1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

4 Views on God's Foreknowledge - Omniscience

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Faith alone, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Freedom of choice to do what? Act out the pre-selected world that God has determined?

How can there be freedom of choice on the part of man if in fact he is just choosing a predetermined possible world God has foreordained?

This whole MK idea is as deterministic and fatalistic as any other Calvinist system as far as I can see. How can it be any different if in fact it ends up with the same outcome, i.e. God as the cause? You say we are not puppets, but if the only possibility to do is that which is caused by God, how is this any different than a puppet that has the same kind of freedom to act out what the puppeteer determines?

Freedom does not lie in the doing, but in the determining of the intents, in being the ‘cause’ of those intents.

In the MK model, just as in the old deterministic Calvinistic model, God is the Cause, as least if what FA has stated is correct. All the MK mental gymnastics proves to be but worthless wrangling, for the freedom of the will it held out as a proposed end is lost in the conclusion that God alone is the actual cause.

I say that from what I have witnessed thus far, the freedom of MK is no freedom at all and does nothing to free itself from the determinism of Calvinism. No wonder why DTS would believe as such. MK appears to be just another road to the same Calvinistic and deterministic end. The main differnce that I see is that MK just has a lot of mental gymnastic detours one must take along the way.

2. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Whosoever will

Brandon,

I'm really busy, so my response time will be pretty slow. Sorry.

There are dozens of verses that say, some quite clearly, others merely implying, that salvation is offered to "everyone," "whosoever," and the whole "world" and look to individuals to respond to the gospel plea. For example, 1 John 2:2 says, "He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." Calvinists say that verses which appear to say that salvation is offered to "everyone" should actually be read as "salvation is offered to all of the elect." But 1 John 2:2 above doesn't work even with that approach. That involves twisting a natural reading of the texts, IMO.

So are unbelievers totally incapable of responding to God in faith? I do not see that anywhere in scripture. Is God involved in the process of drawing people to faith in His Son? Most definitely. And that work is absolutely necessary.

OK, here's a few verses which show that man can respond to God, he can seek Him.

But first, two things need to be emphasized here:

1 - Man has the capacity to believe and is held responsible if he does not do so in many places in the Bible.

2 - Man's faith can only occur in response to divine illumination.

"...God rewards those who diligently seek Him" (Heb 11:6). Jesus said, "If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority" (John 7:17). Clearly man has the capacity to desire to do God's will... and if such a one sincerely seeks God, He will reveal the truth to him.

Paul's statement that "there is none who seeks after God" in Rom 3:11 may seem at first glance to contradict this, but it doesn't. This text does not say that man cannot seek God. Look more closely. In Acts 17:26-27 Paul makes it clear that man can and should seek God. But he doesn't (unprompted by the Spirit) and, therefore, is responsible for not doing so. I know that this appears to be picking at straws, but it is relevant to the concept of "total depravity," which most definitely cannot be ignored when considering the election/choosing of God. That is a key to understanding this apparent contradiction, IMO. There are none who do seek God on their own. Only those drawn to God DO seek God. But God draws more than just the elect. Hence, the purpose of the gospel. But only the elect will respond to the point of trusting in Him - eventually.

The Bible teaches that God genuinely desires all of those who are perishing to be saved. 2 Peter 3:9 says, "He is patient with you, not willing/desiring for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance."

Why are people perishing? Is it because they cannot come to God? No. The Bible says people are perishing because no one has brought them the message, and that is consisnt in the OT as well as in the NT. Hosea 4:6 says, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" and Corinthians 15:34 says, "For there are some who are ignorant of God - I say this to your shame."

I don't see how we can keep the irresistible grace soteriology from essentially leading to saying that God "hates" all of those of the non-elect. (I realize that Reformed theology does not, in general, teach that either, but logically, how can we not end up there?) That is an issue I have with it. Yet, when the rich young ruler turned his back on Jesus, we read that Jesus "loved" him, and that is certainly consistent with what we would expect of a God of love.

