1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Baptist Historical Society

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The two streams I referenced in my post 19 are the two streams you referenced in your posts 12 (below) and 18.
    As for Baptists coming north from Mexico, due to the grip the Roman Catholic Church had on that territory, that is all but an impossibility.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Lib controlled" yet "almost non-existent" Texas Baptist Historical Society was one of the sponsors of the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Texas State Historical Society:

2017 Annual Meeting Underwriters/Sponsors – Texas State Historical Association

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a good observation. As far as the initial list being primarily southern-based bodies you are correct. Of course, that is part of the historical reality of Texas. There is one exception on my initial list -- the Free Will Baptists. Though the Free Will Baptists of today are a somewhat primarily Southern body, the initial entrance of Free Will Baptists into Texas was from the northeastern-based Free Will Baptists. Once they merged with the Northern Baptists in 1911, what was left of the FWB's had to regroup.
    OK, thanks. That went over my head since I had not suggested any specific ties to academia.
    Yes, we can study that. But that would not be a purpose of a Texas Baptist historical society. It would be more about how and when Baptists came to Texas, how they developed, and so on.

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's good to hear.

When folks look for information on the TBHS online, though, a lot of what you find is outdated. When I went to the TBHS meeting in 2011 it was not well-attended, and after that (about another year) they also stopped printing the Journal (at least I haven't seen one). If you have more details about what is going on, I'd be glad to hear it.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I noted above, Texas Baptists had to originate from beyond the borders of Spanish\Mexican Texas. It wouldn't matter where in the States they came from Albany, NY or Albany, GA.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Roman Catholic church was the official church of the country of Mexico. The Catholic Church was the only church recognized, and only Catholics could be considered citizens. That did not end until after Texas became an independent country, and was already a state of the United States.

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be good to remember the (Spanish) Inquisition was active all over the Spanish Empire not just in Continental Spain.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I would add Primitive Baptists as an exception to primarily southern-based bodies. While there are probably more Primitive Baptists in the south than other places, the original division of Baptists over church auxiliaries such as missionary societies as not a regional event.

As far as Texas itself is concerned, Primitive Baptists and Missionary Baptists are sorts of indigenous bodies. There were Baptists in Texas who had to sort out among themselves which side they were on.