1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A “right” verses a “privilege”—what is the difference?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gabriel Elijah, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey guys---haven’t been on the BB in a while—but I’m working on a lesson for tomorrow night & I’d like to see what other believing Baptist think about a certain question, & that question is: “What is the difference between a right and a privilege?” I’m not just asking about terminology definitions, but what do you think humans in general have a natural claim to verses the alternative.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

A right is something no one can take away with out just cause . At the present time I have the "right" to own a gun. (or more than one as the case may be. :D ) No one can take my guns away unless I get convicted of a felony.

A privilege can be earned, but can also be taken away with or without just cause. It is a privilege to work a job in this country, but if the boss walks in and says "you're fired" you lose that privilege until you find another job.

At my house it is a privilege for my children to drive a car. But if I get a wild hair, I can take the car keys and there is nothing they can do until I decide to give them that privilege again. I may have a requirement even in order to earn that privilege.

Salvation is a privilege that God gives to those who believe. Thankfully, He doesn't get wild hairs. :)

3. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly agree with your answer---but are there truly any natural rights that all men are born with—despite which country they live in? (even if the answer is just a personal opinion---I’m curious to see how other Christians evaluate this topic)

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Only the ones we fight for.

Though breathing is still free as long as you don't want tobacco flavored air.