There are many verses where God commands the world to seek Him. But if some are not capable of seeking God, why did He command it? For example, Hebrews 11:6 says, "He rewards those who earnestly seek him." Acts 17:26, 27 speaks of His sovereingly working in the world to cause us to respond to Him:

Acts 17:26, 27, 30 From one man He has made every nation of men to live all over the earth and has determined their appointed times and the boundaries of where they live, 27 so that they might seek God, and perhaps they might reach out and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us. ... He commands all people everywhere to repent."

Here you can see that God has arranged things in such a manner that we are capable of responding. How could God command everyone to repent if we are not capable of doing something in response to this command? (BTW, "repent" [METANOEW/METANOIA] essentially means to change your mind regarding some perceived need... it does NOT mean "to turn from sin to God.)

Why would God say to Israel, "Seek me and live" (Amos 5:4) if this was already predetermined? God was offering his salvation to the whole nation of Israel. Yet from the Bible we know that not all of the Israelites became believers. This means many of the Israelites God wanted to go to heaven ended up going to gehenna. The same will be true now.

The Bible also says we can resist God. For example, look at Matthew 23:37, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." This means some people were resisting God’s call to salvation. It also means some people were condemned against His will. This does not contradict God's sovereignty - because God is just and cannot act in such a manner in which we are forced to respond in a certain manner since that would contradict his justice.

To say that God is sovereign is not to say that He controls everything that happens like a puppet-master. And few Calvinists do think this way.

Why did Jesus have to suffer such a terrible spiritual damnation? It could be argued that there was no need for us to be lost and ultimately redeemed. That there was no need for Jesus to suffer such a brutal, humiliating, and despicable punishment in our place...

There is an interesting argument that says that it election is truly irresistible then parental influence should not increase or decrease a child’s liklihood of becoming a Christian. However, we find children raised in Christian homes are several times more likely to become Christians than children who are raised in atheistic homes. Also, children who are raised by mature Christians are much more likely to become Christians than children raised by spiritually immature Christians. We cannot ignore the logic based on this observation, that our choices do make a difference regarding salvation.

Joshua in Joshua 24:15 admonished the children of Israel to "choose you this day whom you will serve... but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." If God's grace is irresistible, then why was it so important for Joshua to make this stern warning? It just doesn't make sense to me.

IMO the doctrine of irresistible grace presents a God who is arbitrary, rather than loving, compassionate, and not willing for any to perish. The basic premise of irresistible grace says that God chose to love or hate certain people purely on an arbitrary basis. Well, we do know that He loves us even though we are all sinners, but why should I have been chosen and some other sinner have been rejected? Certainly not based on any quality about me. But there is a basis, a clear, biblical one... faith, and faith alone. God has chosen to use this response of mankind. Why? Because faith indicates a reliance upon God, rather than myself. It assumes that we have no ability to come to God on our own, and that we recognize our deplorable, sinful state. There is absolutely nothing to brag about a faith that says, "OK, I'm a mess. I can't do a thing unless you do it, Lord. Help!"

SO IMO without a balance in this doctrine, we face a multitude of problems with getting God's Word and God Himself to be consistent. And if you think about it, love can not be commanded... it is a response. God allowed us to choose so that we could respond in love to Him. You can’t force someone to truly love you. In order for us to truly have the ability to love God, we need to have the ability to reject Him.

And such a view of sovereignty makes prayer essentially useless as well. Why ask God to alter events if everything is already completely set in stone... if our requests make absolutely no difference at all? But there are not only many scripture texts that tell us that our prayers will prompt God to respond, we are told that God is pleased when we pray. I realize that this is from God's perspective, but we cannot ignore that logic.

Look at Job. Satan knew that when faced with very difficult circumstances that we might be brought to the position of cursing God. Satan truly thought this was possible. And in the end, we see that Job did not have the perfect response. His self-righteousness was glaringly obvious.

I am speaking about irresistible grace because that is a key argument against my position that says that we can respond to the gospel and God is appealing to all to do so.

I think I need to stop here and continue my arguments in the next post.

