1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

7 or 3.5 years of tribulation from Dan 9

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Nov 20, 2007.

?
  1. 7 years of the 490 year timeline of Dan 9 are moved to end of time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes I can show where other numeric timelines are sliced as is Dan 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. By defintion: Given a specific starting point, all numeric timelines show length and endpoint

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. No numeric timeline can have unknown gaps of time and still work (Bible or not)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Though this slicing and dicing does not work in real life timelines - we have to do it in Dan 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I leave the 490 year timeline as contiguous and alone. The 7 years trib comes from Rev 11-13

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I don't know what to do with the 490 years of Dan 9

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We have had a number of threads on the Pre-trib vs Post-Trib rapture idea. And the group seems to be almost evenly divided between the two with slightly more voting for pre-trib.

However it is often the case that both pre-trib and post-trib agree on one thing -- slicing and dicing the quantitative 70 weeks timeline of Dan 9 (70 weeks are 490 prophetic day-for-year days, so 490 real years) - so that the last week (the last 7 years) is chopped out of the 490 year timeline, and a huge 1000's of years gap is inserted so that it can fit late 19th and 20th century notions.

John Gill - the author of the first Baptist Commentary in the 18th century - does not allow for such abuse of the timeline. He insists (as do many others including me) that ALL timelines have to be left "intact" so that given a start point you know the end point (by definition of a timeline)

See the 70 year quantitative timeline in Dan 9:1-4 of Jeremiah. Specific start - hence specific end.

See the 1260 year timeline (day for year in Dan 7 as in Dan 9) of Dan 7. Specific start with specific end (even for those who choose to ignore the day-for-year principle in Daniel).

See the 2300 year timeline of Dan8.

See the 430 year timeline of Genesis where God predicts the years of captivity in Egypt for the Jews when speaking to Abraham.

So in this poll we give readers and posters a chance to show what they have done with scripture on this one.

Did you slice up the 490 years? Did you leave it in tact? If you slived it up -- did you do that with any other quantitative timeline in scripture or did this "just so happen" to be in the only time you needed to do it?

in Christ,

Bob