1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

6 Signs Your Church Is Dysfunctional

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, May 13, 2017.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. The church or organizational culture does not value those serving, just those leading and the function of the organization.

2. The leader is the only one who is allowed to think.

3. The organization or church thinks everyone else is wrong and only they are right.

4. People rationalize that the good they are experiencing is worth the abuse they are receiving.

5. People often know of the glaring character problems of the leader, but no one can speak truth to power.

6. Many times, the leader gets a pass for the fruit of his/her leadership because of some overwhelming characteristic: preaching ability, intelligence, ability to woo others or more.

(by Ed Stetzer)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow HAMel, those are interesting. I wonder if even or two of the six sound like your churchif that makes it dysfunctional. I have attended churches that are a perfect fit for these signs.

I wonder if no one has responded to your OP yet has to do with the OJ syndrome, "if the glove fits" and some had their eyes opened when they read this.

BTW - welcome back to the board. It's been some time since I last read something with your name?!

Again, this list is exceptional, and all church members should be cognizant of what a dysfunctional church may look like.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rd2, I was beginning to wonder if anyone would respond.

The last church we belonged to was guilty of Number "7", which isn't included in the list above. I was wanting to "serve" but wasn't permitted to do so. The pastor, while a great speaker and very knowledgeable of the Bible was a one man band. In truth, there were but two individual men who were permitted to be involved in anything and they both have big bank accounts. If you crossed 'em you could stand by the "political payback".

When I left I told the preacher that we would never join another church as politics and money rules all of them. We now just attend various churches in the area on a regular and recurring basis. I even volunteered to change the light bulbs in the men's room and was refused. I couldn't believe it!!!

Eventually the controlling faction turned against my daughter and that was the straw that broke the camels back. She attended (and graduated) from Pensacola College as a school teacher and was quite strong in her leading the Sunday School but apparently she didn't follow the party line so, end of subject.

BTW, the by-line is from Ed Stetzer who is connected with the Billy Graham.

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you go to the church I do? Seems like you must.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That could be, Reynolds. ...what pew have you been assigned?

6. Tennessee Gal

Tennessee Gal Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hamel, these characteristics were very common in the branch of the Independent Baptists I grew up in. Things like you were never allowed to question authority, group think, controlling the parishioners personal lives, and judging those that differ with them on the finer points of doctrine among other things. A good example of the last point would be if your view on the timing of the rapture was anything but pre- trib you might as well have been a heretic.
    Was I surprised when I took a prophecy class in college and my professor shared the different views on the timing of the rapture but emphasized the pre-trib position as that was the official position of the college. There were many godly people through out church history who had different views on the timing issue.
    If one sees these traits in a church I would give a second thought in joining that church.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...as a young convert (1970's) I attended an IBC and have more or less remained the same ever since, with only two exceptions. At the time what I heard coming from the pulpit was that no matter what we're doing for the Lord..., it's not enough! We needed to witness more; do more; tell more; get more to convert; tell the world; get involved here; get involve there; give give give and then give some more and in the process empty our bank accounts. It finally came to me one day that no..., we are to be ready when called. Charging ahead like a bull leads nowhere! In the end I wasted many years chasing a pipe dream. Thinking I was smarter than Lassie I only screwed things up for others and what really upsets me the most is no one had the courage to tell me..., "hey bud, slow down a bit, you're spinning your wheels."

...as a novice you'd be amazed at how many times I made a complete FOOL out of myself. After much time I began to realize what was going on and I began to withdraw. Over the following years I began to ponder the motives of many church leaders and came up wanting. I belonged to one church where the power brokers turned against a dear Christian to the point that several of them started dying. The attacks were relentless on this man and soon, some started to die the result of freak accidents. Six funerals later one of the remaining said, "I wonder if God be trying to tell us somethin'?" At this point the attacks ceased but the damage had already been done.

Most all churches are politically rigged and wired to the point I believe the Lord himself just turns his head and looks the other direction. The last church I belonged to had a retired Military Officer that had married into money within the church and he called the shots. Those of us outside of the family were but PFC's and he was the OIC. A long and involved story regarding the turn of events but we finally threw in the towel. Enough of the nonsense already and the Pastor was of no help which was do to the money factor.

Upon speaking with the Pastor when leaving I assured him that we would NEVER join another church! At 72, I don't have time for the petty squabbling that goes on and it goes on almost everywhere in ALL Church's. The nonsensical childishness; the one man band approach; the founding families that huddle together; where folks are welcome to attend but you have to sit over there. It's is all just so STUPID and so unproductive!

No, I have not turned against my Lord and Savior. We visit churches in our immediate area but to join another one, no way! I do enjoy GNN Radio listening daily and have gleaned much absent any and all political influences.

Am I angry? Yes indeed. What I am angry about are those who attend church for show and the church leaders who entertain. I have often wondered why church leader(s) can be so forceful when you object to the power structure but noodle weak when it comes to resisting said power structure. ...well..., duh..., the structure pays his salary! So in truth, what's the point of preaching to them? They aren't hearing the message to begin with nor getting it together so as to realize their own destructive attitudes. They want a motivational Joel type preacher. Someone who will tickle their ears.

A church is the one place believers should be permitted to congregate and worship the Lord being TOTALLY FREE from the ways of the world. Anything and everything OUTSIDE of this is of the devil and his demons but not many see that and it's such a shame.

...what ever happened to being humble in the Lord's house?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1