1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A carryover thread from 'The Children whom God hath given me .'

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SovereignGrace, Jun 30, 2015.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you care to respond to this, DHK? Please?

2. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK, you stated this:

Did you write it in this article?

http://www.sermonillustrations.com/a-z/a/apostles.htm

But it is verbatim to what you posted to me.

3. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was what was written on that site:

It was accredited to John Berstecher. Are you John Berstecher?

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong again DHK. Have you never heard of God's glorious, discriminating grace? The Lord chooses certain ones --nothing is haphazard in God.

He reveals himself to particular ones and hides himself from others.

He knows certain ones and others he declares at the Great Judgment Day :"I never knew you."

He mercies who he sovereignly wants to and hardens the rest.
    Jesus said : No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.
    It means not a single person can come to Jesus unless the Father who sent Jesus draws that person to Jesus. And the person who is thus drawn will be raised up on the last day by Jesus.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There are some Calvinists on this board that act as if they have never heard of them. Some consider sola fide, or "faith" as a work. Therefore in their scheme of salvation faith isn't considered. Some, such as Icon, believe that because "salvation is all of God," that faith has not role. If it is "all of God" faith somehow gets a pass.
    It is. What is even more sad is that men like Al Moehler are leaders in this movement in order to appeal to the "Millennials."
    No, primarily to those who I just read on this board.
    IMO, they put far too much emphasis on God's Sovereignty and the doctrine of Predestination than the rest of the doctrines of the Bible. They are unbalanced.
    No praise, only responsibility. If the gift of salvation is offered to man, it is his responsibility to accept it and not reject it, as the Jews did (John 1:11).
    If he plants corn he knows that corn will come up. But not all corn will come up. Some will not germinate. His foreknowledge is not adequate. Some will be withered; some stunted; some attacked by insects, etc. He cannot foreknow what will happen in his crop.
    The Lord has planted "men". Some will receive him and some will not. Predestination speaks to the saved, always. He does not predestine (reprobate) a certain percentage to hell.
    David was a man after God's own heart. He bore children after his own image (and the image of God). But not all his children were "righteous" as David was. In fact Absalom was a traitor and led a rebellion against David. How could David have known those things would have happened? Would he have given birth to them if he had had that foreknowledge??
    "Foreknew" means to know ahead of time as in omniscience. Those that he knew before the world was ever created would get saved, those he "predestined". Why? He already knew they would get saved. He knew they would respond with "yes" to receiving Christ. Therefore they were predestined. And those were called. Why? They were called into His service to do his will to glorify Him. He also had justified the same. They will also be glorified.
    Note: everything here is about the believer; nothing is said about the unbeliever, about reprobation.
    That is not true. It is adequately demonstrated in the Book of Job where God gives permission to Satan to tempt Job. God is still sovereign, but within the limits of his sovereignty there is some amount of freedom given to Satan to test Job any way he wishes. There is also freedom given to Job to respond to those temptations any way he wished. He is not bound by the decrees of God.
    God, being God, is omniscient. He simply knows the outcome. Knowing the outcome does not determine the outcome.
    Allowing it and causing it, are two very different things.
    God allowed Satan to rebel; he didn't cause him or force him.
    He made man in his own image (with a will). Man chose to go against God's will.
    The statement was "Does he cause all things to happen"?
    I find your answer not much different than that of a Muslim.

When a mother loses a child to an act of terrorism she looks to heaven first, and then to you, and she will say: "It is Allah's will."
    That is fatalism. It is God's will that all things happen as they do--good or bad; terrorism, evil, etc. It makes God the author of evil.
    Man still has a will and God still expects him to exercise it. Nowhere does the Bible teach that man's ability to make choices for good was taken away at the fall.
    Very early on capitol punishment was to meted out for murder. Why? Because the attack was not only on man but on God, for man was made in the image of God.
    Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

1 Corinthians 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
    --Speaking of why a woman should cover her head, and why a man should not, Paul says that man is made in the image and glory of God.

It is not just Adam, it is mankind.
    Furthermore, God gives commands all throughout scripture for mankind to exercise his will and come to God Almighty:

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
    He wouldn't command all men everywhere to repent if all men everywhere did not have the ability to repent.

6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I do not think he has ever stated that 'faith has not a role'. But he can better explain himself. Faith is not a work. It is a gift of God in regeneration.

I need to read up on Moehler, it appears.

But they do play a major part in His plan of redemption.

Man, left in his fallen condition, will always reject it. We can read For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.[1 Cor. 1:18a] This is referring to all the lost. Then there is but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.[1 Cor. 1:18b] The lost have no desire for the gospel, have no desire to serve God. They are opposed to Him and His word. We God quickens a sinner, they then can understand what they preacher is saying. His eyes have been opened to see, his ears unplugged to hear, his heart opened/new heart given, to receive it. These words then become alive to him.

With man “this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”[Matt. 19:26] You keep looking at this through man's perspective and not God's. I am not saying we can play God, know His mind, be His counselor, &c., but we can glean from the word and get an idea. Yes, farmers plant seeds and some grow and some do not. Those that do grow, some produce a bounteous crop, some just a little. However, with God, when He plants, it grows. As it says “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots."[Matt. 15:13] So, if we take the reverse of that verse, then we could say "every plant my heavenly father has planted will grow." If God does a work, it will work. If He plants a seed in a sinner's heart, you can guarantee it will produce fruit. As Jesus stated while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.[John 15:2]

Look, people sin and those who sin until they die die in a reprobate state. They had no desire for the Light, would not come to the Light, because all it does is reveal sinners their sins. God chose a multitude of sinners. This multitude of sinners were given to the Lamb to atone for their sins. This is predestination. Those who He chose not, are left in their fallen state. He predestined the elect for heaven, and the rest He left in their fallen state.