FA

3. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

More "whosoever will"

Brandon,

The parables of the lost things in Luke 15 (lost sheep, lost coin, and the lost son – Luke 15:3-32) show that there is great joy when a lost item is recovered. The application intended is that this is especially true when a lost sinner is saved. Yet where would be the great joy if this was fully predestinated to happen - and we have no choice whatsoever in the matter?

There are parables of varying amounts of rewards at the BEMA seat (judgment seat) of Christ. Why would God reward varying degrees of obedience if it is all predetermined?

I firmly believe in election. The Scriptures teach that God chooses those who will be a part of His family, IMO. But are the non-elect able to choose to believe in Christ? Some would say that only the elect can believe. They would say that the non-elect are unable to choose to believe. That's where we part company.

Belief in individual election does not necessitate belief that the non-elect cannot trust in Christ. I happen to believe they can - from man's perspective. Of couse, also from God's perspective, no one would respond in faith if God does not draw them and convict them of their sin and need for a Savior. Butthat does not negate the choice - the will of the one who comes to believe the gospel.

Jesus said, "If I be lifted up, I will draw all unto Me" (John 12:32). All most naturally refers to all people, each and every one, including the non-elect. In John 16:8ff Jesus said that the Spirit would convict the world of "sin, righteousness, and judgment." This is the same world (KOSMOS - "world system") as in John 3:16. Christ died for all in the world (John 3:16; 1 John 2:2) and everyone could be said to be drawn by God to Him. God is drawing both the elect and the non-elect to Himself. But will all respond to the gospel? No. Only the elect will respond in faith. But could the non-elect respond in faith? From OUR perspective, "yes," they could. But from God's pespective, "no," they could not.

I take this position because it would be very difficult to show from scriptures that God does not make an appeal to everyone. Things have to be done regarding how "world" (KOSMOS) and "all" (PAS) are viewed in passages in which gospel appeals are made that I do not feel comfortable about. All is all.

In 2 Thessalonians 2:13, we see Paul who is really excited about the fantastic growth of these Gentile believers, in contrast to the unbelievers Paul had just mentioned. In context, it shows both "free agency" and "election" aspects, IMO:

2 Thessalonians 2:9-14 The coming of the lawless one is based on Satan's working, with all kinds of false miracles, signs, and wonders, and with every unrighteous deception among those who are perishing. They perish because they did not accept the love of the truth in order to be saved. (Notice that unbelioevers can display a "love of the truth." To those who respond positively to the truth shown them, God will reveal more truth. I have been saying this often recently, and here is one more place it is clear.) For this reason God sends them a strong delusion so that they will believe what is false, so that all will be condemned--those who did not believe the truth but enjoyed unrighteousness.
    (Notice that the determining factor here is whether they believe the truth [above] or believe what is false.)

But we must always thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God has chosen you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and through belief in the truth. He called you to this through our gospel, so that you might obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    (Notice that God chose us not only through sanctification by the Spirit but also through belief in the truth. I still see two aspects to our coming to Christ - God's part and our part. God does it all. We will never believe unless the Spirit works, but we do believe - we can respond in faith to the truth.)

The reason Paul was so excited was that God had chosen them for eternal life... "before time began" through sanctification by the Spirit and also through belief in the truth. Here "sanctification" is referring to being set apart for His purpose. BTW, the word for "choose" here is different than usually used. (It's used only here and Philippians 1:22 - "to choose, to take, as in picking out fruit." In Phil. 1:22 it refers to Paul's saying that he has difficulty choosing between remaining to minister in their lives, or to go to be with the Lord.)

So IMO Paul consistently taught that the initiative, the starting point in salvation, comes from God, not man. This is true in every instance IMO. The means God uses to bring about salvation is the work of His Holy Spirit who convicts us of sin and our need for a Savior and then sets aside chosen individuals for lives of separation from sin. He accomplishes that through the sending of men to preach the gospel. But let's not forget the human aspect of salvation: belief in the truth of the gospel. The Holy Spirit then continues to use the Word of God to sanctify the believer’s life.

IMO, it all ties together. But if I ignore the responsibility of the individual to respond to the work of the Spirit, or if we denegrate the choosing by God, our picture will be lacking in some point. We also will be able to find verses which clearly teach that the other side, which we're denouncing, actually has some validity.

