1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A ? 4 Calvinists (II)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aaron, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

What! Didn't you know that we can twist God's arm into doing what we want Him to do? Isn't that what prayer is?:laugh: :laugh:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave I know your a teacher, but I didnt know your were into martial arts...LMBO! :thumbs::laugh:

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you all know that God just laughs at you dont you! Bunch of knuckleheads.:smilewinkgrin:

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now to be fair, the Lord has to appreciate Arminians, as He must get tired of having to regenerate people all day long.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

As you know, we who believe in God's sovereignty always take verses out of context. For example, when the Lord said, "I chose you, you did not choose Me," He was not talking about a call to salvation or regeneration, if you study the Greek and Hebrew carefully, they were picking teams to see who could catch the most fish.

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Again we see the Calvinist claim that the non-cal, like Skandelon is believing another Gospel, which is no Gospel at all, thereby calling into question another brother's salvation.

Now, If I posted that Calvinism is a false Gospel, I would be edited and probably banned.

Don't tell me that this board doesn't have one set of rules for the Calvinists and another for the non-cal!

Well, it's time to get ready for church. I don't know why I bother to go. After all, according to Aaron, I am hearing another Gospel and since my church doesn't preach Calvinism (thank God) I will be wasting my time! :laugh:

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I really know Saturn is what I've experienced first hand. I would never have chosen the Lord....absolutely never. Did I go to church, ah yes....mostly cause I was raising a family & I thought it the right thing to do. Did I like it or want it....ah heck NO! I sinned & enjoyed it & could not understand why nutty people couldn't understand sin. To me, sin was just reality. I had to be brought kicking & screaming to the Lord. Even then I kept swinging & kicking at it. LOL. So dont tell me that Im going to do some act of contrition, walk down any isle & give myself to any religious authority. I am not selling myself away from sin cause I loved it. I still smile at it in thinking about it. What a wonderful Sin Career I had & I enjoyed every blasted minute of it.

Now I cant do the things I did in my past....I try & I cant. It's killing my career & making me poor because I cant accumulate ill gotten gains the way I used to. Makes me want to yell at the top of my lungs....what have you done to me. Seriously dude....what the H! :laugh:

Only thing I can figure out is that for some reason He wants me.....for what I have no idea. So for me DoG makes perfect sense. Even that is crazy.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And DoG & Election is exactly how my church operates (Thank God).

Ive told you this a long time ago.....Doctrine Divides. Good & I'm really all for it as is Aaron & I guess you as well! Also you go to your church & I will go to mine... My Uncle & his family will go to his Catholic Church & the next door neighbor will go to his United Methodist Church & folks will be going to the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church down the block... I'm not standing in their way or criticizing them. Thank God this country stands for Freedom of Religion.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Of course my quote was sarcasim. Without a doubt, I can relate to your experience. As a Presbyterian (which is ironic, because there almost all believe in some form of Calvinism), my salvation experience was going to something called communicant's class and then, at the time the elders decided (another argument for congregational rule), we went up before the church, answered some questions, and then were declared members of the church. That was probably about 1964. Fast forward to November 1994. I was married (still am), with two kids, a career, and active in this Baptist church. We were at a revival at our church, and this evangelist kept talking about faith in Christ, grace, confession and repentance. I knew instantly something was wrong, in fact, it made me quite angry at the speaker. I remember he played "Amazing Grace" on a saw, and all I could think was how ridiculous is that. The anger built in me, and all night I tossed and turned. The next night I finally admitted to myself what was wrong, that I was lost, and only the grace of God could save me. At the time, I did not realize what a gift it was from God that He even allowed me to be angry at the speaker. The Lord came to me, I did not come to Him. Yes, the old nature is still there, but there is a new nature called the Holy Spirit, and He has taken me from spiritual death to life.

I suppose sometime after that, we have a deacon in our church named Tom Butler (he is on this board), started talking to me about God's sovereignty. I read several books on the matter, and am convinced that God does the saving, the choosing, giving the ability to have faith, all in the accomplishment of His purposes. Without Him, I would be nothing. I do not agree with those who do not believe in missions or evangelism, as faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Anyway, that is basically what happened to me.

As I have said before, I wish we could come up with a different name than Calvinism. Maybe the Doctrine of God's Sovereignty or something like that. If we are going to choose a dead theologean to name a doctrine after, no doubt we could find one that had beliefs about baptism like ours and did not have people executed for disagreeing with them about Scripture.

#29 saturneptune, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011
  10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No kidding. I got "ripped" apart by Rippon for a comment I made about 2 gospels. He seems to be silent when it's the Calvinist making the comment. :rolleyes:

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Yes, doctrine divides. It often divides the real from the false.

