1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Call to Biblical Truth

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Protestant, Dec 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference which you seem fail be able to understand. There is a distinct difference between nativity sets and worship of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you aware of anyone who actually worships nativity sets? This seems like a big straw man.

Just to close the loop, is merely having a nativity set a violation of the second commandment or does God just turn a blind eye to them?

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your argument makes no sense.

4. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let me try and make this easier for you since you seem to be really struggling with what I thought was a rather simple question. Please select the correct answer.

Are nativity sets violations of the second commandment's prohibition of images?

_____ Yes

_____ No

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

6. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Glad to see you changed your mind...

Nativity sets always seem to throw a wrench into the iconoclast's condemnation of others.

#26 Campion, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hadn't changed my mind about anything here. It would seem you are making a false accusation of some kind.
    You are accusing me of my mind about what?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No false accusations. You seemed to initially condemn them. Your posts are there to see. This is why I asked you directly, which seemingly contradicts your previous views on nativity sets. See below for a refresher of what you previously posted...

Asked to directly answer whether nativity sets violate the second commandment, you then answered...

9. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Hello Edmund Campion, reincarnated spirit of the 16th century English Jesuit. You speak truth regarding the hypocrisy of so-called 'Protestant' churches who build and display Nativity scenes. The sad fact is that there has been an ever-diminishing flow of untainted orthodox biblical Christianity since the time of the Apostles. Much of today's so-called 'Christianity' is one which 'walks by sight, not by faith.' Their grandiose 'temples' reflect this mindset.
    As appalling and unbiblical as Nativity scenes are, I could not help but note your deflecting away from the most serious issue at hand: the Pope is an outrageous idolater, who leads an idolatrous people into an idolatrous religion..... whose end thereof is damnation, according to God's infallible Word.
    Care to comment?

10. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no such thing as reincarnation. I can assure you I am not a 16th century martyred saint.

Yes, here are my comments. God is the first and ultimate iconographer by virtue of the Incarnation...

"[Christ]Who is the image of the invisible God..." (Col 1:15)

Thus, in light of the Incarnation, paradoxically, it is the iconoclast who is guilty of idolatry.

Scripture shows us that idolatry consists in either the worshiping of a false god (e.g. Molech in Leviticus 18:21, Baal and Ashtoreth in Judges 2:13, Chemosh in Judges 11:23-24 or Dagon in Judges 16:23), or in worshiping a false representation of the One True God. The example of this second form of idolatry that most of us are familiar with is the account of the Jews, when they worshiped the true God who delivered them from Egypt as a false representation in the golden calf. (cf. Nehemiah 9:18) Prior to the Incarnation, it was idolatrous to make an image of God because He had not yet revealed Himself. He was hidden. (cf. Exodus 33:20) Any type of representation of Him was forbidden because any representation of Him would be false. However, by becoming man, God has entered into His creation and thus now given man an image of Himself. In Christ, we now have the “image of the invisible God.” (cf. Col 1:15)

By becoming man, God has now taken on flesh and His creation is now the theater of His grace. God is no longer hidden. He is now material, physical and visible. God can now be portrayed because He is fully God and fully man. He has been seen; He has taken on our nature. Thus, any rejection of icons is a rejection of the Incarnation, and therefore represents a false representation of who God is. Rejecting icons / iconography is rejecting that God has in fact come in the flesh. It says God has no physical body and still remains hidden. It says God is not Immanuel, but rather is Hester Panim. Since the Incarnation, this belief is now idolatry, for it is worshipping a misrepresentation of God.

If you reject nativity sets, you reject Him who they depict. You proclaim God is not in fact Immanuel.

11. Protestant

Campion wrote: "Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no such thing as reincarnation. I can assure you I am not a 16th century martyred saint."

The fact that you have taken the name of the condemned liar who vehemently opposed biblical truth is quite telling. It is no mere coincidence that you, too, adamantly oppose the perspicuity of Scripture, confusing the issues, while begging the questions yet to be proved because they run counter to the very Scriptures you claim teach worship of 'Christian' idols. Thus, like John the Baptist who came in the ‘spirit and power of Elijah’ you, too, come in the spirit and power of Edmund Campion….. at the very least you attempt as much.

Prior to the Incarnation, it was idolatrous to make an image of God because He had not yet revealed Himself.

