1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Bible Cover-up?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brice, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Brice

Brice New Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12084683/

Michael Baigent is investigating a grisly crime. He’s tracking down leads, digging for clues, and trying to shed new light on a cold case— a case that is 2,000 years old. And this isn’t just any case: It is perhaps, the most well known story in history—the crucifixion of Jesus.

Sara James, Dateline correspondent: You believe that much of what we think we know about Jesus is a lie?

Michael Baigent, author: It’s a lie. It’s an obvious lie.

Hard to imagine? Author Michael Baigent has captured readers’ imaginations before with a provocative non-fiction work in which he claimed Jesus was married. Some of the same ideas appear in “The Da Vinci Code” by Dan Brown. In fact, he sued Brown’s publisher for copyright infringement. Brown and his publisher strongly deny they did anything wrong. A decision is pending in the case.

Now, Baigent has a new book, "The Jesus Papers," with an even more controversial premise which challenges the conventional story about Jesus.

James: So basically, you’re asking anybody who is a Christian to question their fundamental beliefs?

Baigent: Absolutely.

James: Some might call your position heresy.

Baigent: I should hope they would.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Point?

You expect anything less of the ungodly?

3. Brice

Brice New Member

Not meant to prove anything. Just thought it's interesting and sad at the same time; it also gives us a back story or history on the Da
    Vinci Code which is very popular at the moment. No different then discussing that, so no I don't have a "point" just a sad article.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

It is sad, sad that he believes that stuff. Sad that unbeleivers will read it and think it is true. Sad that there are people who do love Jesus.

5. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I saw that the other night made me so sick i stopped watching. either this guy will get saved or his judgment will be great! :eek:

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

'I have seen secret Israeli documents that prove Jesus was a werewolf, and everyone knows the only way to kill a werewolf is with a silver bullet.'

'So your asking us to believe Jesus was a werewolf, even though you have no evidence?'

'Well, yes. I know it sounds far fetched, but just think - what if Jesus WAS a werewolf!'

puleeze :rolleyes:

7. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Yeah that is about the way the interview went

8. Brice

Brice New Member

It is heartbreaking and this will impact the thoughts of those that are looking for a reason to doubt. It is so so very sad.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

So far it sounds so stupid not sure how anyone could beleive it. Werewolf??

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Sorry donnA, that wasn't what he was saying. I was just joking. He says that Jesus didn't really die, but there was a secret conspiracy between Jesus, Pilate and the disciples to fake His death, kinda like Elvis I guess. Then he goes on to say he has seen evidence that no one else can see, and believes more evidence is being covered up by the Vatican. ROFL

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

what a kook

12. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Men don't survive the beating Jesus took, the crucifixion, and having been run through by a spear (through vital organs) with blood and water having poured out. Those who are knowledgeable about human anatomy say that description is enough to know that Jesus was dead at the time they speared Him.

Sad thing is that people will be led away by this guys words. You don't have to have any proof apparently. Just saying it on TV is enough for some people.

13. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

What do we really know about what happened on that fateful day 2,000 years ago? The exact details of the crucifixion have always been steeped in mystery. What we do have are pieces of evidence from four different and sometimes contradictory gospels written at least 30 years after Jesus died.

Steeped in mystery? Evidently this person has never opened a Bible. And neither has this Baigent guy. How covenient they don't address Jesus' pierced side.

This person also make it sound like 30 years is too long a time for the Bible to be accurate. It's obvious this person has not done their homework.

For most documents of antiquity only a handful of manuscripts exist, some facing a time gap of 800-2000 years or more. Yet scholars are confident of reconstructing the originals with some significant degree of accuracy. In fact, virtually all of our knowledge of ancient history depends on documents like these.
    -Greg Koukl

If I wrote a research paper in HS using this guys technique I would have received an F. His logic is terrible and all his references he cannot produce.

Baigent: Station 14 traditionally is them carrying Jesus into the tomb having died on the cross. But as you can see, the night sky, the moon has risen, Passover has begun. So they’re not carrying the body into the tomb. They’re carrying it out of the tomb.

And if you look at this painting of me, you will see a large house with bars of gold inside. Please call the police, someone burned down my house and stole all the gold. All the other versions of this painting are of me in a McDonalds deep frying hashbrowns.

How can anyone take this guy seriously?

14. Convicted by the Spirit

1 Corinthians 1:18

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

15. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baigent and a partner wrote a book years ago called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". They are currently suing Dan Brown, the author of Da Vinci Code for plagiarism & copywright infringment.

One thing they mention is that there is no extra-Biblical mention of Jesus anywhere, and they get heavy into The Knights Templar.

16. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought I had a copy of HBHG, but I can't find it. I did, however, find a copy of "The Messianic Legacy" written by Baigent and it's the sequel to HBHG.

From the back cover:
    "What is the true source of today's Christian Fundamentalism?"
    "What extraordinary meaning lies behind Jesus' title 'The King of the Jews'?"
    "Why are the stories of Jesus and Mithras nearly identical?"

Same kind of stuff you can find in a million other books.

17. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing new under the sun. I remember a book in the 60's or 70's called "The Passover Plot" in which it was told that Jesus didn't die on the cross, he was drugged.

Same heresy.

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Of course, as you probably know, this last statement is false, but why should they let facts get in the way of a good story, Humh? :rolleyes:

Ed