1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

5 churchy phrases that are scaring off millennials

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting article on churches and young people.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Only one of them rings true. The others are just whiny "I want to know God my way" complaints that have been around for 4,000 years.

She says one of these phrases that "scares millennials off" is "Clearly the Bible says ..." and claims that her "instant access" to the Internet, which holds thousands of commentaries and articles on faith can help her know that there is nothing "clear" about what the Bible says. She says she wants "humility" from the pastor who will say, "This is where my study has led me, but I could be wrong." The fact is, there is only one biblical truth, and while there are many doctrines built off of God's truth, only one of them is actually right. To determine which one it is, one must study. A pastor's job is to teach and exhort, not lead the congregation by the nose.

She complains about "God will never give you more than you can handle" but there are countless churches that will absolutely reject that phrase as unbiblical, because it is. The truth is, I can't handle anything and my church constantly reminds me of that. If she hasn't found one that will remind her, she hasn't been looking very hard.

She absolutely amazingly and unbelievably complains about churches that love, as in "We just try to love on one another ... " or " ... those kids ... " or whomever might be the object of our love. Well, Addie, excuse me, but that's what God told us to do. Get over yourself.

She complains about terms like "believer, unbeliever, backslider," but what it ends up being, really, is a complaint about "not being accepted" regardless of her spiritual state. Well, Addie, if you're going to come to church but not make a commitment to Christ, to service, to prayer, Bible study, etc., people are probably going to hound you about it, though in most cases, nicely. Again, get over yourself.

She names "God is in control ... has a plan ... works in mysterious ways" as a phrase that "scares millennials" and I have to agree that, to a degree, she's right. These phrases become platitudes when Christians don't know what to say to one another in times of crisis. When my dad died, five months after I led him to Christ (and he spent those five months telling anyone he could get to stand still about Jesus), I was inconsolable, for several reasons, not the least of which was, what if Dad had come to faith in Christ sooner? The joy we could have had together! Was that my fault? His? God's? Whose? Or, of course, was it just God's plan (which has to be the final conclusion)?

But I didn't want to hear, "He's in a better place," or "God works in yadda yadda yadda ... " I wanted comfort from my brothers and sisters in Christ, and I got some, but mostly I got platitudes. We need to learn comfort-giving. Jesus knew how to do it. If we are to be conformed to His image, we need to learn how to do it also.

Addie is in a place where she is questioning. That's good, to the extent it goes. But if she doesn't follow up on her complaint and learn where she needs to grow, what she needs to do to be discipled, she'll be another statistic, not a productive member of Christ's body. Sadly, in this respect, she's just like all millennials. They want canned answers, black and white 12-second soundbites, quick, move on to the next thing. Sorry Addie. Sorry millennials. God doesn't work that way. Get over yourselves.

#2 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like someone who wants a wishy washy preacher who will not preach the word rebuke, reprove, or exhort. And I seriously doubt he speaks for all millenials. I have some in my church and they would disagree.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't....but he is kinda a wuss

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure it's just millennials that take issue with the cliches from the article. Trying to attach simple "answers" to all the complexities of life, which is what these cliches do, just don't ring either true or at all helpful.

I don't think they are wanting washy-washy preaching or are rejecting accountability, they want authenticity which is often messy, exactly what cliche answers like these ignore.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SHE doesn't.