Really? Did not the Lord fellowship with Adam and Eve? Did not the Lord appear to Abraham and even dine with him? Did not Jacob wrestle with God?

He was hidden. (cf. Exodus 33:20) Any type of representation of Him was forbidden because any representation of Him would be false. However, by becoming man, God has entered into His creation and thus now given man an image of Himself. In Christ, we now have the “image of the invisible God.” (cf. Col 1:15)

You are claiming a new commandment which is not written in the book you profess to believe: the Holy Bible.

I will now cite your Douay-Rheims Version:

1. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

Pagan gods are certainly strange. But so is an artist/sculptor's artistic vision of our incomprehensible God who possesses infinite magnificent glory. With whom, then, will you compare God? To what image will you liken him? (Isaiah 40:18 NIV) And to whom have ye likened me, or made me equal, saith the Holy One? (Douay-Rheims, verse 25).

2. Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth.

Your very own Bible version does not give permission to make images of Christ or ‘saints,’ (including the BVM). It condemns making graven images of ANYTHING or ANYONE, divine, carnal or otherwise.

Typical of the prideful Jesuits, you add a stipulation to the second commandment……”with the exception of the incarnate Christ, Mary and the saints, in which case their statues MUST be erected in our churches.”

Do you not know there is a divine curse upon those who add or take away from God’s Word? (Deuteronomy 4:2; Revelation 22:18-19; to name a few).

Furthermore, were there an exception to the Law allowing ‘Christian’ statuary as you profess, why do we not read of instances where the Apostles erected graven images for the benefit of the idolatrous Gentiles that they, too, may honor and adore their departed Mother of God, as well as the Lord Jesus?

And why did the early Church Fathers condemn such images in churches?

And where is the faithful true image or rendering of the Lord Jesus Christ so that we can have full assurance THIS IS THE MAN CHRIST JESUS of whom the Scriptures do speak?

And why could you not cite Scripture which actually condones that which Scripture actually condemns? Instead, you make leaps of logic to ‘prove’ your point.

For example, Christ is God….Christ is good,,,,,,Christ is the image of the invisible God…..Therefore, images of Christ MUST be good and lawful.

This kind of perverted biblical exegesis is typical of Roman Catholicism and other Cults.

Ask a Roman Catholic if he/she is born again.

Response: Yes, I received Jesus this morning. Evangelicals admit that if we receive the gift of Christ we are born again.

Question: How did you receive Jesus? Was it by faith in His person, work and teachings?

Response: No. I ate His flesh and drank His blood. Scripture says, He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

Question: How did you accomplish that task?

Response: This morning at the Sacrifice of the Holy Mass. I ate the consecrated wafer which is the literal body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ.

TO BE CONTINUED I am sure……

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Protestant

[​IMG]

His Holiness offers a golden rose to Our Lady of Sorrows, Patroness of Slovakia, proving his undying idolatrous devotion to the Blessed Virgin. It also proves his undying idolatrous devotion to a plethora of demon ‘gods’ represented by a cornucopia of Marian idols under innumerable pseudonyms.

Scripture Requires We Test the Spirits

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world (1 John 4:1).

Testing the Spirit of Pope Francis

No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God…. (1 John 3:9-10).

According to the infallible Word, the persistent, relentless practice of unrighteousness is proof that person is a child of the devil, no matter how insistent the claim he is the anointed holy Vicar of Christ, head of Christ’s Church on Earth.

Consider the Implications

It is impossible Pope Francis, a fervent practicing idolater, is a regenerate child of God. Scripture, which is God-breathed and cannot lie, identifies him as a child of the devil, the Father of Lies.

Reaching this biblical conclusion does not require an advanced degree from seminary nor the majority vote of church elders. It does, however, require a dose of Holy Ghost discernment which comes to all those regenerated by the Spirit of Truth, having a modicum of spiritual understanding derived from Scripture study.

It is no surprise the unregenerate world reveres and panders to this phony ‘holy man.’ The Pope is of the world (whose god is Satan), which is why the world loves him (John 15:19).

The Enemy Within

There is, however, an enemy whose threat to biblical truth is less overt and obvious than that of a man dressed in religious robes wearing two-horned mitres who pronounces the canonized dead as all-powerful gods able to answer the prayers of all who call upon them.

This enemy, like Judas, betrays Christ. This enemy declares holy, loving and Christ-like that which the Word of God calls blasphemous, hateful and satanic.

