1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

4 or 5 views on essential doctrines?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by CarpentersApprentice, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

So when two human Christians, both claiming to "hear" the Holy Spirit , arrive at diametrically opposed conclusions about the interpretation of key doctrines (ie related to salvation), how does another human Christian decide which one is correct and which one has the less than perfect hearing?

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Simple according to some on the list. Could the truth always be held by the one with ‘absolute knowledge?’:tonofbricks:

#42 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Doubting Thomas, why is it that some on the list have ‘absolute knowledge’ of their salvation, while the rest of us hold our assurance by faith?

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Doubting Thomas,

By listening to both views, considering them, and the most important thing....always always always have the attitude of asking God to grant wisdom and to personally teach you. Have the attitude, "Open my eyes,Lord, that I might behold wonderful things from your word"

Mike

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not just the Catholics - you missed out the Orthodox, Anglicans, Lutherans etc, all of who believe in the concept of The Church . Why the Roman strawman?
    That's you're interpretation. The usual question follows: how many Bodies does Christ have?

It isn't
    Again, your interpretation. I would retort that Matt 19:14, read in conjunction with other Scriptures such as Mark 16:16 and John 3:5 (baptism being necessary for salvation), results in the necessary inference being drawn that infants must be admitted to baptism; "let the little children come to Me" - how else can babies come to Him except by baptism?

Again, your interpretation, which seems to me more far-fetched than this verse being about baptism, which is how Christians have always understood it.
    No, its perfectly in line with Scripture - Mark 16:16, John 3:5, I Peter 3:21 etc

All you have given here is your interpretation of these Scriptures, which goes against that of Christians across the centuries. Why should I give any heed to your man-made intepretations?

6. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Why is it that you haven't answered my question?

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rest of the strawman(woman) from Rome: she is the mother, the co-redemptrix, also the first "Christian" entity to run the State.

To finish from yesterday: back at Mars Hill.

Acts 16:15, Where does it say she had any infants? Do all households have infants? This is unnecessary inference, not a good foundation for a doctrine.

Acts 16:33, Where does it say he had any infants--same argument as vs. 15. That seems to be really thin ice--kind of like the agrument from silence.

Co. 2:12, No infants are referenced here either. The letter is written to saints and faithful brethren in Christ at Colosse.

Then there is Mark 16:9-20, including vs. 16. I do not agree with some of the teachings on the following website; however, they do hit the mark on: "Baptism & Mark 16:16".
    See this article at: www.carm.org
    A lot of Bible language scholars agree that Mk. 16:9-21 may have been added by an overzealous scribe. These verses do not appear until very late copies. Mk. 16:16 is questionable, perhaps, spurious, perhaps, probably not a good foundation for a doctrine.

The scripture plainly teaches that we are not saved by our works. Baptism is a work--of two people--the candidate to seek being baptized and someone to administer same. Again, Eph. 2:8-10 plainly contradicts baptismal salvation. There are others.

How did the thief on the cross get to heaven without baptism? Maybe the Roman soldiers sprinkled vinegar water on his head. Probably it was not Peter or any apostle--they had all forsaken Jesus and fled.

Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin. While blood may contain water, water does not equal blood. Jesus paid it all. All of our righteous acts are as filthy rags to God.

Selah,

Bro. James

#47 Bro. James, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  8. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Were does it say she didn’t?
    I’d say during the time of Act’s most did, since birth control was not like it is in 2008. Furthermore, I’m confident to say that many, many, many households were converted, not mentioned in Scripture.

Were does it say she didn’t have an infant or small child? You’re not arguing from silence are you Bro.?

Just b/c no references are made, doesn’t mean there wasn’t any.

Oh…blame it on an overzealous scribe…that’s how we get around the obvious…neat

Except for that pesky “overzealous scribe”….

As an Orthodox Christian, we don’t believe that Baptism is going to guarantee one Heaven (a non-baptized Catechumen can still go to heaven). We still have to preserve to the end and finish the race. We baptize infants and small children (my two three year-olds were baptized a month ago), not to be “saved” in the sense to rid one of Original Sin or save them from limbo.

Ours is more of bringing the child into the Church, we bring the child to Christ through baptism, just as circumcision was once done and they become members of the Body of Christ.

My kids eat at my dinner table…as young as they are, they set with us. We don’t separate them to another room to eat until they “understand” what it means to eat with the family and be apart of a family. It’s the same way in the Church…the Orthodox Church anyway.

In XC
    -

9. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do believe we have a completely different set of jargon.

The way of the holy see will get one only to purgatory. Then what? Purged from sins the price of which Jesus has already paid?
    The Apostle John wrote: "these things have I written unto you that you may KNOW that you HAVE eternal life..."

