1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Baseball Diamond

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi FM . Thanks for your imput . I kind of favor a hybrid sometimes myself . I once said here that I would like to do one between the TNIV and HCS for a New Testament book or two . Your hybrids would be a bit more complex -- but better .

As for Col. 1:15 , I think the REB had the best rendering overall . But I like your breakdown . Initially I was going to say what wording I liked the most . The word primacy conveys the idea much better than firstborn . ( And it would put the JW's in a tailspin as well ! ) .

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This time I will cite the NLT2 , HCS , and the NRSV -- in that order for some references in Ezekiel .

6:12c

I will spend my fury on them

I will exhaust my wrath on them

Thus I will spend my fury upon them

8:17c

thumbing their noses at me

even putting the branch to their nose

See , they are putting the branch to their nose !

14:9

And if a prophet is deceived into giving a message , it is because I , the Lord , have deceived that prophet . I will lift my fist against such prophets and cut them off from the community of Israel .

But if the prophet is deceived and speaks a message , it was I , the Lord , who deceived that prophet . I will stretch out my hand against him and destroy him from among My people Israel .

If a prophet is deceived and speaks a word , I , the Lord , have deceived that prophet , and I will stretch out my hand against him , and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel .

22:5

O infamous city , filled with confusion , you will be mocked by people far and near .

Those who are near and those far away from you will mock you , infamous one full of turmoil .

Those who are near and those who are far from you will mock you , you infamous one , full of tumult .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.