1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Calvinistic contradiction

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Skandelon, May 30, 2004.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just to mention, that it's funny that this, as you must know, is precisely the argument of the Primitive Baptists against mainstream Calvinism. So to them God can save apart from faith, and apart from the Gospel, which is just to feed the sheep.

The "push" analogy was good, but to make it better, how about "push out of a burning building into a net they were unwilling (afraid) to trust to catch them". Now, the analogy is much closer.
    And the resistance is what keeps them in their sin, not God refusing to save them to begin with.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Ooh, theology by analogy or allegory! Can I play? Here's one...

And here's the free-will version of the same parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed wheat in his field. And all of the wheat turned to tares of its own free will. So the farmer told to his servants, 'go out and gently woo the tares, offering them the chance to turn back into wheat, so for as many as use their free will to choose to go back into wheat, I will do it for them. For although I have the power to turn all the tares to wheat, I will not use it unless they respond to your gentle wooing, because otherwise they would not be respons-able.'"

;)

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You need a biblical basis for this type of reasoning. You cast God in a horrible light by anyone's perspective because he is condemning men for not doing something he didn't create the capasity for them to do. You need to at least back that up with scripture. BTW, please use scripture that is actually addressing this issue. The verses you use below are written about totally different issues.

Amen, But what does this have to do with what you have stated. It shows that we are all sinners, it says nothing about our ability or lack there of to respond in faith to the gospel's call.

And? In the context it is clear that Paul uses this passage in Romans 9 as proof God can save dirty rotten Gentiles if he wants and he can harden upstanding clerical Jews if he wants. It says nothing about God granting certain people with the capasity for faith to the neglect of all others.

You are mistaken. Let me give you just a few examples of God's rebuking men for their unbelief and rejection of God's calling:

Mt 11:21
    "What horrors await you, Korazin and Bethsaida! For if the miracles I did in you had been done in wicked Tyre and Sidon, their people would have sat in deep repentance long ago, clothed in sackcloth and throwing ashes on their heads to show their remorse.

Notice they are being rebuked for their lack of response.

Matt. 23:37
    "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me.

Notice they are being rebuked for not responding and not allowing the people they lead to respond to God's call to "gather them beneath his wings."

Romans 10:21 But regarding Israel, God said, "All day long I opened my arms to them, but they kept disobeying me and arguing with me."

Once again you see God calling and patiently holding out his hands to people and they reject him and recieve rebuke. It is not just the fact that they are sinful that they are rebuked and condemned, they are rebuked for their unbelief and lack of response. They are called to repentance for their sins and rebuked for not responding and its that rebuke that causes your contradiction. Why would God rebuke and even condemn a man for not doing something that he wasn't created with the ability to do?

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Your verses demonstrate that God wants people to respond, and they won't. These verses do not address WHY they do not respond, and they do not address IF they have the ability to respond.

For example:

Matthew 11:21 "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

What is this verse really saying?

1. That God could have saved the people of Tyre and Sidon if He had performed mighty works there? If so, then you have just proved that God elects some and not others, because God chose not to do what was necessary to save Tyre and Sidon.

2. If, in order to avoid this difficulty, you insist that this particular "repentance in sackcloth and ashes" was not unto salvation, but simply some other level of repentance, then you cannot use this verse to address soteriology, because being saved is not at issue here.

3. If you do insist that God could have caused Tyre and Sidon to repent unto salvation if He had done these mighty works, then that still leaves the question as to why Tyre and Sidon would have repented, Chorazin and Bethsaida would not. Nowhere in this verse does it say the difference is one of free will or some other ability or quality in man -- that is assumed on your part.

But here is a verse that shows that miracles and mighty works aren't effective unless God gives us ears to hear and eyes to see...

Deut 29:2 Now Moses called all Israel and said to them: "You have seen all that the LORD did before your eyes in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh and to all his servants and to all his land-- 3 the great trials which your eyes have seen, the signs, and those great wonders. 4 Yet the LORD has not given you a heart to perceive and eyes to see and ears to hear, to this very day.

It does not say, "You have seen all that the LORD did, but you chose of your own free will not apply what you saw toward trusting the LORD." It says that the LORD had not given them a heart to perceive or eyes to see and ears to hear.

In Romans, Paul blends this verse with Isaiah 29:10, where it refers to blinding/hardening. But Deuteronomy 29:2 does not talk about hardening, it talks about an ability God withheld.

In Deuteronomy 30, God turns that around and talks about how He will change our hearts that we might love Him and live. Once again, it does not say God will give us a choice to love Him, it says God will actively circumcise our hearts and the hearts of our descendencts so that we will love Him. Big difference.

Deuteronomy 30:6 And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live.

5. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well then, that is another qualifier put. It should have been "If God had given Tyre and Sidon the eyes to see, they would have repented". If He hadn't, then they would not have repented. (So, what's the point, then?) Thus Christ's words are rendered meningless.
    Nobody ever said they started out as wheat!

6. Skandelon

Why would God want people to do something he didn't create them to do? The fact the he wants them to respond and calls them to a response and even rebukes them for not responding gives us a strong reason to believe that they have that ability.

You might have a desire for your child to do something beyond his abilities, but you are not going to beg him to do something you know he can't do and then punish him for not doing it. You wouldn't even do that to a stranger. Why would God be less merciful or kind than you?

