1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

60 Minutes a Day

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The average American will gain 1 ½ pounds a year from the age of 25 to 55. That’s 45 lbs, or 45 sticks of butter distributed over one’s body!

New study reveals one way for women to avoid this and maintain their weight, essentially with out having to diet:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/303/12/1173?home

From an article about this study:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-women-weight-gain24-2010mar24,0,4377150.story?track=rss

The study is shown to be effective with the BMI at 25 or below (normal weight):

“Only those women who were normal weight at the start of the study and engaged in moderate-intensity activity an average of 60 minutes per day, seven days a week, maintained a normal body weight, defined as a body mass index of less than 25. That amount of exercise is three times higher than the amount recommended by the federal government -- 150 minutes per week -- to lower the risk of chronic ailments such as heart disease.”

Men have it a bit easier:

“Studies in men have consistently shown they require less exercise to maintain body weight.”

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

EEEEWWWW!!!!

I started gaining weight right AFTER my third kid, with the help of health issues. The trend has continued, and after moving to Oklahoma, where my normal fare isn't available, I gained even more.

I'm figuring out how it works here though, and how to eat like we used to, on top of introducing better eating habits in our newly blended family. That should help with weight.

But I'm still trying to figure out how to exercise with the health issues going on, and look forward to professional help. Being overweight is DEPRESSING! Especially if you think of the weight as nasty butter. eeeeewwwwww:laugh:

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over the past 2 years, I have lost over 60 pounds. I told this to a guy and he reminded me that I had lost 12 bags of suger. That has stuck with me when I look down at the scale and see a littl gain.