school. I am just curious as to what some of you do, whether you are a teenager or an adult who loves them.

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Tater--

I had something sort of similar happen to me when I was a HS history teacher at a church-sponsored Christian school.

In my case, it was the almost simultaneous proliferation of the old hippie era "peace symbol" by supposedly Christian teenagers.

At first, I wasn't sure what, if anything, I should do about it. Possibly the teens didn't even know what that symbol meant to those of us who'd served in the military during the Vietnam Era [I was active duty USAF 1964-69].

I decided to scrap my intended lesson plans for a couple of classes and focus on the peace movement of the Vietnam era. I showed them pictures of these hippie "peaceniks" with posters sporting the peace symbol. In addition, I showed them media reports of these folks spitting on returning Vietnam vets.

Then I merely asked them, if they were those vets, how would they feel if (for apparently no reason at all) all of the sudden these vets began to see those very peace symbols being worn by their friends whom they knew were Christians.

Surprisingly [well, not really!], many of those peace symbols started disappearing.

(Note: Please do not misconstrue this to be an attack on anyone's views regarding their right to peacably assemble or protest something. As an American, that is your right to do so, and having spent over 20 years in both active and reserve military service, I was thankful to have the opportunity to defend and protect those rights. OK?)

Of course, I do understand that a weed is something inherently more dangerous than a mere symbol.

Tater, you're 100% right to be concerned about the direction that some of our Christian youth seem to be heading and that legalism per se is not the real answer!

Someone once told me that the death of Biblical Christianity in any civilization or culture is but just one generation away from becoming extinct. (And that was told to me some 40 years ago.)

Having a positive youth ministry is one thing, but I venture to say that the greater percentage of young folks today probably aren't reached for Christ by some "ministry."

Rather, they more than likely are reached by their peers who are willing to step out in faith and (with the Holy Spirit's help, of course) witness to their friends at school about how to receive Christ as their Savior.

Again, Tater, I appreciate your concern. :thumbs:

May God richly bless all of those who are actively reaching their peers for Jesus Christ, no matter what age they may be!! :applause:

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was recently informed about this 4-20 day from my daughter. She was telling me of racial threats and several rumors involving violence about this day going around the school. Evidently it is Hitler's birthdate.

She goes to a public school with around 3000 students. As a proud father I must tell you that she is the only freshman and of a select few that have been asked to take classes in order to council and mediate with other students settling disputes and having them sign contracts to abide by. She starts the classes after school today.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

One of the weakest areas of most youth ministries I have been a part of and seen in my time of ministry. Most youth ministries are built around programs and activities that are centered more around the church, the church building, etc. Many talk a good game about getting into their culture and reaching youth, but few are doing a good job at it. Thus, our churches are dying.

Love them. Disciple them. Learn from them. Together begin to reach into their culture and not just sit back and wait for them to come through the doors of the church.

It loses kids, and anything else that gets in its path. We must avoid legalism at every turn, our churches today are dying and failing to reach people because they are bound by legalism. People are so caught up in rules and their own preferences that they have lost the essence of a spiritual walk with the Lord.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

We used to distribute packs of rolling papers with scripture on the cover. When they were done with them, they could mail them back to us indicating whether or not they had believed, but we didn't get many of them back. Now we just pretty much preach against dope.

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

lol, was that a joke?

4-20 is Bob marley's birthday

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

You caught me.

I think that the solution to the problem has to start at home. Parents have to take a proactive role in a child's life in order to keep him from making decisions that will lead to things like drugs and fornication.

8. gekko

gekko New Member

mary-jane is basically legal in BC here... so what can we do other then show the consequences.

and explain the biblical definition of sin. the holy spirit will lead us.

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're speaking of Hitler's bithdate, and the threats, no joke. The entire district is going to be on alert and many parents are keeping their kids out of school that day. Seems that here the concern is more on the violence than the drugs. Sorry didn't mean to change the subject; just saw the date and thought it relevant.

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

no, the joke this was about the rolling papers

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Tater,

Yes there is a huge sub-culture online of teens and adults who chat at a few popular websites. Too often, they meet in person afterwards. I am not sure if you know what the titles are for your threads, but the second is very bad.
    Many parents fool themselves into believing these sites are safe, or choose to educate their kids beforehand on how to avoid the "bad areas" You can't avoid the bad area's. I search these out from time to time to ensure my son's name is not listed on any of them. When finding a few of my son's friends myspace webpage which often contains inappropriate material or pictures, I speak with them privately. One popular website in our area allow kids and adults to meet for just s*x or romance, such as friends with benefits.

I believe most teens learn these codes online. I wish parents would stand firm by limiting the amount of time their children are online. Do outdoorsy type activities, or find other things for the kids to do at the very least.
    The internet is so dangerous, even worse than tv.
    Bless you for caring :praying:
    Joe

#11 Joe, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Yes, I undestand the terms, and thats why I started the thread. (Thats just a gross concept isnt it? lol).I am bothered that todays "Christian" teens are able to seperate their morality from the spirituality.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

I'm with ya!

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You are so right on this.

The codes, such as 4/20 and friends with benefits is tricky---and there are many other.

The internet is not a place for children to surf unattended, and certainly Myspace is definitely one of those places you need to check with your child on regularly.