1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

8 Drugs Your Doctors Would Not Take

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    8 drugs doctors wouldn't take

Very helpful. I use to take Advair for my asthma but it was doing me no good. The doctor switched me to Symbicort, which has the same warnings as Advair, and I stopped taking it because it did make my symptoms worse. Medication can be very dangerous and many doctors simply don't have time to keep up with the thousands of studies on the many drugs on the market. Therefore it is up to us to do our homework and be on the alert for new or worse symptoms that maybe coming from the medication(s).

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The above is in regards to Advair. What I'd like to find out is just how many people this drug has PREVENTED from dying from asthma attacks. My hubby has severe asthma and is on Singulair and Advair and it's made his asthma a non-issue. This was a man who was in the hospital every few months for severe attacks. He hasn't had an attack in 7 years.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I take Advair twice a day for Chronic Bronchitis and it's been over a year since I've had a really bad attack. I used to have them 2-3 times a year (before Advair).

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I have read/heard literally hundreds of such accounts. In fact when I was first put on Advair my doctor called it the closest thing to "miracle drug" that she had ever seen. It just never worked for me. When I was switched to the Symbicort I started having more trouble so that was stopped. For now, I am back on a low dose of Advair. What you may find interesting is what I learned last night after I posted the OP. According to one Doctor the "trial did not study Advair". The reason for the warning has to do with the fact that Advair, like Symbicort, contains Salmeterol and formoterol. The doctor comments that:

"LABAs are not an adequate controller therapy by themselves for asthma, and can potentially cause life-threatening asthma attacks if used alone. This fact has been known for years, just as it is well-known that overuse of albuterol, or any other rescue medication, can place a person at risk for severe asthma attacks, and even death from asthma."

So it seems, to me, that the trouble is with the abuse of medications such as Advair and not the prescribed use of them. As the good doctor said, medications such as Advair do come with risks. But that is true for all prescription medication. There are people out there who have died after having an allergic reaction to antibiotics. So all prescription medication should be taken as prescribed and if symptoms worsen, or strange symptoms appear, a return visit to the doctor would be wise.

Source for quote

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

All drugs have side effects,not all side effects happen to each person who takes the drug, some people never have a side effect. A person has to look at facts, how often do these occur, are certain side effects rare. How serious is your condition are you willing to take the drug and risk possible side effects. If the condition is serious and the person needs the drug, usually the 'possible' side effects are outweighed by the seriousness of the condition.
    Not just prescription drugs that have side effects.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

One of the drugs is Prilosec, but I had a doctor recommend it to me.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It says on the Advair information that it is NOT to take the place of an inhalor in an emergency. Advair is a medication that must be taken on a regular basis.

Albuterol no longer has 'CFC' (chemical compounds) in it and they have changed the inhalor to one that dispenses the medication differently (not as dangerous). It is now called "ProAir".

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

I took prilosec for years and had no side effects. What I did have was no pain, and no acid burning in my stomach.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==One of my father's golfing buddies was on prilosec before he died. They suspected that the medication may have played a role in his death but there was no way to prove it. He did have other health factors that probably played a significant role.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Right and it should not be taken apart from other asthma medications such as Singulair. I know of doctors who proscribe Advair to people with congestion. I wonder how safe that is?

==My new albuterol pump is a Ventolin which has the new casing and everything. I actually like it, it tells me how many more puffs I have.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Oh yeah sounds like the prilosec killed him alright.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yea, I suspect it may have had more to do with being 50+, being overweight, having a bad diet, and having a red face. However it is much easier for the family to think the medication did him in than to think that he did himself in.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

Makes sense.

14. TomMann

TomMann New Member

I am currently taking celebrex, 200mg daily..... but not for the usual reason. Celebrex in low doses blocks formation of polyp formation in the colon. At 59 years of age I think I get a little help with the joints too. All that said, with active lung cancer and all the stuff they give me for chemo.... what a slight increase in heart attack risk....