1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A 5 year old asked the pope.

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Salty, May 8, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a meme going around Facebook where a very young boy told the Pope that he was afraid
    that his recently deceased atheist dad was not in heaven.
    The pope said the father was in heaven.

I am not concerned about what the pope said - because most if not all of us agree that his atheist dad is in hell.

The question I have for you all: What would you have told this 5 (or so) young boy if he asked you the same question. (let's assume he has virtually no spiritual training.)

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say--If before he died he trusted in Christ alone for forgiveness of sins and eternal life then God is just and will forgive him. If he did not trust in Jesus Christ then your dad chose to stay separated from God for all eternity. Child, your dad is gone and God is the ultimate Judge--I do not know what your dad did with Jesus Christ, But YOU can know for certain that eternal life is yours if you would surrender your life to Christ and Trust and Treasure Him for the forgiveness of your sins. Go, and tell everyone that you know that heaven can only be gained through the blood stained cross of Jesus Christ!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have answered this question a number of times in several different situations. There are two slightly different answers to the question that are both correct, but must be used at the appropriate context:

(1) As a theologian, we would want to say clearly that God has clearly laid out how we enter the Kingdom of God and has given no alternative plan. Those who do not willingly enter into the Kingdom of God will face personal destruction at the end of the age when all rival kingdoms will end.

(2) As a pastor, we want to be sensitive to the person asking the question and be quite aware of the need of the one before us. Our answer will not affect the fate of the one who has died, but it might affect the fate of the one asking the question. In my experience with atheists (including atheists in the family and close friends), they are all haunted by the knowledge of God. They work hard to shield their minds from it, but it is always there. Because they actually have that knowledge, they are not truly atheists. In fact, I have a hard time believing in true atheists, for I have never met one.

Since atheists believe in God, there may be an opportunity for them to come to faith in the moments shortly before death. We don't know that for sure, so I think the wrong answer to someone asking the question is not to assure the questioner that their loved one is CERTAINLY facing the flames of destruction. Instead, explain the mysteries of the human heart and the mercy of God for those who are WILLING to be saved, and turn the question back to the questioner. Say something like, "We cannot know for sure what may have transpired between your loved one and the Lord in those last moments, but the only way to enter into eternal life in the Kingdom of God is to accept the gracious offer of Jesus to enter into His life. I am certain that the door is open for you to enter into the eternal Kingdom of God and experience of life of joy where were will eventually be reunited with those who have entered the Kingdom before us.

(3) I have seen the results when people who were pastors have only answered theologically without regard for the questioner, especially when the questioner has no theological background. The result is often the rejection of God by yet another person/generation. Instead of making a way for someone to think deeply about eternal questions, the pastor wounded their souls at a vulnerable time when they needed to hear about the grace of God. Before someone makes the accusation, this is NOT preaching a person into heaven or pretending that the deceased was something other than what they were. This is about healing grief and pointing people to the hope that is in Christ. No doubt some people will want to twist my words, but that's where I stand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m surprised that there have been only a couple of responses. This sort of question is common when one makes a habit of sharing the gospel. I’d love to get more perspectives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right...but there in lies the problem...not many people make a habit of sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

6. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would share the Gospel w the little boy

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say I don't know. It's above my pay-grade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing I would want to say is, where ever his father is, he would want him (his son) to be in Heaven. (Ref. Luke 16:27-28 in mind.)

• Winner Winner x 1