1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A chance to explain: Inter-racial marriage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rbell, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Translation: I'd rather be argumentative than examine my views in the light of Scripture. I'd rather "make a statement" than be Christlike.

Why are you pontificating about "tolerance" and "individuality?" I asked about Scripture. Shouldn't the Word of GOd trump your "freedom" to make a social/political statement?

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

For most folks---the issue of interracial marriage is not an issue until it becomes an issue----IOW---let it happen to someone close to you(son/daughter) and see which one takes over--flesh or spirit!! Beware when you rise up---because Jesus said "The flesh is weak"---we say we will obey scripture but I guarantee you----when it happens(interracial marriage in your PERSONAL family---it doesn't matter what color you are and what color your future son-in-law is---black, white, red, yellow)--the god of this age will blind you to what scripture truth teaches!!!

#22 blackbird, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I'm sorry to disappoint you my friend, but this is exactly the response I expected to get from you guys. Thanks for not letting me down and confirming my instincts on this. :love2:

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Cutter, that's a cute little ghost on your picture. Which makes me wonder...are the ghosts of different race people the same color as the person was? :laugh: I'm curious enough now to start looking up ghost pictures and see if they're tinted different shades and have different features.

Anyhoo...I grew up and lived without racial boundaries. If anyone was to hear some of the jokes we make, they'd probably shoot us on the spot for being racist...even the older girls and I tease each other on the race thing. (I'll tell them they're all white or that they're Jewasianmexicalieuropans and they'll tell me I'm soooo not Chinese or that I'm sooo white)

At this rate of mix-up, it would be hard to tell if we are marrying outside our race or not. What do we do Cutter? Try to figure out which race is more dominant? Pick the majority given by the father, or by the mother? Does the race of an adoptive parent count? Just how does it work if you're not a pure-bred race? Are there different versions of white, or is that something based only on skin color? Is a Chinese person a different race from Indonesian? How do I know who is what if they come to date my daughters? And my daughters have been mistaken for pure-bred Eskimos, Indians, or Mexicans, but are only a tad of one of the above.

Help us!

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

And thank you for not being willing to discuss the issue, except to make snide comments toward a poster in an inappropriate venue for it.

Thank you as well for not being man enough to apologize for your inappropriate comments to Trotter earlier.

Furthermore, thank you for placing your personal opinion above that of Scripture.

Thank you for attending another church other than mine. Fortunately, bigotry is dying out in most churches in our area. It's nice not having to deal with very much of it. Fortunately, We don't have a single person in leadership at our church with your views.

And finally, thank you for your condescending attitude. It confirms my suspicions.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right, Blackbird. People can sit around and discuss their view on things like interracial marriages, divorce, unplanned pregnancies, and all the rest. But until it hits home, discussion can be productive, but moot.

However, with that being said - a Christian MUST begin with a Biblical worldview on all of these issues and more - whether or not they have happened to them or their family.

Cutter's "opinion" was not a Biblical opinion.

The Bible does not speak of interracial marriages as being a negative thing.

In fact, Moses married a black woman after his wife died. Miriam and Aaron didn't like it and spoke out against it. And you know what happened to them.

"And Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married; for he had married an Ethiopian woman" (Num. 12.1).

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

But why did they speak out - because of her race or the fact she was a foreigner - ie not of the Children of Israel.

8. Cutter

Cutter New Member

You're welcome. :saint:

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This thread hasn't accomplished what it set out to do. Have an explination why Cutter is against interracial marriage. I'd like to hear the explanation. Both he and stephen just state they agree with it.
    I've heard these explanations over my lifetime (much of it was while I lived in TN):

1) well, in this society makes it difficult for interacial marriages.
    2) God split up the nations according to tribe and doesn't want intermixing
    3)The Anti-Christ will unite the Kingdoms as antithesis to the tower of Bable incident.
    4) White man was made by God Adam being the first all other men evolved from ape like creatures and they shouldn't mix
    5)minority people have been shown to be less intelligent that the Majority European decent peoples. They already begining to out number white people if they vote themselves in they will legislate agianst whites and destroy this country.
    6) economic factors.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is a wonderful young man at church who is a year younger than my second daughter... and black. He has been supporting her through a bad break-up and I could absolutely see them dating someday and it would not bother me in the least. It might upset my father (think Archie Bunker), and it might upset some friends of mine but that doesn't matter. What matters is that he has a heart for the Lord, is looking to be able to make a good living and is respectful to all of those around him. I love this boy and if he were to ever be my SIL, I'd be proud of that.