This enemy calls Roman Catholicism 'Christian.' “[W]e regard Roman Catholicism as neither a biblically sound Christian church nor a cult, but a Christian church with a mixture of orthodox and erroneous teachings” (Hank Hanegraaf, Bible Answer Man).

This enemy called Pope John Paul II “the greatest leader of the modern world, and one of the greatest moral and spiritual leaders of this century” (Billy Graham, The Saturday Evening Post, Jan/Feb 1980).

This enemy claims it is possible to be a saved Roman Catholic who remains in the Roman Catholic Church. “There are certainly born-again Catholics who love God and do not worship Mary.” Is the Catholic Church part of Christianity or is it a separate religion? (compellingtruth.org)

The list of ‘Evangelical’ leaders who glorify Roman Catholicism is continually growing:

Rick Warren: “Yeah, right. Well, the main thing is love always reaches people. Authenticity, humility. Pope Francis is the perfect example of this. He is a—He is doing everything right.”

Luis Palau: “You know [the newly elected Pope Francis] knew God the father personally. The way he prayed, the way he talked to the Lord, was of a man who knows Jesus Christ and was very spiritually intimate with the Lord…..He's a very Bible-centered man, a very Jesus Christ-centered man.”

Jerry Falwell: “Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II are the greatest men in my lifetime” (National Catholic Register, May 9, 1982).

Pat Robertson on the passing of Pope John Paul II: “I am deeply grieved as a great man passes from this world to his much deserved eternal reward.”

Jack Van Impe supported Roman Catholicism, calling Pope John Paul II a born-again Christian, according to Dave Hunt.

Dr. John Rice hoped Pope John Paul I was born-again, but was certain Pope John 23 loved the Lord. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ey2P17LjL.jpg

To this list we must add Walter Martin (original Bible Answer Man, who omitted Roman Catholicism from his Kingdom of the Cults book), James Robison, Kenneth Copeland, Joel Osteen and the signators of Evangelicals and Catholics Together, to name a few.

Jesus answered and said unto these evangelical leaders, Art thou masters of Israel, and knowest not these things?

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A question concerning veneration (which means great respect, awe, honor…)

Are believers to venerate the typed words on the page of the Bible’s they study, or are they to venerate the principles those words teach that brings about cleansing, renewing, and holiness, or both?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    interesting list.

I noticed that everyone on the list were not Calvinistic concerning their thinking of salvation.

Wonder why?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Protestant

The 1689 Baptist Confession contains an excellent biblical answer to your question: 1689 Baptist Confession Chapter 1 (arbca.com)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Protestant

Very astute observation. Roman Catholicism also holds to the doctrine of ‘Free Will.’ Man may either choose or reject Christ, according to its Catechism # 1730-1731.

Not all Arminians considered the Catholic Church a true Christian Church, however. John Wesley was a vocal opponent. The following quote is taken from John Wesley’s Writings on Roman Catholicism, a publication of the Protestant Truth Society, London, n.d.:

“[T]he Church of Rome in its present form was not founded by Christ himself. All the doctrines and practices wherein she differs from us were not instituted by Christ; they were unknown to the Ancient Church of Christ; they are unscriptural, novel corruptions….. Neither is it holy. The generality of its members are no holier than Turks or Heathens. You need not go far for proof of this. Look at the Romanists in London or Dublin. Are these the Holy, the only Holy Church? Just such holiness is in the bottomless pit…….. the Roman Catholics, in general, are not the People of GOD” (pp. 22-23).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Protestant

Denying Christ is no minor matter. Rather, it is a matter of eternal consequence.

but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven (Matthew 10:33).

And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ (Matthew 7:23).

Many Ways to Deny Christ

The most well-known way to deny Christ is seen in Peter who, out of fear, denied knowing Christ three times. (Luke 22:54 ff.)

But there are much subtler methods of denying Christ. One such method is that of professing to be His devoted disciple, yet denying His clear teachings.

For example, Christ specifies how we are to pray:

Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you (John 16:23).

The Apostle John elaborates:

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us (1 John 5:14-15).

Pope Francis differs. Either he is wiser than our Lord, knowing a better, more efficacious way to pray, or he is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Pope Francis Prays to Mary, Undoer of Knots

Pope Francis turns to Mary, Undoer of Knots, at end of rosary marathon for end to pandemic | Catholic News Agency

Vatican City, May 31, 2021 / 11:30 am

Pope Francis asked on Monday for the intercession of Mary, Undoer of Knots, as he ended a month-long global rosary marathon.