And we must not forget that God is drawing everyone to Himself:
    John 12:32, "And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself." - NET

Because of that, they CAN respond. That is assumed, is it not? Read the text by itself, and who would normally come to any other conclusion? God is not willing that ANY should perish... As I said, I agree with Calvinists in that unless the Spirit worked in our hearts we would not be able to respond to the gospel. But I do not equate that with the new birth. The new birth is a result of our response of faith in Christ when we hear the gospel. The ordo salutis ("order of salvation") is different here. (Rom. 10 - "how can they..." Just check out the order of salvation, the ordo salutis, there.)

FWIW,

I'd like to look at Lydia in Acts and see God's working and her choosing as well as election as taught in 1 Corinthian 1 - a seldom used text, but that will require another post... sometime later.

FA

4. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

But I really do not want this thread to reduce down to arguments for or against Calvinism.

Can those of you who hold to another position explain why you like that particular position? You've obviously done a lot of thinking about it, and I'm very curious about that.

FA

5. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

6. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I'll admit I didn't read your lengthy posts, and I'm not interested in another calvinism vs. arminianism thread. However, my joke was simply a quick attempt to point out that there is a presupposition at work that says that for man to be responsible for his actions, then he must be free in the libertarian sense. This is why I joke a little when people try to make the case that Scripture implies libertarian free will.

You can't prove that presupposition with Scripture and at best you can use intuition, which is just a way of saying that you want to believe something but can't really give evidence for it.

I perused your responses and my point is simply that a compatibilistic view of free will seems to cover all your points. You're right we both have thought, prayed, meditated a lot about the nature of these things and so we both have our reasons for believing what we believe. To be sure, man has a role to play in both preaching and hearing the gospel, but I simply believe that God is the initiator on both counts. What part of man does not need redeeming? I say nothing, but those who hold to libertarian free will say that man's will does not really need redeeming--it just needs to be given a fair chance (or something like that).

take care friend,
    BJ

#26 Brandon C. Jones, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2006
  7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: In case you need a real example of a straw man FA, here is a classic example. This is about the most misrepresented and mischaracterized notion of an opponent of deterministic fatalism I have read so far on this list. One does not arrive at such unfair representations in prayer with a Holy and Just God. If one does, the connection needs to be checked.

8. Brandon C. Jones

lol, hopefully FA will not provide such a backhanded slam as you questioning my connections.

Boy was that fun to read :)

9. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

BJ,

I take the time to answer your question, which requires some work and cannot be done w/ brevity, and you don't read it? But I much appreciate the tone of your response, and the joke went right by me, BTW.

Now FYI I agree fully that God must be the initiator, though I do not refer to such initiation as regeneration. You say that those who hold to a libertarian free will say that man's will does not really need redeeming--it just needs a fair chance.

I don't think that represents how I or those with my position think. Man needs redeeming, and God must initiate that. But nowhere does the Bible specifically refer to redeeming the will that I am aware. The person is dead spiritually and needs to become a new creation.

I started this thread in the hopes of interesting some, such as yourself, who have done some thinking about this issue. I am not interested in a Calvinist-Arminian debate here either - esp. since I am neither, though closer to Calvinist.

BTW, I assume you are aware that Craig holds to a libertarian free will for man, right, as did Molina? A libertarian free will simply means that he makes the choices of his own volition. The assumption that is made is that God cannot predetermine what such a person will do and he truly have a free will in the libertarian sense. But that is based on a limited view of God's omniscience in which God only knows of (or needs to know of) those events which were counterfactuals to the actual world. He need not, or does not, know of any counterfactuals to hypothetical worlds. But I see no basis for that, and I have already listed a couple of examples in which God's Word assumes or asserts that God does have such counterfactual knowledge.

Anyway, perhaps you could share with us how those scriptures often quoted regarding man's free will are not libertarian in nature, and while doing so could you define what you mean by that? I'd much appreciate it. I'm really not looking to debate this. I want to understand the various positions better, and it's obvious you can help with the Augustinian viewpoint.

