1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

7 Spirits of God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Hawaiiski, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Hawaiiski

Hawaiiski New Member

What are the 7 Spirits of God in Rev. 4:5; 5:6?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I told my Sunday School class a while back that this could possibly been in reference to Isaiah 11:2. But that's just one possibility.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

I believe they are the 7 dispensations by which we see God (7 eyes) and by which He has authority over us (7 horns). EX: We see God in our family/parents and they are our authority from God --- seen in the 3rd dispensation via Abraham.

Likewise, human gov't of dispensation #2 "sees" us -- we see God -- God wields His authority through our gov't.

skypair

4. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Best I could come up with is "the seven-fold Spirit of God". I was not really satisfied with it, but I was less satisfied with anything else. It is one of those that I will ask Him about one day...

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I would suggest this as a potential explanation of "the 7 Spirits of God" or "the sevenfold Spirit of God", as rendered by the NLT (with the AMP, and MSG, at least at times, using this rendering), being spoken of in Revelation.

Suggestion #1

1. - The Spirit of the LORD
    2. - The Spirit of wisdom
    3. - The Spirit of understanding
    4. - The Spirit of counsel
    5. - The Spirit of might
    6. - The Spirit of knowledge
    7. - The Spirit of the fear of the LORD
    Suggestion #2 (and #3, as well).

I think the rendering "the Seven-fold Spirit of God, is equally valid, as an understanding, here. Since there is but one personality we call the Holy Spirit and the 'third' Person in the Triune Godhead is the one to whom Scripture's authors and the rest of us are referring, I'd say there are two more equally valid way of seeing this, to understand this as either seven ways the Holy Spirit is manifested, or possibly, seven characteristics of the Holy Spirit.

Three possibilities: Take them for what they are worth. How good are my suggestions??
    "Ya' pays yo' money; ya' takes yo' chances!" :tonofbricks: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

6. Hawaiiski

Hawaiiski New Member

I used to believe it was #1 because that was the only thing shown to me, & it was a convenient way to explain it. However, I'm not so sure that the grammatical structure of Isa. 11:2 indicates 7 distinct spirits. I think it is listing attributes of the 1st spirit listed---"the spirit of the LORD." This may also be what's going on in Revelation---7 different attributes of the Holy Spirit, like you said.

7. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

7 is the number of completeness and perfection in the Bible.

The Holy Spirit.....He is complete and perfect.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

At least, this is how I think biblical numerology works. I'll have to agree. :thumbs:

9. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I can't claim it. I once heard a sermon by Dr. Rogers called "Getting the Numbers Right" and it was very insightful.

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

I agree with your observation here. I know it is hard to nail down but I still can't come up with better than I offered. It's interesting that no one sees the 7 dispensation played out in the 7 seals either but I believe that too.

skypair