1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Balanced Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yep. This is exactly why he needs to get some training. It will (hopefully) take him from eisegetical, to exegetical analysis. As far as his belief "god" reacts to things because he doesn't know anything until it happens, well, that's another story.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I agree. I might add that the sinner who feels convicted (not knowing if he or she is of the elect -- how can we know that until we are adopted by God? -- comes because God has made that possible, both in Calvinism and Arminianism. Both have God's actions at the forefront of anyone who comes!

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

What if the man with the gun makes it a very desirable action? As in, you have a choice, you can give me your wallet and we'll both smile and walk away, or you can not give me your wallet and I will shoot you on the spot. Would it not be very desirable to give the wallet? Was not the life spared worth more than the discomfort of the moment?

4. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I would agree.

The Archangel

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You do realize that there are many well educated pastors and teachers that disagree with Calvinism right?

Don't give me the you're too uneducated to understand scripture line.

6. preacher4truth

I never gave that to you, that was for winman. And I never said uneducated, by the way, so get off your high horse. winman is the one who said he hasn't had training, thus I suggest school for him.

You do realize that many well educated pastors and teachers and laymen disagree with your arminianism right?

My only argument to you was your apples/oranges error. :thumbsup:

I won't limit God like the arminians do. :)

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You quoted me in your post, so I assumed it was directed to me to get some schooling. (check post #15)

And I am not an Arminian. I do not believe you can lose your salvation.

Don't tell me to get off my high horse! You know I ain't afraid to fight ya!

[​IMG]

8. preacher4truth

That's the only point you reject. Arminianism limits God.

You don't have to be skeerd to git whooped. :laugh:

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't really know if it's the only point I reject. I haven't studied it, but I do know that Arminians believe in loss of salvation. Arminians may limit God, but I don't. I believe God can create any kind of creature He wants. Even one with a free will.

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

pft,

That is simply your "opinion" that arminianism limits God, in fact, arminianism simply sees God's expression of His Sovereignty differently than do you. So I would ask that you not be condescending in that respect. Disagree yes, state your position yes. But please dont be condescending and pejorative to other believers that feel differently than you and who have been a member of the family of believers as long as you. Respect, disagree, but respect your brothers and sisters in Christ.

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

You have thrown away common sense.

Put it to the test, go rob someone with a gun and then tell the judge you simply enabled the victim to make a choice to give you his wallet.

I'd love to see how this argument would work for you in court.

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

It does not surprise me that what I said makes no sense to you.

The argument would work very well in court, and we'd see yet another "choice" made. The Judge, operating under a view of the law (instead of personal choices) would "chose" to sentence the gunman to whatever the law dictates for his crime. It is within the realm of possibility that the judge could show mercy and simply let the robber off the hook, or even that the judge could show grace and reward the robber for his actions, but the most likely "choice" of the judge would be to fulfill the law and sentence the criminal.

Now, let's take a look at this allegorical picture in light of Scripture. God, supreme law giver and just judge, has a law that states most emphatically, "he who sins, dies." God cannot just "set aside" that law, for to do so makes God a liar, so indeed, the man (person) who sins, dies. In this, all humanity is without hope, for "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..." and "the man who says he has no sin is a liar..." We have sinned, and the penalty for our sin is death.

Where in this scenario comes a man, who simply petitions the just judge and receives not just mercy (his life) but also grace (a reward for actions that are un-deserving)? The sinner can petition God all he or she wishes, but they remain sinners, and the penalty remains death.

BUT... The Judge IS a just judge, who both loves and has mercy, and more so, grace. In order to not become a liar and violate the tenets of supreme law -- literally the fabric of the entire universe, sustained by the Word of this Just Judge -- the Judge Himself seeks to make a way to pay the penalty for those who have sinned -- their ONLY hope! And, so the Judge sends His only begotten Son, "who when the time was right was born of a woman, under the law..." to come to "set the captives free..." and "He who did not sin, became sin..." on behalf of all those who the JUDGE had previously written into His book of Life before the beginning of time.

When coming forward for sentencing, the Just Judge applies the substitutionary sacrifice of the Son in place of the condemned man and the condemned man is not only granted mercy -- left to live -- but also finds the full grace of the Just Judge and is "adopted" into the family of the Judge and give full rights as a son of the Judge, including an abundant life in the here and now and a new, glorified, eternal life in the true life to come.

Without the defeat of death, without the Just Judge finding a way to pay the death penalty for all those listed in the Book of Life, there is no hope, for the sinner cannot simply petition the judge and walk off free and blessed. It is the SOLE decision of the Judge as to whether to enact His mercy and grace -- not of the sinner.

14. preacher4truth

Aw shucks I got a pft from qaf. This has been your condescending attitude toward me since the time I suggested you may want to actually open your bible and get the answers versus when you didn't and misquoted it and embarrassed yourself. This is you proving exactly as to why Paul warned Timothy to not be ashamed and to rightly divide the scriptures. This earned me a how dare I tell you to open your bible and expose your mistruth pm. :laugh: :thumbsup:

What do the proverbs say about those as you who can't receive a rebuke? :) (you'll have to actually open to it and see.) You should seriously check that out and answer it. I see it would greatly help you turn around or simply leave you where it says you are. :wavey:

Now concerning your error that arminianism doesn't limit God you'll need to actually open your eyes and see that in fact they do and have done so on here. Get back to me when you're mature and humble enough to accept rebuke and instruction.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Excellent. This would also parallel the story of the "prodigal son" also. Just finished reading MacArthur's 'A Tale of Two Sons' and the illustration of the Father's forgiveness to (and magnanimous reception of) his undeserving- and unsuspecting- son is awe-inspiring. It is the Father's choice to show grace, not the son's choice to receive it.

16. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. There have some things been said on the post that I don't agree with.

For one choose to save some and not other. I don't believe he does that. (Reason) God is no respecter of persons! To be clear in 2pe 3:9 its not his will that any of us perish! Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

The saved are the elect so in this verse it is talking about anyone who calls on his name. 1Ti 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
    1Ti 2:2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
    1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
    1Ti 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Why then are some not saved? Because unbelief! Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? What report did they not believe? Jesus Christ : Joh 12:37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:
    Joh 12:38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? They have no excuse!

Joh 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. Who has heard of the father?

Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
    Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. All have heard of the father but not all have obeyed the the truth! Gods not going to choose some to go to heaven then the rest would have a excuse to say to him well you did not choose me?
    Joh 12:44 Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
    Joh 12:45 And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
    Joh 12:46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
    Joh 12:47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
    Joh 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. God bless.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

None of these verses refute the doctrines of grace- God bless.

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Martin,
    In reference to jn 6:37-44 you said this;
    No,,,, not at all. In this section the teaching of grace demonstrates how God works to will and to do of His good pleasure.The "two sides" or two positions are not blended as they are mutually exclusive.
    Those given by the Father do come.They come because God has made them willing,otherwise they would never come,
    When we rejoice that they savingly come we understand that it is only the work of God that accomplishes this great salvation.
    We do not have to somehow squeeze in man,and his supposed contribution,or anything he does, as if this is the key to salvation or we who believed are somehow able to figure out what others who perish could not.

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I will refuse in the future to interact with you, unless or until you can grow up a little bit. You are only exhibiting your lack of maturity and wisdom. Maybe you too one day will learn to be a bit more humble, something of which you accuse me.

I open my eyes, everyday. There are many things I have erred about in life, and many more to come. But this one thing, I do in fact refuse any chastisement from you in such childish, immature and prideful manners.

One day, we will both, KNOW the truth. On that day, I will, if wrong, consent, but never to the arrogance of which you throw personal assaults.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and calvinism telling God how He must be sovereign, and the needed steps to be such doesn't? Clearly the "limiting God" is in the eye of the beholder.

Another point I (and I believe Amy) rejects is the view God looks down through the corridors of time to see results (foreknowledge as defined by arminianism).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.