Thx,

FA

#29 Faith alone, Sep 16, 2006
  10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: No backhanded slam about your connections. Your totally unfair misrepresentations of another’s views demands a clear straightforward response as I gave. You beat as one beateth the air with such clear misrepresentations. I would ask you kindly to show forth one solitary statement by any individual that makes the claims you attributed to them.

When you come up with a blank, go back and check your connections and then set the record straight with a fair representation of their views.

11. Brandon C. Jones

it appears I've wandered into the fundamentalist forum or something like that. I'll not make that mistake again. :) (hint, that means just kidding)

In all seriousness, it appears someone's a little testy. Get a grip man. Don't be so offended. Trust me, I've put up with far worse scarecrows in my experiences here. No there's no examples I have on hand of people saying the same, but is that not what monergism vs. synergism boils down to? I'll take the arminian arguments I disagree with about Calvinism like a man (automatons, double predestination, fatalism, etc.).

Now to address the OP and one who posted it. I'm sorry I didn't read your long posts, but I was asking a rhetorical question as a joke and was not expecting such a response. I know Scripture doesn't speak of "wills" being saved as opposed to persons. I suppose my curiousity is why some believe and others do not. What's so special about the one's that accept the gospel? What do they have that others don't? As to the freedom/foreknowledge stuff like I said before I recommend a certain work and apparently you own it so it won't be expensive to see pretty much what I believe.

I do have a friend who believes in molinism but not from a libertarian free will standpoind; in fact i'm headed to his house soon so perhaps I'll get him to tell me a bit more about it. He's more of a philosopher than I am and he rejected libertarian free will after a while because he found it unintelligble (what is the basis for choices?). Don't get me wrong plenty philosophers hold to libertarian free will and like you said Bill Craig would be one of them. Most put the crux of libertarian free will as being able to choose otherwise. Compatibilistic free will puts the crux at choosing based on one's desires without constraint.

From what I recall my friend holds to molinism in that God has foreknown (actively according to him) the counterfactual that the future exent x may happen. Thus, it's kind of similar to Boyd's "neo-molinism," which in layman's terms is like a choose your own adventure novel. God knows the possibilities and can use any of them to accomplish His ends. Now my friend was sympathetic to open theism in the past if you can't tell already. He still believes in compatibilism and when I asked him why he doesn't just believe in soft-determinism like I do, he said that God didn't need to have that much control. I said fair enough.

My beef with molinism is still twofold: first, the grounding objection: here's a very short version of it http://branemrys.blogspot.com/2005/08/why-molinists-must-answer-grounding.html

Second, let's say the grounding objection isn't an issue (like Craig claims): then does middle knowledge of counterfactuals qualify as knowledge at all if libertarian freedom is involved. That is if the events haven't happened you can't say you have knowledge of them until they do actually happen. All middle knowledge gives is a very educated guess, but a very educated, divine guess is still not the same as knowledge.

That may be why Yandell (a staunch libertarian free will Christian philosopher) avoids molinism and opts for the Ockamist solution, which I still think has problems in the passive foreknowledge=trouble planning dept. I must say the God's relationship to time as the answer for everything crowd, as much as they drive me nuts, at least don't have to worry about all this stuff regarding freedom and foreknowledge if one believes in libertarian free will (although Feinberg does at least adress the Boethian view in his book).

In the end, we should view these as non-essential beliefs and be on the same team in reaching a lost world for Christ. That's why I tire of some discussions on the board that degenerate into personal attacks and the like. Soon I learn who is fun to have a conversation with and who is to be ignored.

Okay, I didn't read your long posts and now have edited mine to be a novella :). I'm sorry. I've got to take a break and get back to other things. Have a great time at church tomorrow as we marvel in our wonderful creator.

BJ

#31 Brandon C. Jones, Sep 16, 2006
  12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. God is all-knowing
    #2. that does NOT LIMIT free will - because if it did then the Angels in heaven would not have free will, Christ Himself did not have free will and worst of all - GOD does not have free will!

#3. God ENABLES free will in the Arminian model the SAME WAY He does in the Calvinist model because EVEN calvinists ADMIT that ALL WHOM God supernaturaly DRAWS to Him are ENABLED to choose.

