1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A bottle of wine

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 2, 2009.

?
  1. We would enjoy sharing with our guests

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. We would drink a little just to be sociable

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. We would pour a little, but not drink

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. We would not object to them drinking, but we would not

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. We would remain silent, while gritting our teeth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. We would insinuate our displeasure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. We would inform them we would prefer no drinking

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. We would prohibit any drinking

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. We would preach that drinking sends you to hell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other answer

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Here's a question. Even if you don't drink, would you ever give a bottle of wine to someone else as a gift? The reason I ask is because I've on two occaisions received a bottle of wine as a gift from teatotalers. One as a housewarming present, and one when one of my children was born, IIRC.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. Not at all. There are many other things to bring that would be more of a blessing. For a housewarming present, we've done lots of things from Home Depot or Lowes gift cards, to a hot dinner on moving day to "A to Z of Homeownership" (it was a group gift for a friend who bought his first house and included things for every letter of the alphabet - it was funny!). For a new baby, a meal is WAY more useful to new parents than a bottle of wine, IMO. :)

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps they were "regifting" what they couldn't use to someone they knew to be a drinker.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Some new parents might disagree with that :tongue3:

Off topic, the best blessing, imo, for new parents is to bring food over for the parents. The last thing new parents have energy for is cooking.
    I'm not opposed to regifting. Done it myself from time to time. If I have something that I won't use, and it can bless someone else, why not let it be a blessing to them?

If you're going to regift wine, make sure the quality of wine is one where the date is the vintage, not an expiration :eek:

#24 Johnv, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2009
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - which is why our church makes sure new families have atleast 7 meals coming their way. Most choose to have it every other day and that will make almost 2 full weeks which is an AMAZING blessing. My old church did nothing when I had my first two so it was a surprise when I had my third child and was at this new church. I saw the benefit of meals then and now always have a meal ready to go at any time to bless others. :)

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Where were you when my kids were born? I coulda used a ministry like that. My oldest in 22, so I guess I can't play the retroactive card.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:)

Make sure your church has a similar ministry. Ours is not organized as a set ministry but we always make sure for each new mom there's a contact person who will arrange meals. Then we always know, for example that for Shelly's new baby, Mary is arranging meals so give her a call. The church office is made aware of who'd doing the meal arranging so we can always call there. It just usually takes someone to organize it a few times then others will step in too. I think it was terrible that we didn't do this in our old church. Between my first two girls, I got one meal. That was it. :( In contrast, I had 2 weeks worth of meals not only when my younger two were born, as well as when I had my hand surgery and I had 3 meals come when my husband crushed his foot in a fall from the roof. I turned down the meals for that last event because I was fine and was able to take care of cooking but the 3 meals were handy the night he was in the hospital and such.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

We do has such a ministry, and my wife leads it, bless her!

9. JMSR

JMSR New Member

That's one of the benefits of attending church in the south. You get so much as a cough you have to clear the counter for casseroles.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I feel about alcohol about the way Ann does. It is hard to make a factual case from Scripture for abstinance, but I am convicted it is not for me, but I judge no one else. To me, it is a bad witness, and can cause stumbling. The way I look at it, and smoking, is if it bothers me to do it around a church member, or, if it would bother me to teach Sunday School and drink wine, for example, then I have no business doing it.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not sure what we'd do. We wouldn't drink it, but would we just pour it for them to drink, I don't know.
    My husband is a recovering alcoholic, he used to drink heavily before we dated, he stopped drinking when we started dating because he knew I did not approve of it, since I watched my dad as an alcoholic. My husband will not drink because of this, and having it in my family scares me away from even a glass of wine with dinner.
    Not to mention, because we are christians we chose not to drink no matter if we could drink alochol.

12. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

I guess I would have a glass of their wine.......so as not to be rude.
    But I'd prefer a shot of bourbon .