Matthew 11:21 "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

Just because something may be "necessary" to break a persons will doesn't mean God is obligated to do it. I have never claimed that God could'nt change anyone's will he wanted to change. He is God. He could have convinced Hitler if He wanted to by some supernatural appearance or something like that, but that is not his desire. His desire is for us to have faith. To please God one must believe he exists Hebrews teaches us. The story of Thomas shows us that God can and sometimes does interviene to show himself to a doubter, but he also teaches us that he perfers and even blesses those who do not see and still believe. I've never claimed God is obligated to do anything and everything to convince the human will. I don't agree with Arminians who say that God has done everything He could do to save all the lost. That is silly. God has done everything he wanted to do to allow people to respond in faith and love to his provisions of mercy. He wants people to choose who they will follow. If He didn't He would have just made the rocks cry out in the first place.

I see no difficulty with my beliefs so I don't need to resort to this option, I only see the difficulty this verse creates for your beliefs because it directly highlights man's willful response to external stimuli which flies in the face of a dogma that excludes human will in salvation.

What other variable beside their wills is in play here? If it wasn't the signs and wonders that could have convinced Tyre and Sidon to repentance then why did Jesus even bring the signs and wonders up? As Eric pointed out, you make Jesus' words meaningless by suggesting that this passage isn't about man's response to God's revelation.

You are correct that if God withholds the ability to see, hear and understand that it can't be done. But there is no indication that he was withholding that ability for those in Chorazin and Bethsaida, if he was Jesus' point would have been meaningless. Plus, you have to understand that the Exodus is foreshadowing of the events we see recorded in the NT story of redemption. Just as the Israelites were saved in the passover from the wrath of God for Pharoah and the Egyptians, all believers are saved from death and the wrath of God. And just as we see God purposefully withholding abilities from the Israelites while in the dessert, we see him doing the same thing in the NT times as Paul explains in Acts 28:21-28 and Romans 9-11 etc. And the scripture is clear that had not NOT hardened or withheld the ability to see, hear, and understand that they may have repented and believed. Now, if you can show me where it teaches all men are born unable to see, hear and understand and remain in that state until God gives them that ability then we can pursue the next question which is: Is the Holy Spirit wrought gospel message enough to enable a man who is fallen to believe?

This has to be one of the worse cases of proof texting I've seen to date. You conclude from this passage that man doesn't have a choice to love God? Really? Did you read the whole chapter?

Here are just a few verses that you may have missed:

11 "For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off... in that I command you today to love the Lord your God

I guess God is lying to some of the people here because according to your doctrine it is too mysterious and far off for the non-elect ones in the group, right?

17 "But if your heart turns away and you will not obey, but are drawn away and worship other gods and serve them, 18 I declare to you today that you shall surely perish...19 I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore CHOOSE life, that both you and your descendants may live

Hmmm, those "elect" people in verse 6 who were "made to love God" may turn away and worship other god's only to perish in the end. How does that fit? And it certainly seems as if man must make some kind of choice from this passage?

Earlier in Deut 13 it says:
    1 "If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, 2 and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, 'Let us go after other gods'--which you have not known--'and let us serve them,' 3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Please explain to me why God would need to test their love from them if it is He who made them to love Him? Does He think that His effectual call may not take with some of them? Please explain.

[ June 02, 2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Skandelon ]

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You mean, for example, follow the law?

This is a spectacular verse to illustrate the point:

Now isn't the wording interesting? "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you." Sounds like God knows in advance what the outcome will be. And He does...

Keep reading, too - there's plenty more about how God knows what the people will "choose" and the evil the people will do, and how God knows in advance, and plans to curse them for doing evil.

So here's God basically saying, "This commandment is easy, and I know you understand it. You have set before you life and death, blessing and curses, so choose life. But I know you're going to choose death and cursing. So I'm going to curse you and scatter you to the ends of the earth. Then I'm going to regather you, circumcize your hearts so that you'll love Me and live."

Sounds like there's a very hard lesson in all of this, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with free will. Indeed, it sounds like God is teaching man how fundamentally rebellious he is, unable to obey even easy commands that are easy to understand. And once God has proven to man just how unable he is to please God of his own free will, God will show them the only way to repent -- if God Himself circumcizes their hearts.

8. Skandelon

You mean, for example, follow the law? </font>[/QUOTE] But God did create man to glorify him through obedience to the Law and they failed, so God created a solution to that problem by sending his Son to fulfill the Law in our stead which we could have applied to us through faith. Following the Law was not possible but faith is.

The law was given to us as a tutor to show us our need for Him. You see there is a reason for God giving us the Law. Now what is the reason for God calling people who can't repent to repentance?

This is a spectacular verse to illustrate the point:
    Now isn't the wording interesting? "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you." Sounds like God knows in advance what the outcome will be. And He does...[/quote][/qb] No one here is debating whether God knows the outcome of man's choices. Knowing the response is much different than causing it irresistably.

You've got part of it right. God is showing through the law that man is in need of Grace and in need ultimately of Christ's atonement. Repentance and faith is their only hope.

9. Skandelon

In short, God provided the law to help men know they need Grace which comes through faith.

Proof that men can't obey the law is not proof men can't have faith. The law was given to show men they can't measure up. Are you saying now the call to faith was given to show men they can't have faith either?