BTW, as far as choosing God is concerned, if a person doesn't chose to accept the salvation found in Christ, they are not part of God's family. They are deceived and headed for judgment.

Acts 2:37-41 (NKJV)
    Note, those who GLADLY received his word were the one's God called. God calls all who will receive the Gospel. The promise is to "ALL" who are afar off.

12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

That is an inaccurate depiction of what we believe. We could argue that you don't need to pray because it's not going to change anything any way because God has already determined everything, but you all obviously reject that conclusion. Likewise, we reject this one. God clearly uses means to help provoke man's will to change (signs and wonders, envy, circumstances etc). There is no reason we wouldn't want to pray for God to help provoke man's will so that they might be saved. (Rom 11:14)

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree totally.:thumbs: Thank God for He changed my heart! Note, God called & I GLADLY received. I was even dunked! Imagine that & me being a Presbyterian at the time.

#33 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 27, 2011
  14. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Here are some clear revelations given to us in scripture about prayer:

Persistence (what you might call "arm twisting) apparently pays off.

There is a power, or result, that comes through prayer. Here is an example of the prayer of a righteous man being used to impact others:

Now, you can qualify these verses however you want, but the scripture itself doesn't provide such qualifications within the context, so I see no harm in taking them at their face value. Clearly the authors of these texts didn't have a problem with people walking away understanding that prayer is powerful and can be used to remove the judgement of God.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats a good testimony.... Here is my answer to your question of calvinism.

Taken from Martyn Lloyd-Jones

My argument is, that cold, sad, mournful, depressing Calvinism is not Calvinism at all. It is a caricature; something has gone wrong somewhere. It is mere intellectualism and philosophy. Calvinism leads to feeling, to passion, to warmth, to praise, to thanksgiving. Look at Paul, the greatest of them all. We should not talk about 'Calvinism'; it is Paul's teaching. He tells us that he wept. He preached with tears. Do you? When did we last weep over these matters? When did we last shed tears? When have we shown the feeling and the passion that he shows? Paul could not control himself, he got carried away. Look at his mighty climaxes; look at the way in which he rises to the heavens and is 'lost in wonder, tore, and praise'. Of course, the pedantic scholars criticize him for his anacolutha. He starts a sentence and never finishes it. He starts saving a thing and then gets carried off, and forgets to come back to it. Thank God! It is the truth which he saw that led to these grand climaxes of his; and it is bound to do so. If we understand the things we claim to believe we are bound to end in the same way. 'Who shall separate us from the love of God?' And the answer is, 'I am persuaded'- and in the language of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists it is much better and stronger- 'I am certain'. It is sure, it is certain, 'that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord'. Or listen to him again at the end of Romans 11, 'O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God.' How often have you had that 'O' in your preaching - you Calvinists ? Calvinism leads to this 'O'! - this feeling, this passion. You are moved to the depths of your being, and you are filled with joy, and wonder, and amazement. 'O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and of the knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!' -and so on. Or take the same thing at the end of Ephesians 3. These are men dominated by a sense of the glory of God, and who are concerned about His praise.

Thus I consider us Christians who are students of Paul. We are Pauline in Theology. Im also Welsh. LOL

PS: Tom's a good (Christian) Man. I like the guy.

#35 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 27, 2011
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a short memory you have. On 2/04/11 after Aaron had said some things that were out of place I said on the thread:I have a sincere question about Calvinism :

Cut that out Aaron. It's as wrong for you to to say from your side as it is wrong for Amy to say it on her side." (post #83)

You even replied to that in the very next post. So it's puzzling why you would say that I remain silent when a Calvinist makes another Gospel-type statement. Be honest.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surprised that you would stoop to this.

But, understanding the times and the true character of Servetus and the implications of his actions, and having studied what really happened, I stand with Calvin.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You had said:

"The gospel says that Christ died for all men.
    Calvinism says that Christ died for some men.
    Two different gospels."

Either you still maintain that Calvinists hold to a different -- i.e. another gospel --and hence under the curse of Galatians 1:8,9 -- or you have changed your mind. Which is it?

19. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You stand with a man who condoned the death of another person because he didn't believe like others thought he should? You stand with a murderer?

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism is a large tent. Baptists of a Calvinistic mindset constitute a minority among Calvinists internationally. I am closer in most of my beliefs to conservative Presbyterians than that of many Baptists. I still hold to traditional Baptist distinctives --but that's not the big picture.

To call what I believe Calvinism, will do just fine as it has been the title used for several centuries now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.