1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

7th Day Adventists

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Mitsy, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

OK, any ministers or theologians out there....is this group considered "Christian" or not? Some say it is a cult because they base a lot of their teachings on the writings of Ellen White. Just curious about their beliefs and have been doing some research (don't worry, I won't be joining them). I know a couple people who go to this church but didn't want to ask questions of them that might sound critical. Thanks.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Click here to check out different religions.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Cult would not be a good word because "cult" implies a lot of secrecy and indoctrination akin to brainwashing in addition to a lot of false doctrine. the doctrine of the SDA only resembles Christianity in the use of similar terms which are very much defined differently. Kind of like when the communist used to use "liberty" and "freedom" they meant that when they took over a country they "liberated" it and freedom was when they could do as they (the leaders) wanted.

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that it depends what country they are from. In England they are ecumenically minded, not so in other countries.

They have some levels of basic Christian doctrine the same as the Baptist's, Trinitarian, Believe in the Virgin Birth, Ressurection etc.

This subject gets a number of threads, yet without starting a discussion on it, I am in agreement with them on the Sabbath, they teach that the Catholic church changed the Sabbath to Sunday and the church accepted it.

I liked the idea of Saturday church and through a process joined the Seventh Day Baptist Church a member of the Baptist World Alliance. I considered the SDA, yet there are also some problems there too.

Some Adventists treat the writings of Ellen G White as scripture. They try to teach that Jesus would be a vegetarian. I had one SDA member tell me proudly that they had converted some muslims to Adventistism, they could not accept Jesus Christ as their saviour, yet they had accepted the teachings of Ellen G White and were Adventist muslims. I find this disgusting that even a thing could be considered like this.

I can not reccomend the SDA, yes they have some truth and are full of many good born again christian people. Yet they have a number who believe in the above also.

My advice is to try a Seventh Day Baptist Church or a Messianic Congregation. The various Churches of God movements are not Trinitarian.

5. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

Thanks all for the info. I have also found out that the SDA people believe that a person's "soul" is asleep until Christ returns. I know that that is what the Jehovah's Witnesses also believe. I'm not insulted by that...I guess that's one view, but I will always believe that "only the body dies" and that your soul immediately goes on to heaven or the other side.

I would have interest in attending a 7th Day Baptist Church (if one was within driving distance). Incidentally, all the Church of God churches in my area are trinitarian, but I've found that there are about as many Churches of God (each a different sect from each other) as there are versions of "Baptist".

Although I believe that my core beliefs will never change from a "Baptist" theology, I believe it's very interesting to learn about the various denominations out there and how different each is.

P.S. Thanks Diane for that link to various groups. Am checking it out now.

6. lvwisc

lvwisc New Member

I just posted on another board the very same question. I wanted to know more about them. One evening I ran into two headcovering, dresses only Mennonite women. We got to talking and they invited me to their church. I never went, but out of curiosity wanted to see the church. I found it just this weekend, and it's a SDA church. I was shocked! Do Mennonites attend these churches? Im still trying to figure this one out.
    Thanks Misty for reading my mind and asking this question here [​IMG]
    Kristine

7. lvwisc

lvwisc New Member

Oops! I meant Mitsy! Sorry ;)

8. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

From what I know, Mennonites are totally separate from the SDA group. Maybe there is not a Mennonite church close by would be the only thing that I can think of. The SDA people (at least the ones I know) don't dress any differently than anyone else. I'm sure a few dress more conservatively than others. One woman I know wears slacks and shorts (although not real short). She wears minimal makeup and cuts her hair, so they don't seem real legalistic as far as dress. Maybe it depends on the church.

In my denomination "research", I have found that there is another more "modern" Mennonite Church group. I ignorantly believed that all Mennonites dressed like what are actually called "Old Mennonites" - which look a bit like "Little House on the Prairie" people for lack of a better description. Check out the modern Mennonite web site. I was truly enlightened.

http://www.mennoniteusa.org/

9. Sola-Scriptura

Sola-Scriptura New Member

My mother is an SDA and this is no innocent denomination. Investigative Judgement is a direct attack on the finished work of Christ on the cross. I forget the details, but some time in the 1800's or whenever, they say Jesus began judging believers works to see if they are genuine Christians and then the ones that are worthy will receive full atonement at that time. What heresy!
    The Sabbath is not just a preference for a day of worship. This is a salvation issue with them. It is the great divider of endtime believers to show who the obedient ones are. This is conditional salvation! They hold to radical continuity between the Old and New Covenants which is condemned in scripture. They hold to this in belief, but not in practice. If the Sabbath continued into the New Covenant, there would be no changes to it--Saturday only and death for disobedience, and many restrictions that they themselves do not keep! No SDA obeys the Sabbath laws of the Old Testament. They are completely inconsistent, but many weak believers are mislead by the fear of what appears to be disobedience to God. Don't fall for this stuff! Most of them cleave to the teachings of Ellen White who is proven to have copied much of her work from others while saying "thus saith the Lord". When I confronted my mother on this she said that there were no laws against plaigerism at the time so she did nothing wrong. Over and over this woman had false prophecies. The first one was basically a cover up for failure of the original prophecy by the movements founder that Christ was to come in 1844. They changed that to a spiritual "coming" when nothing transpired in 1844. It goes on and on. There are several good articles at this link. Most directly related are the ones by an ex-SDA written in 1914. D.M. Canright.
    Soli Deo Gloria.www.solochristo.com/nctmain.htm

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I also dislike intensly the SDA doctrine of "Soul Sleep".

One thing that also is of concern is how some SDA people view Michael the Archangel. It is hard to pin them down on this teaching as it is not enshrined in there 28 Doctrines, yet taught all the same. They are teaching that Michael is Jesus.

This seems to me a trinty of four, just like what the Catholics are doing with Mary. If this is for real, that would have to be a Salvation Issue.

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

12. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

Thanks Ben for the info. There isn't one near me. I'm afraid I live in a somewhat "rural" area. :(