1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

70 Car Pile up

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Revmitchell, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. billwald

billwald New Member

69 of them were probably driving to fast for conditions and/or following to close.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well there is some truth to that. But there was heavy fog mixed with an extreme amount of smoke from a controlled burn that got away from them. Visibility became nothing real fast which was unexpected.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...or 69 of them were women :D:tonofbricks:

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:eek:

You know what's sad? EVERY time I see someone driving doing something stupid, it's a woman. My dad challenged me to watch for that and he's been right about 95% of the time.

Of course, *I* wouldn't be one of those women. I'm too good a driver.

(now I'm going to be really careful going home because now that I said that, I AM going to get into an accident) LOL

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure that's what the 69 women said, too :laugh:

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah - But I made it home safely AND I'm at about 24 years of driving with not one accident! Oh - and I've never caused one either (of course DH says that women don't get into accidents - they just cause them). LOL! ;)

I saw that accident on the news last night and it was horrible! There were big tractor trailers that were burned to skeletons. I can't imagine being in something like that. I've been in dense fog and you don't even know where the edge of the road is! Even driving at 20 miles an hour, you probably wouldn't have had the time to stop.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of the worst drivers I have seen have the handicap tag hanging from the mirrow ( which in NY is illegal)

9. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

:tonofbricks: :eek: That's you under that ton of bricks, WD! Shame on you for stereotyping women as bad drivers...I have a CDL, and every accident I've ever been in has been the other person's fault! :laugh:

It really is scary for me to see big trucks burned out, though. Always think how easily that could have been me, on so many different occasions; never been in a wreck in a big truck, though!

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

But how many of those collisions* could you have prevented?

Driving instructor Salty

PS you noticed I changed the word "accident" to collision. A collision happens when something hits something else. An accident is an unfortunate event that could not have been prevented.
    90+% of all collisions are preventable either by the guilty or Innocent party

11. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

On the accident in Florida, they had on the radio one or two trucks were the only ones who did not get a ticket.
    As far as as accidents go, I have a little over 4 millions miles with out a chargeable accident, in a tractor trailer. With that said, I have been hit in the trailer a few times(3) in states with split speed limits, cars trying to pass a car in the left lane and ends up hitting me in the right lane while they were trying to cut in head of the car in the left land. And one time while I in the bunk parked sleeping at a rest area. However in the fog and mugfires, none of them used good judgment, if you can't see you should not be driving. Have I done it, yes, bad judgment on my part, if it isn't safe to drive near the speed limit on an open highway it isn't safe to drive.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder if, in this fog accident situation, if the people just couldn't even GET to someplace safe. I've been driving when I drove into sudden fog and it's like someone threw a blanket over me. To drive to the side of the road - hey, I didn't even know where the side of the road was! It's not like that would be much safer since cars will be driving off the road too. So what do you do in that kind of a situation??

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Due to the fires and fog down here it has been reported to keep off the road in that part of the state, until there is good light. But we all have to go or we think so. I don't know if you have ever see the smoke from muck fires or not but it will cut down how far you can see to a few car lengths or less and add the fog, it isn't good. What happens all are moving at 70 MPH or more and then they hit it and slow down are stop and the ones behind you run into the back of you. Like the company I drive for if you have a chargeable accident or a non chargeable accident and you are in bad fog, you lose your job. The company tells us if we can't see we can't drive, so we check and see how the roads are.