The burden of proof lies with those who would support a doctrine using unnecessary inferences from scripture, especially in light of the fact that there are many plain scripture which plainly teach the contrary. This can be demonstrated using the Duay-Confraternity, as revised or whatever, without the footnotes please. Then add the footnotes and observe the contradictions.

If one allows Sola Scripture to stand, most of the differences go away. The holy see will not abide such. The scripture has been polluted by the doctrines and commandments of fallible men/women. (Papal infallibility is a realatively recent doctrine)Without agreeing to an infallible standard, there is no basis for discussion. Men are not infallible, in fact, we are all depraved.

When two or more disagree, they all cannot be right--they could all be wrong. This is why Sola Scriptura is such a pivotal doctrine. A lot of saints have died refusing to recant their belief in this plain doctrine--these were the same ones who refused to baptize their infants.

Selah,

Bro. James

#49 Bro. James, Jul 16, 2008
  10. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Probably so, you’re a second generation Protestant still protesting the Roman Catholic Church, who were in fact, technically, the first Protestant Church.

Nothing of which Matt or any other has posted is in conflict with Scripture. The original intent of sola scriptura from Luther, a young RC monk, was that which is not in conflict with Scripture and Papal Infallibility and indulgences were all in conflict. Thus Luther sought to reform the Church and bring her back on track.

And the reforming continues today in 2008 with the birth of new denominations seeking to reform.

For a Church to have to constantly reform itself and birth little reforming Churches, means that Christ who promised to protect His Church and lead His Church into all Truth until the end of the world has failed.

In XC
    -

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Most 'households' (oikoi) would have included all generations of the family including infants. If wealthy, they would also have included slaves and their children

See above. Not so much an argument form silence as a fuller understanding of the term oikos.

Infants were circumcised, weren't they?

Fine. Rip it out of your Bible then. Go on. I dare you.

12. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

:thumbs: Good point Matt!:thumbs:
    and is inline with the culture of the time period of the Bible. Again we need to interpret the bible in a First Century context.

ICXC NINKA
    -

13. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My copy of Thayer's: Greek-English Lexicon of the NT gives the following regarding the Gk. word oikos. a. strictly, an inhabited house, b. any building whatever, c. any dwelling place of the human body.

i.e. an inhabited house. What one can say about the age of the dwellers is not even good speculation. There are many households which have no infants dwelling therein. To say infants must be there is at best an unnecessary inference and not convincing evidence for infant baptism.
    The burden of proof lies with those who would contend for something not specifically stated.

IN HOC SIGNO NIKE

Shalom,

Bro. James

#53 Bro. James, Jul 16, 2008
  14. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Why stop at infants? How about converted households with toddlers? Again, many, many, many households were converted to Christianity during the NT era and we see NO evidence from Scripture or the Early Church that infant or young children being baptized was frowned upon. Not until well after the Reformation.

You arguing from silence doesn't help. Keep your wallet in your pocket...

ICXC NIKA
    -

15. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is not about silence. The point is: the burden of proof of an inference lies with the one who infers. All the other side says is "prove it". You cannot; the best you have is an unnecessary inference garnished with the commandments of men.

We ought to obey God, rather than men.

Shalom,

Bro. James

16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Prove that infants weren't baptised.

Oh, and we do obey God: we don't forbid the little children from coming to Christ (Matt 19:14)

17. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello all,

Keep in mind that the ancient world operates differently than the world today does. I can imagine that the head of the household was the head indeed. His family was subjected to him as well as were all the servants. So if the father came to faith it is resonable in their mind to have everyone baptised children, servants, etc... when discussing matters of the early church context of the period is important.

18. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Good point. I also believe that in studying church history, the first real decision that was made regarding baptism was not whether infants should be baptized, but whether it was necessary to wait 8 days as was the case for circumcision, was it not?

Regarding Scripture doesn't tell us to....Scripture doesn't tell us they must wait either. There is no record in Scripture of someone who was raised in a Christian home coming to baptism later in life. Seems to me there should have been a logical discussion about 'when a child was ready' or about 'age of accountability' that would have been recorded in Scripture had it actually occured.

19. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

More or less...Cyprian did indeed write that it was not necessary for an infant to wait 8 days before being baptized. OTOH, Tertullian advocated a delay in baptism until the child was old enough to decide for himself; however, this may reflect his rigorist view on the difficulty of having sins forgiven after baptism (of course, we know Tertullian later cast his lot with the Montanists). Irenaeus, however, certainly thought that infants could be reborn in Christ, and he believed that baptism was the occasion (or instrument) of regeneration

Good point.

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Mark 16:16 contains no hint at water-baptism. On the contrary, it literally excludes the thought of water-baptism, and technically identifies believing and baptism: 'ho pisteysas kai baptistheis sohthehsetai' - "He who believing-being-baptised is indeed saved."