1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

a Challenge For Some...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You ARE smarter than that.Do you mean to tell me that you don't know the meaning of the majority of even the whittled-down list?

When you say my "list of words" -- do you mean the phrases,sentences and verses from the KJV in my OP?

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

These are supposed to be difficult words? Is this a joke?

abashed = to smash something, as in "Oouch! I just abashed my athumb with ahammer!"
    Abominable = Mr. Snowmonster's first name
    abutted = when someone rudely interrupts your conversation
    Acclaim = an automotive model manufactured by Plymouth from 1989 to 1995
    Adder = a gradeschool child that hasn't yet learned how to do Subtraction
    adhere = often seen on available billboard space, as in: PLACE YOUR ADHERE

:laugh: Sorry, I couldn't resist!

#62 franklinmonroe, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2008
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again,for a point of comparison --the KJV 1769 is several centuries old.Even though Mr.Blayney revised it in the late 18th century --the version was not in current English of that time.

In contrast, the NIV is only a couple decades of age.Naturally the baggage of the KJV's would be considerably heavier.This is no contest.

You're not KJVO --that's great.But even regular KJV readers need a reality check every now and then.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More Groaners

Okay,you want corny?I've got some corn for ya'.

Sears & Roebucks

Aloes to all of you.

It's arrayed!

I got me a gun.Do you wanna' haunt with me?

Whatever ewe say.

5. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet the modern man Sal can figure it all out. Has all the answers. What a guy.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Careful! You're starting to sound like Salamander. I wish I was as quick as you are!

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Hey, didn't you know that the NIV has a 'built in dictionary' just like the KJV does??:rolleyes:

8. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Posts like this one are why I even answered this thread to begin with. I believe your anger with the KJV ONLY people leads you to attack the KJV. The KJV is a VERY GOOD, well understood to those who prefer it, translation of God's Word. There is no need to "mock" it with your posts. I believe it was widely used until the mid-60's and NO ONE was complaining about understanding it back then. With the onslaught of MV's and the KJV Only "movement" the KJV began to be "attacked". Shame on you. I pray you will not find me "attacking" another MV, although I prefer the KJV. It is NOT difficult at all to understand if you are familar with it. No harder than the NIV, which I tried to show with that post. The "phrasing" in the KJV took me about a week to become "familar" with, and I actually find it quite beautiful. The modern "phrasing" of the NIV leaves me cold, frankly, but if that is your prefered version, then God bless you .....read it! But, PLEASE, do not "bash" a version of God's Word just because YOU think it's outdated. :godisgood:

#68 Baptist4life, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  9. franklinmonroe

You may start by removing 5 of the first 10 words you listed, since "abominable" (Leviticus 7:21, Job 15:16, and many others) and "adder" (Genesis 49:17, Psalm 58:4, others) also appear in the text of the KJV. Also "admonishing" and "algum" (my spellcheck software doesn't even recognize "algum"). Perhaps you've read this before (1 John 2:1, KJV) --
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:​

#69 franklinmonroe, Nov 20, 2008
  10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Please, tell me, HOW did I attack the KJV? I was making fun of an obvious foible in KJVO teaching. Attacking foolish and damnable heresies does NOT equal attacking the blessed KJV. It was my Bible of choice for over 30 years and I still think KJV, but my Christian life and walk with God has been enhanced by the reading of various Bible translations as well as by studying (as much as is possible) the Greek and Hebrew.

Anger?? I reserve my anger for those who intentionally mislead and outright LIE to support a man-made teaching that has no scriptural support. And for those who call others "simpletons" and accuse them of not studying just because they read the KJVO at face value and came up with the wrong conclusions.

NIV? Not my choice of versions. I much prefer the ESV or the HCSB. But there are those who love and use the NIV and I will not deny them their freedom just as I will not deny you yours.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To top it off he also thinks "atonement" is a difficult word!

12. franklinmonroe

Of the listed words beginning with the letter 'B' the underlined words above are found in the KJV text (13 of 14); "bereave" appears, but not in the plural form. Actually, "Belial" is a transliterated proper name (in the KJV occurring 17 times, but only once in the NIV).

OK, I confess that I didn't know the definition of "bier". I had to look it up. But, did you know that it occurs twice in the KJV? --
    And David said to Joab, and to all the people that [were] with him, Rend your clothes, and gird you with sackcloth, and mourn before Abner. And king David [himself] followed the bier. (2 Samuel 3:31)

And he came and touched the bier: and they that bare [him] stood still. And he said, Young man, I say unto thee, Arise. (Luke 7:14)​

#72 franklinmonroe, Nov 20, 2008
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any legit criticism of KJV's merit the term "attack" by KJVO folks.Now you claim not to be KJVO yet resort to that kind of language.

You need to know more Church History.Webster's Bible came out in 1833.Mr.Webster mildly updated the 1769 because it was outdated.That was almost 176 years ago.Some of the changes he made were incorporated in the ERV.

Your post contained "difficult words" which also happen to be in the KJV (along with several thousand obsolete words).You are on a lame mission by trying to prove that the KJV's are less difficult to understand than the NIV.That claim of yours just doesn't hold any water.And to mix metaphors :That dog won't hunt.

14. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I took your post in the wrong way, and I apologize and ask your forgiveness.

15. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I don't understand your obsession with all this, I do take offense at your attitude about my posts. I KNOW that some of the same words are in the KJV. That kind of proves my point. If you think the KJV is difficult, I just showed you that the NIV uses some of the same words. I must ask, WHY are so seemingly "angry" with me?

16. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To one and all. This thread seems to have angered some of you. That was not my intention at all, and if what I posted upsets you or causes you to be angry with me, then I apologize. Perhaps, since I'm new to this forum, I need to "learn" the style of some of you. Perhaps some of you should look at the way you post to others, because I COULD, but I won't, become angry at some of your responses to me. Rather I'm hurt by your comments.:1_grouphug:

#76 Baptist4life, Nov 20, 2008
  17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And I forgive you. Thanks for your understanding.

18. franklinmonroe

Where did this list of words originate?

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think part of the anger problem here stems from the fact that many KJVO's are so arrogant and ignorant that we have begun to expect that behavior from anyone who prefers the KJV. It's like we stay in defense mode. But we shouldn't judge everyone based on the bad attitude and behavior of some.
    Baptist4life has not been the typical KJVO in this thread. He/she has never said that the KJV is the only version for English speaking people, he/she has not been arrogant, he/she never claimed that the KJV had a built in dictionary, in fact B4L said that sometimes we have to look up hard words. He/she has apologized for offending anyone, yet no one has apologized to B4L for offending him/her.

B4L has repeatedly said that he/she is KJV preferred and has no problem with those who prefer other versions, yet has been lumped in with the KJVO wackos. He/she has brought up some valid points and was only in this thread to begin with because of a challenge to interpret difficult passages, which he/she did rather well.
    There are difficulties in every translation, and I think that's all B4L was trying to point out.

But that's my opinion and not worth a whole lot. I love you all. :1_grouphug:

20. franklinmonroe

For the record, I am not angry or upset.

I simply responded to your accusation that Rippon had been unfair, which I have concluded to be unfounded. I also challenged your list of 'difficult NIV words', which I have now proven to be grossly overstated since many of the words are also in the KJV text. It is not my intention to hurt feelings, but if my responses affected you in that way perhaps you should not participate in a debate forum.

I would commend Baptist4life for: having the courage to answer the quiz in the first place; second, for being civil in his posts; and third, for offering this humble apology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.