The DIFFERENCE is that the Arminian position says "God draws ALL TO HIMSELF" John 12:32 - whereas the Calvinist view is that God draws only the arbitrarily select FEW!

In Christ,

Bob

13. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Brandon,

I did not start this thread IOT have people arguing with one another about who's right and have a bunch of labeling and name-calling. I wanted to have a thread which was stimulating and thought-provoking for many who may, as myself, not have heard of such things before (until relatively recently).

As such, I am very interested in the arguments that lay people put forth. Yes, I have a couple of books which give me a definition and description of your position, just as you can see my own with similar works. But I am sure that my position is different than William Lane Craig's. But it makes sense to me. I was hoping that your descriptions would be revealing to me as well.

Now regarding the blue text above, God's Word tells us that there's nothing special about them, just as the Israelites were not better than other nations. In 1 Corinthians 1 we read that not many believers were powerful, wise or rich.

But God chose to make the gospel available to all who simply rely upon His work on the cross. It's fair. All are saved purely by grace. But all can choose to rely upon Him to save them.

In general I simply find it reasonable to assume that God knows so much more than we give Him credit for. And I refuse to believe that all those appeals to trust in Christ were intended to be understood as "once I save you, you will be able to believe and to choose Me." That is simply not what the Greek structure allows. So hence I find myself in a quandrary. The gospel was genuinely made available to all, and God chose those who would believe. Middle knowledge gives me a possible framework that would make it possible.

FA

#33 Faith alone, Sep 16, 2006
  14. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Free will is at it crux freedom of the ‘will’ not desires. Compatibilistic free will states that one chooses according to ones desires. I find the added notation by you concerning ‘without constraint’ as a most interesting point. How can something governed by necessity be ‘without constraint’ when the desires are indeed most often thought of as necessitated impulses of the sensibilities?

Do you honestly think that our desires are chosen freely? Take any temptation for instance. If there was absolutely no desire, how could one be tempted?? Desires reside outside of the will in the sensibilities.

Eve desired the fruit for several reasons yet sin did not occur UNTIL she yielded her will in accordance to those desires. The will indeed chooses between desires, desires acting as a temptation or a proclivity to sin, or an influence to righteousness. Just the same, we are called often to will in direct opposition to the strongest desires. I often tell myself and my children to ‘do the right thing regardless of how strong the desires seems to entice us.’

Desires are an influence to sin, proclivity to sin, or righteous behavior, but do not control the will if in fact the individual is a moral agent. If any desire controls the actions of the will to the point that there is only one possible outcome, the will is under bondage and no morality can be predicated of any subsequent intents. Such a one would be the basis of entering a mental institute, for such a one would be practically speaking insane, controlled by their desires alone.

Morality is not based upon desires, but is the results of choosing between desires. When the will chooses in the direction of a desire, the distinct possibility has to exist that the will could have chosen something other than the desire it followed under the very same set of circumstances in order for freedom to be predicated of the will.

Freedom of the will specifically denotes freedom from bondage to any desire. If the will is under bondage to desire, it is not free. Freedom and bondage cannot coexist as a state of the will at the same time. It is either one or the other.

There is no doubt that if one is following the teaching of men like Jonathan Edwards regarding the will, one eliminates any and all freedom concerning the will, and accepts a clear notion of a necessitated will, not a free will.

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: If God is the Cause, it is a given that He chose……but if He is the Cause, we are not free. You cannot entertain the notion that God is the Cause and yet somehow we choose without entertaining an absurdity. If no other option exists but the one that God chooses, and that by God choosing such it comes to pass, free will is a chimera. We, as part of the redeemed, would be necessitated by the Cause that caused us.

On the other hand, if God chose us, NOT in the sense of ‘being the cause,’ but simply by foreknowing that we, if granted the opportunity, would respond in obedience to the offer in light of the conditions He set forth, of our own free will, the will can indeed be free as Scripture and reason and experience attest.

