1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Brother offended.....pt.2

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the now disappeared thread we saw that one of the main causes of BB offenses is taking a topic to start with....but then making it into a personal attack rather than staying on the topic.

This usually fails to advance the discussion.
    Instead of healthy interactions where we can exchange solid biblical information it becomes an occasion of the flesh to bite and devour one another.

Now if someone tells lies on a Christian message board that is a sad situation indeed. Such lies come in the form of false witness, a violation of the law of God.
    In the previous thread it was offered that we all have to work at keeping ourselves in check, but also we can and should be our brothers keeper.
    Sometimes the moderator or administrative support might be busy, or in some cases the offending party.
    Maybe we could have some additional emoticons......
    A thermometer that is overheating and needs to cool down

A frozen thermometer that could indicate....I agree with your post, but do not like how you offered it.....it was too harsh.

A man who is falling over a cliff.

A twilight zone emoticon when a novelty is offered,

A dead body....if you try and kill someone rather than help....etc

Can you add to this list?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A donkey could indicate assumption.

Much too often I see people thinking that they know someone, their intent or motivations, and reacting towards these straw men of their imagination by in reality insulting a brother. For the most part we simply don't know another to even remotely justify an assumption.

John Wayne could represent toughen up, people will disagree with your ideas.

I have seen people react in personal defense towards others who disagree with an interpretation or theory they hold. The charges of heterodox, unorthodox, and heresy are far too often tossed around.

Perhaps a target for off topic.

Sent from my TARDIS

#2 JonC, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think this is a good one. There are too many shark attacks where like minded people chum the water and attack one or two people.

I think I remember a young lady joined a few years back and in one of her very first few posts was ripped to shreds by a group of folks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good ones!

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I also think that it would be a good idea to have all politically motivated/influenced response posts removed from threads if they are outside the Politics/News sections.

I've noticed that a lot of our responses to a lot of questions go back to politics and political positioning when there should be a BIBLICAL Christian worldview response that every follower of Christ should be able to rally around or express a BIBLICAL ( not political ) reason for why they do not.

And any time politics (liberal/conservative, Democrat/Republican, Obama/Bush/Clinton/Reagan, etc.) enters a discussion, it generally deteriorates.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have done this more than a few times....
    I take an interest in a thread, but others are already posting good responses.....but I want to get involved and supportive.
    That is all okay, but if the others have it well covered i just read and agree, or do the thumbs up thing.
    Depending on the topic....sometimes i do not let go as easy however....this is where I fall into the shark attack mode:(

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC

yes this could also inject a bit of humor into the discussion so it does not heat up to fast.
    I have also sinned in this way.....have of a post might be misguided because of a perceived wrong action.
    Sometimes the other person is just being a pinhead however so it can get confusing.

Maybe...but when a person posts thopusands of times they get a track record
    Yes...this is not the place for the thin skinned....Ninja

not sure here

excellent

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone, I suppose, has pet peeves or things that set the tone when dealing with people. One of my biggest is abandoned ideas. When someone puts something out there, they should expect it to be questioned. Too often they refuse to answer or justify their view. I've seen entire threads like this. There's an OP, a few comments, and the one who started the OP leaves and begins another. More common, however, is the question "can you please expound" being answered by silence.

I say that to lead to the topic of rating posts. I understand simply disagreeing/disliking a post when the reasons have already been put forward in a thread. But there are many posts where someone will disagree/dislike but never explain the nature of disagreement. I am not sure that these "ratings" really are needed as if you disagree with someone it is only edifying when that disagreement is explained. Then again, I can see just wanting to voice support for one idea or another.

But some ratings should not, IMHO, be here (kinda like that chocolate ice cream under those smileys). "Dumb" does not reflect on a statement but the author. "Old" could be applied to almost any thread on this forum, but just because something is covered to my satisfaction does not mean it is to yours. I just do not see ratings in general as conveying enough useful information. But they do seem at times to spark harsh feelings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey brother Icon,

I need to add something here as well. When I say that we need "thick skin" I mean it in terms of not taking statements personal that in fact deal with statements or views. When I was in sales we had people who would take rejection very personally. They could never "get" that the prospect was rejecting their offer, not them personally. It seems that we have some here like that. Perhaps we all do at times as we are personally connected to our theologies. But here we need to be objective.

I am not in any means saying that we should tolerate personal attacks, comments or insults (these will forever be inappropriate in Christian discourse). But we should realize that they reflect on the character of the one posting such things and not the one receiving....until they reply in kind. This is my weakness. I tend to want to respond to insult with insult, attack with attack. I'm working on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC

Good insight on this one! This is frustrating for sure. A person could be providentially hindered, but the person could also avoid the issue because he cannot defend his statement.

I was thinking about this a bit.....a person could give an agree or disagree, then one of these new proposed symbols, until they have time to answer in detail.

Many glance at their phone in the midst of doing what they need to do.....then later on they have time to respond.

Thumbsup....

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do this as well - or I want to express agreement/disagreement but have nothing more to offer as my position has already been made clear. I can see pros and cons here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC

Another valid point....sometime a keyboard keeps from seeing or hearing more of a persons intent. So a person could go off easily and get hurt feelings rather than focusing on the target , or topic of discussion!

Agreed.....

We all fail here and show how much inferior we are to our Lord.;

21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judget
    h righteously:

8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.

10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.

12 For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

13 And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?

14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's why I stopped giving ratings several months ag0 shortly after we got the new layout. With the exception of 1 or 2 WINNER ratings, I just don't see a point in giving ratings, specifically negative ratings. I just seems rather unChristlike and somewhat childish to rate everything with which you disagree as dumb. And I guess we all knew that was how some were gonna use it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A thermometer that is overheating and needs to cool down

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A frozen thermometer that could indicate....I agree with your post, but do not like how you offered it.....it was too harsh.

[​IMG] ...take a [​IMG]

A man who is falling over a cliff.

[​IMG]

A twilight zone emoticon when a novelty is offered,

[​IMG]

A dead body....if you try and kill someone rather than help....etc

[​IMG][​IMG]

...courtesy of Symposium.

#14 Benjamin, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks Benjamin,
    How could I import them as you have done....I like these...haha.

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right click the image, select - copy image address, click on image symbol above your post - insert. [​IMG]

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Frankly, I am disappointed" could be one to show that a response is less than what the poster usually brings to the BB.

But, how does one communicate disappointment, and not disapproval?

Why can't we rate ourselves?

There are some threads that I would rate myself as the biggest disappointment.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sometimes interacting with persons who are unknown to us presents a challenge that we otherwise do not face that often.
    If you see you have fallen short,just work and purpose t o improve on it

19. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

How about a Pharisee emoji lolzzz? Speechless

Or one for the grandstanders who overlook the lies of some (out of fear) and attack the others for calling them out? Laugh Roflmao :p :D :) Laugh Tongue

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you making a claim about yourself or someone else?

Are you a pharisee in disguise, are you one who overlooks lies of some (out of fear) and attack the others?

I ask because if you are making a slander against another member of the BB, then I would merely caution you not to go so far as to violate the forum rules. If you are commenting about yourself, then that is not a violation.