For ANYONE to be so bigoted in this day and age is surprising. To see a man who claims to be saved by God's grace? It's unimaginable.

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could be either one. One might also argue that her race and her being a foreigner was the same thing.

The point is, Miriam and Aaron didn't like it - a foreign woman being married to their brother and God struck Miriam with leprosy.

She claimed to be prophecying about this mixed marriage and God said, "When I am ready for you to prophecy, I will let you know."

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't quite agree with # 2-5, but # 1 is definitely true. Now, should what society thinks, in a perfect world, make a difference, but we do not live in a perfect world.
    A marriage is hard enough, and any major distraction can and many times becomes a major problem.

I have started a new thread about this, I encourage you to vote in the poll

Salty

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

There is no Scripture for the church to deny inter-racial marriage. If there is any restriction as to whom a believer may marry, it might be found in 1 Cor 7:39 where Paul instructs the one who is free to marry "only in the Lord."

By the way, my wife is Chinese.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

And with that...you've illustrated an important point.

Most people that oppose inter-racial marriages are really only opposed to black & white ones. They don't have a problem with hispanic, asian, semitic, etc...

I have no problem telling a couple of different races (or even cultures, for that matter) in pre-marital counseling, "Look...you are aware that these issues could come up..." But those issues can be worked through.

Scritpure in no way prohibits inter-racial marriage. The scriptures often used by folks to justify their position fall on two accounts:

1. They were Spiritual prohibitions, not racial ones;
    2. Often times, the race of the "forbidden" was the same as that of the Jew--Semitic.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

"Cutter"- quite an apt moniker judging by his replies to numerous threads.

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will play the devil's advocate. Since we're not hearing anything to whom the question is posed. Let me start by saying. I do not believe in segregation and seperating people by race. However my time while I lived in Tennessee I heard everything from the Civil Rights movement was a bane on the Country. God supported Slavery and it was wrong for the North to interfere especially since they had their own slaves. Slaves were actually happier as slaves because they were taken care of. We see the decendents of the slaves living is poor neighborhoods and doing drugs. Crime rates are up all because the African was allowed to be set free rather than remain slaves. You think I'm kidding. I am not people have told me these things with conviction. Here is how they support their possition using scriptures. Here from the begining
    Then
    Even Jesus is shown supporting this notion
    So there you have it. Scriptural support for this belief.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

First, Thinkingstuff...even though you're doing the devil's advocate thing, no sane person would make those arguments, unless their heart was clouded by bigotry.

Second...to make the Scriptural argument requires a mis-application of Scripture. The prohibition was not racial--it was Spiritual. In addition...the people's mentioned were not of a different race than the Hebrews...they were all Semitic people.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh I agree with you. I'm just saying that there are those who apply scripture this way. And they are not joking and they don't see how their are problems with their point of view. Yet this is how they eisegese scripture. Which brings a whole other group of questions to ask. But whether you think its sane or not do not be misled. The people who believe those verses are for seperation of peoples are educated and well thought of in their communities. And they will say that you've taken scriture out of context to apply your meaning to it and the scary thing is that there is no higher authority with which to settle the debate. You both have equal standing to interpret scripture any way you see fit. So they interpet it in such a way as the African is the decendent of Ham and therefore needs to remian in slavery.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

You're right...it's scary to think that people can be this ignorant...and work that hard to justify their attitudes toward someone with different pigmentation...

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

There's a LOT of ignorant people out there who know what THEY WANT TO out of the Bible- and not only on this particular subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.