Just as the governor that chooses a criminal to pardon and does so of his own volition apart from any force or coercion to do so by the actions of the criminal, but just the same he does not grant a pardon without regard to the fact of the prisoner being truly repentant and having a change of heart and attitude towards his former crimes. The criminal is not pardon ‘for the sake of his actions, for nothing can force the governor to pardon the criminal. Just the same, neither will he be pardoned apart from his actions. The repentant attitude on the part of the criminal is thought of in the sense of ‘not without which’ not ‘that for the sake of.’

We are not saved for the sake of any choice we make including the choice to repent or believe, but neither will we be saved apart from fulfilling the conditions God has set forth for us to fulfill, and that without any force or coercive influence upon our will, including any influence by God. Influences upon the will must be and remain passive for the will to be considered as free, whether influences of selfishness or benevolence. If something outside of the human will is said to be ‘the cause,’ no freedom of the will can exist.

God is indeed the influence, without which we would not choose to accept His invitation, but He is not ‘the cause’ of our choosing. If anything sustains to the will the relationship of a cause, the will is not free. Free will is a chimera if in fact there is a ‘cause’ that the choices of our will can be ascribed other than the will of man itself.

I cannot see how MK can or does in fact avoid a necessitated will as opposed to a free will when you freely admit that ‘God is indeed the Cause.’

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that God is all-knowing but the Calvinist argument (among some 4 and 5 point Calvinist) is that God actually makes Satan do what he is doing - God "creates evil" because to argue that he does not is to put "something" outside of God's absolute dictatorship - making Him "less sovereign" in their eyes.

So my question was for those who hold to that view.

In Christ,

Bob

17. Heavenly Pilgrim

There are obviously differing senses in which the word ‘cause’ or caused’ can be used. ‘Caused’ can indeed be denoted as something that necessitates, and ‘cause’ or ‘caused’ can be thought of in the sense of something that influences.

In the case of God, in relationship to moral intents of man, ‘cause’ denotes influence not force or coercion. Proof? God blames or praised man for such intents.

It can be said that ’I caused’ the sharp reaction by Brandon a few posts ago, evidenced by his reaction, yet it cannot be said that I forced or coerced his response. He, of his own free will responded as he felt he needed to, and yet it again can rightfully be said that 'I caused it.' Here we see an example that indeed because the word ‘cause’ or caused’ is used, it does NOT necessitate that no other possible action or reaction was possible on Bradon’s part, or that I forced or coerced his decision in responding in any way he chose to respond.

God is indeed the ‘cause’ of our salvation, not in the sense of force or coercion, or that there was no other possible action we could have taken, but that we indeed chose of our own free will to respond favorably to His offer and commands, His passive influence, to obedience.

When Scripture uses the word ‘cause or caused,’ we need to understand that if man is to be blamed or praised, nothing can force or coerce the will without eliminating any and all morality. Something may in fact influence the will, and thereby be seen as the 'cause' 'in a sense,' yet it cannot be 'the cause' in the sense of that which forces or coerces the will in any case dealing with moral intents, punishments or rewards.

Morality demands freedom of the will, freedom from any and all causes that would force or coerce. Both virtue and sin demand freedom of choice. Not freedom to ‘do as one wills,’ but freedom to form the intent and as such be properly denoted as the creator of it.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Rev 3 we see the "Active" work of God in coming to each person and knocking on the door. (Calvinists would have God busting down the door and taking over).

In John 1 we see Christ as the "Light of the world that coming into the world enlightens EVERYone".

Again - an active role on God's part.

In John 16 God the Holy Spirit "convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment".

In Johh 12:32 God says He "DRAWS ALL" to himself.

So this is all the supernatural impartial - global - world-wide work of God "on all" -- and this enables ALL to come to Christ - to choose life. And yet ALL do not choose it. Only the FEW of Matt 7 willingly choose to lose their lives and thus "save them".

In Christ,

Bob

19. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: If you would only modify this to read “ and this enables ALL with the necessary abilities to come to Christ and choose life,” we would be in great agreement. :)

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But given all that work listed by God as having been done for the whole world - "every man" in the case of John 1 -- what "necessary abilities" do they "still not have"??