1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

4491 churches will ...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by All about Grace, Sep 16, 2003.

1. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

embark on the 40 Days of Purpose in just a few short weeks. We can't wait!!!

2. Gunther

Gunther New Member

In an unrelated study, 4491 churches have been shown to be theologically inept and lacking in discernment. [​IMG]

3. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

I guess you mean this: web page

At our church we just purpose everyday [​IMG]

4. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Gunther, what is wrong with this? I have read the article and cannot find anything wrong with it.

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't see anything wrong with it either but then some people are not happy unless they complain :rolleyes: ... I'm fixing to buy this book myself and see nothing wrong about being more zealous in my worship... Gunther does this look like the complaint department?... Nobody is twisting your arm to get you to buy the book let alone study it!... Lighten up! :eek: ... I'm always looking at ways of improving my fellowship with the Lord and his people!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I, too, fail to see anything wrong with this, and, I gotta tell you, discernment is one of my spiritual gifts.

7. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Glen, if you don't know who the author is, don't know his philosophy, don't know the issues, I can pretty much write you off as an intelligent advice giver in this situation.

8. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Okay, not to argue the point, but the direction that Warren goes with people, the way he tries to reach them, his theology, his philosophy, etc., I believe is anti-Scripture. Now, I am not alone in this assessment.

We don't have to go back and forth, but there is just no theological meat to this book. Easy believism is everywhere. These guys are a dime-a-dozen.

9. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Gunther, if you were as learned about the issue as you portray yourself to be, you wouldn't be confusing "Purpose" with "easy-believism."

I've read the book through on this one - from beginning to end - and without agenda. I believe I have an objective opinion on this. If a church desires to be seeker-sensitive and to have its members walk closer to God, what is that to you? Whatever you or others might say, Jesus was seeker-sensitive, or he would not have met with the woman at the well, called fishermen to be "fishers of men," healed the lepers, taught in someone's home and healed someone lowered through a roof, sought out a tax collector and went to his house, etc. etc. etc.

You know, the biggest growth that happens with purpose is the growth that God brings in each individual heart. I welcome God's work in the hearts of His congregation.

Most people who are "for" or "against" Purpose Driven have examined the program while carrying their agenda with them. I submit that this is the case here, otherwise their wouldn't be many "anti's."

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Would you be so kind as to give us a link to the SOURCE of this "unrelated study"? :rolleyes:

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gunther... I shall read the book and draw my own conclusions... As you are free to not read it and draw yours... Brother Glen :rolleyes:

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a fan of Warren per se, but seeing people and churches get into the Word of God and also reach out to others is exciting to me.

Let's start a discussion on the doctrinal pro/con of the whole "purpose driven" phenomenon.

13. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Gunther said:

"These guys are a dime-a-dozen."

Kind of reminds me of your posts.

14. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Ignore Gunther. He has been challenged repeatedly to offer support for his words but to no avail.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have often asked for someone to define this term "easy believism".

What is the alternative "difficult believism"?

Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ is the easiest thing I know how to do, in fact for me it is effortless.

HankD

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I am curious ...

Is your complaint that this book teaches that life is not about you and your personal desires but about God and his desires for your life??

Is your complaint that this book teaches that your life should be lived the way that the God who created desired that it should be lived??

Is your complaint that people might spend too much time reflecting on how God's Word affects the way they live??

What exactly is your complaint?

17. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

That's true...he hasn't been around for awhile, at least not in this thread.

18. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Frankly, it is the same thing again and again. I do tire of this stuff.

If I were to bring up a particular issue that I believe Warren and his cronies violate, it would just be written off as a non-essential or a preference.

There is nothing WRONG with outlining the fact that the church has many purposes:

Fellowship
    Evangelism
    Discipleship
    Prayer
    Worship
    Defending the faith
    Being a pillar of truth
    Giving

I know some of these can mesh together, but you get the point.

Basically, here is the point:

a pastor (if he is doing his job) should be explaining the Scriptures, teaching his people why a person exists, what they need to be doing, how to overcome sin, how to witness, how to study the Bible, etc.

He should not be shelling out that kind of money to get the witless anecdotes of Warren.

I further question the discernment and theological knowledge of any "pastor" that turns to Warren. Good grief. Has anyone heard this guys presentation of the gospel? How pathetic and inept.

I mean no direct insult to anyone on this board.

I do come from the expository preaching as primary persuasion. Sort of like MacArthur. I am glad my pastor hasn't wasted church money on Warren's nonsense.

19. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Not true. In this latest post you expressed your opinion, rather than doing a "drive-by."

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Probably not by me ... I do not care for Warren particularly. SBC and I have been through that many times and there is no need to rehash that here.

[qutoe]There is nothing WRONG with outlining the fact that the church has many purposes:[/quote]And most of us think that can be boiled down to four or five broad categories. You say there is nothing wrong with outlining this fact but then you decry the fact that someone outlined it and then illustrated and applied it. Seems strange to me ... Is it wrong or is it not???

I agree ... I think we all would.

I would question the wisdom and discernment of people who turn to many men ... so what???

I would love for you to tell me which of the "nonsense" from the first post on this page you have rejected. I preach exclusively expositorily. I preach no other way. I do not care for Warren's style or his handling of Scripture. But at some level, you need to develop the discernment to see through your personal biases and issues and think critically by interacting with what people actually say. To agree with him on one point (purpose of the church) is not to agree with him on points (music, preaching on salvation, etc). That is a distinction you should be aware of.