1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 90 Minutes in Heaven

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 20, 2015.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The movie was good and unlike "Heaven is for Real" the account came from a full grown man (not a Charismatic child) and from what I gathered from the film I saw nothing unbiblical. However I never read the book so I cant fully comment. Do I believe this man went to heaven for 90 minutes? No he went to the resting area where all souls that die today go that are believers in Christ. But if more of his theology (which is Union Baptist) shows up in the book is unbiblical then he simply had a vision. So what do you say?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's biblical to "die", go to heaven, then come back and miss out on the judgment? I thought Scripture says that it is appointed for man once to die and then the judgment?

I have greater issues with the fact that ALL of these experiences people have end up man centered and not one of them is God centered. I don't think heaven is about us and so when people "come back" describing all of the great things for them (angels singing to them, Jesus pulling up a chair to sit down, friend and family walking around greeting us), it gives me pause.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

The entire premise is unbiblical. And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, Hebrews 9:27.

What is this 'resting area' that you know full well this man had gone to?

It doesn't matter what I say. Scripture shows he's already unbiblical. But these stories (myths and fables 2 Timothy 4:3ff) certainly bring in the crowds (accumulation of teachers to tell them myths and fables) and the monies.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Internet Theologian

It's grave error and is like the book The Five People You Meet in Heaven. People like this talk, love to talk of heaven as some place where we will meet every single person who has died in their families. They all die and then it is said 'They're better off now'. People don't know this, and rarely if ever do they speak of seeing the Christ of God and that this is their desire. They probably don't even want Him to be there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then where was he for 90 minutes? He had a vision?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    His experience is pretty much common to all religions. I guess you have two things to consider. First, how much stock should you put in the objective cognitive assessment of a patient with such extensive injuries in a critical care unit? That reminds me, one time I had surgery and vividly remember ridding through the skies on a green and yellow turtle (no, not LSD…I was a child and my sister had a big green and yellow turtle). Anyway, I do not understand why so many take as true the accounts of people in such conditions. It is not logical. But second, it is unbiblical. It is based on a contemporarily pagan idea of heaven, ghosts, etc. Not Scripture.

I will add this, however. We cannot question that the man experienced something that he attributed to 90 minutes in heaven (or going to heaven). And this experience may have genuinely changed his life. It is just not what he thought it was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably in a hospital.

• Like Like x 2
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he was not. He was pronounced dead on the street.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did he experience is the question?

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something not-Heaven.

Lack of oxygen, his own thoughts, a vision even, but not something that denies Gods own revelation. This kind of thing will remain popular, Evan, I believe because our culture wants something more. They want God, but only on their terms. They want Jesus as an addition and not as their "All and all.".

Put it this way. If you and I die at the same time and run into each other on the way to heaven , don't slow me down with conversation because an extra minute in the journey is one less with Jesus. I say this lightly to illustrate, but when I die I am with the Lord. I am not coming back to tell the story. It's already told.

#10 JonC, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then on the street.

Look at it this way. Piper tells us he looked and saw the gates to heaven. What he described is in the Bible. But when is it in the Bible? Piper presents Heaven as our final place with God, but not here. The Bible speaks of this Heaven as God's future Kingdom here....physical with resurrected people. Either Scripture is correct or Don Piper's assessment is correct. But not both. I guess it's just a matter of who to believe.

#11 JonC, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  12. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heaven tourism, a great way to sell a lot of books and make a lot of money. What I find instresting is these books don't agree with each other nor do they match the Bible about what heaven is like. The few glimpses we get of heaven all are extremely God focused. Not to mention why would all these people be allowed to talk about what they saw when the apostle Paul was forbidden to talk about what he saw in heaven.

Then there is the Sola Scriptura aspect. Why as a Chriatian should I look beyond the Bible for information about heaven. God has told us everything we need to know in the Bible so I don't need some other guys ideas of heaven that are man centered.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So where do people go when they die at this time? They go to a temporary resting place. Look I never read the book all I can comment is what I saw in the film. Heb 9:27 says that man will be judged when he dies, but we do not know when this will happen.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If what he says contradicts scripture then he is wrong. I saw a bit of this in the film "Heaven is for real" but not so much in the film "90 Minutes in Heaven." I have not read the book however, have you? Unless you have read the book you cant really comment.

15. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm still curious to this "resting place?"

2 Corinthians 5:6-8 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
    (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
    We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are scriptures but I need to dig them up. The book "Whatever happened to Hell" will have some so I need to dig.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “It says that ‘It is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgement’ (Hebrews 9:27). But taken in isolation that statement hides a great deal, because elsewhere the New Testament teaches that while the final judgement occurs eventually it does not take place immediately. Instead, there is what has become known theologically as ‘the intermediate state’, to which we made a brief reference in chapter 3.”

Excerpt From: John Blanchard. “Whatever Happened to Hell?.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/Sw_L1.l

“The next point to be made is that Paradise and Hades are the only intermediate states mentioned in the Bible. There are no other places or conditions to which human souls go at death. This is vitally important to grasp, especially as it rules out two theories that have been taught by many and believed by millions.”

Excerpt From: John Blanchard. “Whatever Happened to Hell?.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/Sw_L1.l

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I can comment - look around you, brother. People comment in ignorance daily. O O

Seriously, Evan, I did not read the book but I have read enough of the book and enough from the book to know that the man offers an unbiblical view of Heaven. His comments about the gates of Heaven alone is enough to realize his account does not square with the Bible. So here you must choose who to believe. Now, maybe you could argue that this was not real, but instead was some sort of a vision, or a prophesy of God's future Kingdom. I, personally, do not believe this type of special revelation occurs today as it would be addition to what has already been given fully (I am not charismatic, no offense if you are).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Internet Theologian

Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 2 Cor. 5:8

I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. Php.1:23

• Like Like x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm confused on your intent here, John. Are you offering Blanchard as evidence that Piper may be legitimately accounting for his experience (as this actually denounces his claim....what he described was the Kingdom to come, not "there" but "here")? Also, it ignores Paul's statement that simply has us in the presence of Jesus when we die.