The pope led the recitation of the rosary in a breezy Vatican Gardens May 31 before an image of the Virgin Mary untying knots brought from Augsburg, Germany.

The pope introduced the rosary standing before the image.

“During this month of May with many of the faithful we joined in prayer with various shrines [i.e. ‘worship centers’ which enable Mariolatry] scattered throughout the world and dedicated to you, O Mary our Holy Mother,” he said.

“We have asked you to intercede for us with your Son Jesus. Every day, holding in our hands the crown of the holy rosary, we have turned our eyes to you, Mother of Mercy, begging that the pandemic may end and humanity may resume its daily life with greater security.”

Pope Francis Teaches A Four-Fold Godhead; Another Intercessor Besides Jesus

Bypassing God the Father in prayer is not sufficient for the ‘Holy Father’ to deny Christ’s teaching. He must also deny eternal truth of Scripture which says: For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus (1 Timothy 2:5).

By claiming Mary Undoer of Knots (which represent all things which oppress mankind, including the pandemic and sin of unbelief), Pope Francis has elevated Mary to the status of a God more powerful than the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Thus, in reality, Roman Catholicism worships a QUADRINITY (Mother, Father, Son and Holy Spirit), as well as claiming TWO INTERCESSORS, the man Christ Jesus and the woman, Blessed Virgin Mary, thereby denying the one true God and one true mediator.

This is yet another clear example as to why Roman Catholicism and her Pope are NOT Christian, but rather ANTI-Christianity and ANTICHRIST.

TO BE CONTINUED…….

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Protestant

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven (Matthew 10:32-33).

For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist (2 John 7).

Please note the specific denial denoted in 2 John 7: …..many deceivers who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

[​IMG]

Pope Francis raises a wafer he calls ‘Jesus’ as a propitiatory sacrifice offered to Father God for sins.

The Council of Trent (Session 22, Chapter 2) explains “inasmuch as in this divine sacrifice which is celebrated in the mass is contained and immolated in an unbloody manner the same Christ who once offered Himself in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross, the holy council teaches that this is truly propitiatory…… For, appeased by this sacrifice, the Lord grants the grace and gift of penitence and pardons even the gravest crimes and sins.”

This Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass denies Christ in many ways.

1. It denies the ‘once for all’ sacrifice of Christ (Romans 6:10; Hebrews 7:27; 9:28), since it is repeated millions of times worldwide for centuries.

2. It denies the perfection of Christ’s sacrifice (Hebrews 10:14), since it is repeated millions of times worldwide for centuries.

3. It denies the divine truth that without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins (Hebrews 9:22).

4. It denies Christ is come in the flesh.

How Does the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass Deny Christ is Come in the Flesh?

Why was the Word made flesh? There are many reasons, but the primary reason was to fulfill the Law as a man in order to qualify to die as a substitutionary sin offering in our stead. Unless the Son of God was given a fleshly body like unto us, (but without sin), He could not give His life a ransom for many, the very purpose of Christ’s mission. He was the Lamb of God, the fulfillment of all the blood sacrifices demanded by the Law for the remission of sin. For without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.

God is an eternal Spirit and cannot die. The sinless, innocent man Christ Jesus, however, could and did die, taking our due punishment upon Himself. His resurrection was proof His sacrifice propitiated the justice of God.

The Roman Catholic Sacrificial Mass Makes a Mockery of the Infinite Wisdom, Righteousness, Holiness and Justice of God

The Catholic Magisterium is not ignorant. They admit Christ came in the flesh. They even profess Christ is God come in the flesh. However, they deny the efficacy of Christ’s bloody sacrifice. So they have devised another sacrifice which ‘completes’ the deficient sacrifice of the Son of God.

This, of course, infers the RCC is wiser than God Almighty who, from eternity, precisely planned Christ’s perfect, unfailing sacrifice. For the Roman Church has devised another sin offering -- a consecrated wafer manmade by sinners which, when eaten, gives full remission of sin. This wafer God the Father willingly accepts, so they proudly profess.

A rational person must then ask, How can a manmade wafer be effectual as a sin offering to our holy, righteous, just God?...... For it did not fulfill the holy Law, nor did it shed holy blood.

The Catholic solution: the doctrine of Transubstantiation.

