1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

a 100-0 win...what would YOU do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rbell, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Karen

Karen Active Member

Difficult trying to respond to a number of people who are not all quite saying the same thing.

But yes, I do think several in the heat of conversation said quite specifically, not insinuated, that thinking the Texas game was not all that problematical was indicative of a character flaw. That it was one more piece of evidence that BB has people who just don't get it.
    I realize no one would have said I was a bad parent for my son playing on such a team. But an opinion on this issue is overly being presented as a test of character. That is all I am trying to say. Probably still not clear.

Thank you, rb, NC Tentmaker, and Roger for your gracious responses.

#61 Karen, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Agreed, God doesn't care who wins. And I don't recall anyone claiming He does. God does care about our attitudes and actions in the process. So then, employing your position...it's OK to absolutely humiliate a team you're playing, because "God doesn't care."

The way I looked at it...when I was a basketball coach, I was on the mission field. And people watched how I handled things. So...no, the wins and losses were not important. But how I conducted myself (and how I led the team to conduct themselves) was of paramount importance.

Huh??

So...since God doesn't care about a basketball game's outcome (on this we agree), we don't have to worry about sportsmanship? (on this, we don't, at all)

I think you're just being contrarian. You took up this argument because you saw others, with whom you normally disagree, make statements.

It is OK to agree once in a while...

#62 rbell, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Thanks for your responses, Karen.

And let me say...that as a coach, I always appreciated folks like you, who had a balanced point of view. Even if we disagree on some of the particulars...yours is thought out, and it's obvious that your interests regarding the team goes beyond the game's score.

4. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

It's just a game? Completely wrong! It's a chance to build and display character. Everything you do should be done unto the Lord. When we do something we should do it to our best. And that does not mean running up a score. It means that we should look for the best outcome. Teach our players to compete and do their best as well as being gracious and kind to the oppenents, officials, and fans. It's not easy to do and all of us make mistakes in the heat of competition but a game like this has no heat of competition. A man once told me that the only thing you can spill out of a pail of milk was milk. That's because milk is what's on the inside. This coach has revealed what is on the inside of his character. He had a great opportunity to teach his kids a lesson they could carry for a lifetime and blew it. I hope and pray he does better with his next opportunity.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

People get too caught up in competition and the end result is those who got too caught up express their emotions beyond reason.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll not take your advice as God's spokesperson. The more I read what you post, the more I just sit here shaking my head. Truly a bitter human being...

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dang! You cracked the code! Now I have to shoot you. :laugh:

Although I think the Covenant coach could have exercised some control, I don't have any sympathy for the Dallas folks. It's like I told my kids when they were smaller and were playing with older kids "When you play with the big kids, you're going to get hurt every now and then. You just gotta take your lumps and not expect them to change the way they play."

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I thought I posted on this but I must not have submitted.

I am not overly opposed to "running up the score" in general.

Especially in higher levels.

I think it is odd that there is a controversy because a coach did his job TOO WELL.

But then there is more to a game than simply winning and I think this guy made some mistakes.

If it had been me as coach, I would have certainly played the subs as much as possible.
    No full court press for sure and if it was still a blowout, well, too bad.

You can't expect players not to play to the best of their ability but the starters should probably have been gone after the 1st quarter.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Now...from the losing coach perspective (regarding what I'd say to the kids), I agree completely. We don't want to teach them to be whiners.

After giving them that speech, though, I would privately approach the other coach and discuss how we could handle it differently, should it come up again (making sure I was cool before doing it). If he reacted poorly or defensively, I'd walk away, knowing that though I lost the game, I was the better person.

And yes...I had experience in this very issue. One night we were beaten by 40...and in the last two minutes, the other team was pressing, with their starters.

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that's a bunch of baloney. Christian morality says nothing at all about becoming losers so others can be winners. No one is objecting to the victory of the winning team, we are objecting to the coach not teaching sportsmanship--which is based on the "golden rule" of Jesus Christ.

And yes we should "project Christian morality" into absolutely every thing we do. I think 1 Cor. 10:31 includes sports: "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). God cares about absolutely everything we do, including sports. Even Paul talked about sports and used them as an example for Christian striving (1 Cor. 9).

For crying out loud, folks, even a heathen Japanese basketball coach would know better than to run up the score 100-0, based on his Confucian ethics. He would know what a huge "loss of face" it would be for the losing coach and players, and would ease up.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder how running up a score of 100-0 is treating others as more important than yourself? I find that impossible to see how treating an opposing team like that would honor God.

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Umm, this was a basketball game.
    THe point is to win.

If you are interested in competition, you want both sides to play as hard as they can.

I personally can't stand to play someone in a game where they are "taking it easy" on me.

If I played ping pong with someone, I would rather lose 11-0 because we both played our best than to lose 23-21 because the other guy was just messing around.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is winning the right way, and winning the wrong way. This team won the wrong way, and while they didn't have to "take it easy", they also didn't have to continue the press with their starters in either. Total lack of class.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

This would have been a good approach.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just because someone can win and easily humiliate the other person or team does not mean he should.

16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I don't get it. How is ping pong like basketball? (Well, okay, they both use balls....:smilewinkgrin:) And how is 11-0 (very common even with the pros, seen on TV all the time in Japan) in an individual sport like ping pong like 100-0 (very rare, pro or am) in a team sport with subs that can be put in? :confused: