1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Baptist Church on every corner -you weren't kidding!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by annsni, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann, there could be nine!!! :1_grouphug: Think BCNY

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL -You never know! :)

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Just wanted to see if this shows up on Funny Thread Titles :tongue3:

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The church I serve is within three miles of four other Baptist churches. Three are SBC, two are Independent Baptist.

Reminds me of a story about this traveler who stopped in a town to get a bite to eat. He noticed two identical Baptist churches across the street from each other. At the cafe, he asked the fellow at the cash register about it.

"Well, it's like this," said the manager. The church on the left side of the street believes Pharoah's daughter found Moses in a basket in the bulrushes."

"The church on the right side of the street believes that's what she SAYS."

Then there was the Primitive Baptist church which split over footwashing.

Half the folks wanted the same person to both wash and dry.
    The other half wanted a different person to dry.

Then there's the story of a castaway who was found on a deserted island. The rescuers noted three shacks, and asked about them.

"The first shack is where I live. The second shack is where I go to church. The third shack is where I used to go to church."

5. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I attended small independent baptist churches with under 100 members each until about 6yrs ago, and now attend a sbc of over 2,000 members. My current church has greater outreaches & impact on the community than all of my previous churches combined. Most of a small church's resources are spent on the building & staff; not on the work of ministry.

Smaller churches are easier to control than large ones. Besides, what would all of those autocratic men do who claim to be called to hold authority over other believers & tell them how to live their lives?

On a more serious note, are there so many men who claim a special calling because there are so many churches, or are there so many little churches because there are so many men who claim to be called to

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The Baptist Association where I live in far Western Kentucky is a 2-county association--total population about 80,000. There are about 50 SBC churches in the Association. That doesn't count the Independent Baptist Churches, African-American Baptist churches, Free-Will Baptist churches or General Baptist churches.

My beloved father-in-law spent most of his pastorates out West. Often his was the only Baptist church in town, particularly in Utah. When he pastored in Arizona, he had to drive 3 hours just to attend an Association meeting. That Association had five Baptist churches. (This was 30 years ago).

#26 Tom Butler, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I would contend the following:

1. There are also large churches who are led by a single person or small group who exercises autocratic control.

2. If you looked at the history of why so many churches exist close to each other, no doubt you would find both good and bad reasons to start a church.

3. Many small churches are started by people who recognize that newer churches reach more unsaved people than established churches, and so those men DO feel a call to start another church, possibly fairly close to their mother church, in an area or to reach people group the mother church feels it is not reaching.

4. Sadly, there are also many churches who's autocratic leadership has been killing them for years, and as harsh as it may sound, it might be best if they simply die off and close down rather than perpetuate their style of "church."

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I contend that liberals kill churches faster than autocrats.

9. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

They are two sides to the same evil coin. Both are self-centered instead of Christ-centered.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Do you ever get tired of your single minded agenda?

11. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I don't answer loaded questions.