1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

52 Sundays a year

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Salty, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are 52 Sundays a year (53 every 7th year).

1. What is the minimum number of Sundays a pastor should preach in his church pulpit per year.

Excuse absenses:
    2a. Vaction..............._____ per year
    2b. Sick.................._____ per year
    2c. Special speaker.......______per year
    2d. Specials...........______per year
    (Easter, youth, ect)
    2e. Other.................______per year

3. Are there provisions in your church constitution?
    4. Do you need approval of a board, ect
    5. Other comments

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

1. Our pastor will preach roughly 26 times in our pulpit this year. That is the number of appointments he has at our church...2 each month.

2. If he needs to miss, he has someone fill in for him. There is no set number of times we "allow" him to miss one of his set appointments, although he is almost always there. That is the reason he has 2 Sundays "off", even though he holds an appointment at another church on 1 of those Sundays. When he wants to travel, etc he uses one of those weekends. When he travels on one of our weekends, he comes back for Sunday.

3. No; we set appointments for the year at the first business meeting of the year.

4. No

5. None; which is rare for me. ;)

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I get two weeks R&R per year, but I have yet to take them. I have taken a couple of Wednesdays off, but that was for my secular employment - business trip. It was no vacation!

As to special speakers and special programs, I think they can be very important. When these things come up though, I don't consider myself to be "out of the pulpit" for that week. The service is still my responsibility, and I cannot absolve myself of those duties simply because we have a special or a guest preacher.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't have a requirement. I don't miss many Sunday's however. I can miss up to four Sundays a year, though if I wanted to miss more, it wouldn't be an issue. In six and 1/2 years, I have missed fewer Sundays than you can count on two hands. In fact, I can remember virtually all of them. That hasn't necessarily been good, but I hate to be gone especially on Sunday.

We have special speakers infrequently for several reasons. The major one is I like to preach and when people come, I want them to know what we are actually like. Special speakers don't do that. If we have them, it is typically on Sunday nights.

5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Interesting responses.

Would you mind sharing how large your churches are on Sunday Morning?

6. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

1. What is the minimum number of Sundays a pastor should preach in his church pulpit per year.

Excuse absenses:
    2a. Vaction..............._____ per year
    2b. Sick.................._____ per year
    2c. Special speaker.......______per year
    2d. Specials...........______per year
    (Easter, youth, ect)
    2e. Other.................______per year

3. Are there provisions in your church constitution? No
    4. Do you need approval of a board, ect? No

The philosphy that I have held to is that the ministry is just that a ministry, not a job. My church understands that there are times when I need time off and I take it. I don't abuse this priviledge. I have been here for almost 10 years. A few years, I did not take any vacation. However, the last couple years, I have taken 4 weeks (mostly due to health). The # of times a pastor is away depenedent upon a host of factors, such as size of the church and whether he has someone to preach for him.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Our church runs in the 90's most of the time.

8. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the church I'm a member of,
    the pastor has 4 weeks annual leave (industry standard in Aus) which the diaconate insist he take, he NEEDS the break just like any other worker.
    Sick leave is 'as needed', never had a pastor that's abused it although have had several that have been almost forced to take some sick leave.
    When we have special speakers it is normally as part of the church program and the pastor has a significant part in the service anyway, so not a 'day off'

Regards
    Bob

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

On a regular Sunday, about 30 people. About normal size for a Primitive Baptist Church.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Including sick leave and vacation my wife gets four weeks after one year at her secular job. Should pastors get less?

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Vacations----3/year----although I do not take every one of the Sundays off---I do take three weeks---maybe a Monday-Saturday and back home to preach on Sunday!!

Sick----I have never been sick on Sunday---although-----ummmmmmm-----year before last during week long revival at my church---I came down with a stomach virus ( [​IMG] those things)---and I was not---was not----WAS NOT---able to attend---and I'm the pastor!!!!

Special speaker----2/year

Specials---3/year

Out of 156 occasions(Sun morn--nite--and Wednesday--yes, I do preach on Wednesday nite)---I probably engage 146 of those!!

Give or take a few times