1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Bible we can agree on????

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Pastor Larry, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

A brand-new translation of the Bible – praised by Britain's archbishop of Canterbury, that nation’s senior Christian voice – flatly contradicts traditional core Christian beliefs on sex and morality.

Titled "Good as New," the new Bible is translated by former Baptist minister John Henson for the "One" organization, to produce what the group calls a "new, fresh and adventurous" translation of the Christian scriptures.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39114

I think this is one of those that we can all agree is a bad translation ...

2. Jacob Webber

Jacob Webber New Member

Yes I can agree it refers to Baptism as dipping. It makes it lose its meaning. It is an outward sign that you have been cleansed by Christ Blood and are willing to follow Him and yet it is called dipping. Peter is reffer to as Rocky and curses at the woman when asked if he was a follower of Jesus. And it seems to leave out the condeming of Homosexual Behavior.

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Here, according to the London Times, are a few sample passages:

Mark 1:4

Authorized version: "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins."

New: "John, nicknamed 'The Dipper,' was 'The Voice.' He was in the desert, inviting people to be dipped, to show they were determined to change their ways and wanted to be forgiven."

Mark 1:10-11

Authorized version: "And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him. And there came a voice from the heaven saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

New: "As he was climbing up the bank again, the sun shone through a gap in the clouds. At the same time a pigeon flew down and perched on him. Jesus took this as a sign that God's spirit was with him. A voice from overhead was heard saying, 'That's my boy! You're doing fine!'"

Matthew 23:25

Authorized version: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!"

New version: "Take a running jump, Holy Joes, humbugs!"

Matthew 26:69-70

Authorized version: "Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, 'Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.' But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest."

New: "Meanwhile Rocky was still sitting in the courtyard. A woman came up to him and said: 'Haven't I seen you with Jesus, the hero from Galilee?" Rocky shook his head and said: 'I don't know what the hell you're talking about!'"

1 Corinthians 7:1-2

KJV: "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

New: "Some of you think the best way to cope with sex is for men and women to keep right away from each other. That is more likely to lead to sexual offences. My advice is for everyone to have a regular partner."

1 Corinthians 7:8-7

KJV: "I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."

New: "If you know you have strong needs, get yourself a partner. Better than being frustrated."

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

[qutoe]it refers to Baptism as dipping.[/quote]Interestingly enough, this may be about the only part they made an inprovement in ...

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

First, this new book is just another part of the anti-Christ's little bag of tricks.

Second, I wonder why the Londer Times chose to use the King James Bible when comparing? I'll tell you why, the King James Bible is the final authority in all faith and practice.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

One shouldn't stoop to fighting a bad translation with false doctrine.

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Homebound:First, this new book is just another part of the anti-Christ's little bag of tricks.

I agree, even though I wonder who it would fool.

Second, I wonder why the Londer Times chose to use the King James Bible when comparing? I'll tell you why, the King James Bible is the final authority in all faith and practice.

Actually, it's because it's a British newspaper and a British Bible. A little national pride.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As bad as this translation might be, this kind of branding is technically a no-no.

So say you.
    So said the RCC concerning the Latin Vulgate for over 1000 years.
    I prefer the Greek and Hebrew Traditional Texts.

HankD

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member