Man has no foreknowledge, however, God does. Those He foreknew; not just foreknew they would accept Christ and He saved them,; that is putting the glory on man, in my opinion. Many people raise their children the right way and those children turn out to be heathens. I have heard that Ted Bundy had a wonderful upbringing, and look at how he turned out. But we can see that Seth was When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth.[Gen. 5:3] Mankind has the marred image of God through Adam. Seth was made in the image and likeness of who again? His daddy Adam. Whose image was Adam made in? God's. However, once he sinned, that image became marred. We are the marred image of God through Adam's rebellion.

Yet there are other words used ti describe 'foreknew' such as A.
    of those whom God elected to salvation, to predestinate.
    They were saved because He predestinated them, not predestinated them because He knew they would be saved. You are stating that backwards, mon ami.

I will address the other portion later.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This of course is a lie.
    Salvation is all of God and all of grace.

Faith...saving faith is the gift of God....It is the instrumentality to access the promises of God;

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

SG.....you were correct to question all of DHK'S statements.....reality escapes them.....lol. Al Moehler is a godly respected man of God....do not let DHK bear false witness about him.

DHK said;
    scripture however is clear;
    13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
    14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

#27 Iconoclast, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
  8. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. And it is via faith(which is a gift of God, too) that we are saved. We are saved BY grace via faith. Every bit of this is of God.

Yes.

I do not knowing much, if anything, about this man. I will try to read up on him.

God plants the good plants and Satan the bad ones. As Jesus stated Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared. “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’ “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied. “The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’ “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”

Satan plants the weeds and Christ the wheat. Satan herds the goats, Christ the sheep.

Yes.

Then there is Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked
    or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.
    [Psa. 1:1-3]

9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK,

Would you please address posts #22 and #23? Please? Thanks.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You ever notice that there's no call to evangelize or persuade the tares to become wheat?

11. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way I understand it is we are to call upon all creation, not knowing which is wheat and which is weeds. The wheat will hear God calling. The weeds have no desire. But yes, wheat is wheat and weeds are weeds. One does get transformed from weeds to wheat.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It appears that is where I originally got it from. I also have a file of illustrations on my own computer.
    Do you think that John Berstecher is the author of both those illustrations or just the latter?

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Of course it is. Sola fide. It is by faith as well--something you seem to deny quite often.
    First I don't believe faith is a gift from God. Faith comes from hearing and hearing the Word of God. Thus the Word of God comes before salvation, and even before regeneration. It must. Then logically faith come immediately after hearing the Word. Regeneration and salvation take place simultaneously. But a man can hear the Word of God long before he puts his faith in it. He first puts his faith in it and then he becomes regenerated/saved. It is impossible to have regenerated but yet unsaved people walking around on this earth, which is the scenario you put forth. No, regeneration takes place at the same time as salvation, and both the Word and faith in the Word must precede both.

What is the context here? It is speaking of the heroes of the faith! Not salvation: but rather a walk of faith. Thus the verse has nothing to do with salvation.
    "Godly" men also fall prey to error. We are constantly reminded to examine ourselves.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

RE: Al Moehler
    http://www.newcalvinist.com/christian-rap-music-of-the-new-calvinists/

RE: the New Calvinist Movement in general
    http://www.newcalvinist.com/

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Busted.....good catch SG.

:applause::thumbsup:

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK SAYS,

First I don't believe faith is a gift from God.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:.......this public confession might be the first step to your healing:thumbsup:

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK;

. It is by faith as well--something you seem to deny quite often.

Well if you are not bearing false witness again and you say I do this quite often maybe you could show a couple of examples of it .
    it's not as if you were wrong about Spurgeon, oh wait you were wrong about everything on that other thread .

It is showing that so clearly that it's a wonder you even continue to post... I will deal with the rest of the error contained in these two posts when i can get to a keyboard

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Salvation is by faith. You don't like to think much about faith.
    Here is an example. You might want to read more of the conversation than just this one post:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2239087&postcount=20

You don't deal with error. You repeat your own falsehood, over and over again.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

How many times did Jesus say to those that desired to be healed:
    Thy faith has made you whole. Did Jesus give them faith, or was it their own?
    When the paralyzed man was let down through the roof by four of his friends. By whose faith did Jesus say was this man healed? Jesus or some others'?
    When the Samaritan (one of the ten lepers) returned to give thanks to Christ, why did Jesus say: "Go thy way Thy faith hath made thee whole."
    --In each and every case, was it the faith of Jesus or of the individual?
    Give me one instance where it even infers that God gave them the faith?

Faith is not the gift of God. Every man has faith.
    Jesus said that in order to enter the kingdom of God you must be as little children. Even little children have faith, but it is not given to them by God is it? They came to Christ by faith, but not faith given by God.

You do err not knowing the Scriptures.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are far from the truth of the Word of God which says:"And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men, for not everyone has faith."

You need to drop your anti-biblical stance and humbly accept the Word of God.
    That rightly can be said of DHK.