By reciting a formulaic prayer, word for word, the priest or Pope has the supernatural power to transform the wafer into the Roman Catholic God, whom they call ‘Jesus Christ.’

True, to human eyes and taste, the wafer remains a wafer after consecration. But the Roman Catholic theologians insist that, despite all evidence to the contrary, the literal Jesus of the Bible – body, blood, soul and divinity – is contained in their tiny, thin, brittle wafer.

But try as they may – whether through Latin sorcery or smokescreen of burning incense -- the Pope and his priests are neither Gods nor truthful. They have no power to summon the true God at their behest, let alone create their Creator.

The Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass denies the fleshly sacrifice of Christ. Roman Catholics have not a whit of problem or concern with this blasphemous deception, as they fervently ‘eat’ their God. Such insanity is the effect of God’s sending them strong delusion that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Truly, the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the satanic ceremonial sacrifice of a deceiver and an antichrist.

John Calvin comments on 1 John 2:18

Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.

“nder the Papacy there is nothing more notorious and common than the future coming of Antichrist; and yet they are so stupid, that they perceive not that his tyranny is exercised over them…… The Popes have imagined an Antichrist, who for three years and a half is to harass the Church. All the marks by which the Spirit of God has pointed out Antichrist, clearly appear in the Pope; but the triennial Antichrist lays fast hold on the foolish Papists, so that seeing they do not see. Let us then remember, that Antichrist has not only been announced by the Spirit of God, but that also the marks by which he may be distinguished have been mentioned.”

N.B. Calvin and all Protestant Reformers understood the Papal officeholder to be the Antichrist forewarned in Scripture. Calvin exposed the false doctrine professed by the Roman Church, a doctrine popularized through the Jesuit Francisco Ribera’s Apocalypse Commentary, for it places Antichrist’s coming far into the distant future, in the last 3 ½ years of the world. Thus, the present-day Pope could NOT be the Antichrist, despite the cries of the Reformers. This is the same doctrine held by millions of sincere, yet deceived Evangelicals, called ‘Futurism.’

TO BE CONTINUED…….

19. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Those of the Sardisean Church age... Doctrine in the head... Deviltry in the heart!

"Pure devilry is urging on the peasants. Therefore let all who are able, mow them down, slaughter and stab them, openly or in secret, and remember that there is nothing more poisonous, noxious and utterly devilish than a rebel. You must kill him as you would a mad dog" -Martin Luther

"Whoever shall maintain that wrong is done to heretics and blasphemers in punishing them makes himself an accomplice in their crime and guilty as they are. There is no question here of man's authority; it is God who speaks, and clear it is what law he will have kept in the church, even to the end of the world. Wherefore does he demand of us a so extreme severity, if not to show us that due honor is not paid him, so long as we set not his service above every human consideration, so that we spare not kin, nor blood of any, and forget all humanity when the matter is to combat for His glory." - John Calvin after toasting Michael Servetus

It is nice when holiness exists in the heart in the form of good people!

20. Protestant

Hello Rocky, thank you for having the courage to join the conversation, although I found your post rather obtuse, considering the subject at hand: the many ways the Roman Catholic Church denies Christ.

Perhaps you are Roman Catholic? Or perhaps you are a Pentecostal who has much in common with Roman Catholicism, i.e. a preoccupation with miracles. Have you perchance read R.W. Schambach’s The Anointing of Miracles?

[​IMG]

Of course you have. I suggest you start a new thread, “How to Partner with God’s Supernatural Power.” I am sure many on this Board would find such valuable information uplifting, encouraging and life changing.

But let’s return to your comment. Please cite your sources from their primary sources only, so we can test their validity word for word.

I realize there are many religious folks, such as yourself, who believe Luther and Calvin are of the devil, having little to no love in their hearts for their fellow man.

May I remind you, Rocky, of the God you serve, who does not change, but is the same forever? May I also remind you of a few verses I know you hold dear to your breast? For God so loved the world…..God is love…..

Now turn your Bible to the book of Genesis, chapters 6-9. It is there you will find the love of God for 8 people whom God did not drown. The entire rest of mankind – the elderly, the infirmed, infants, small children, pregnant women, the mentally challenged -- were purposefully drowned by our holy, righteous, just, loving, merciful, gracious God.

Now compare this truth to what you consider sinful of Luther and Calvin.

You take care, Rocky.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.