1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Christian family!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by bruren777, Jul 18, 2005.

1. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I know of a Christian family, but I'm concerned. When ever we have been to their house they are angry. Sometimes the anger is among them, at times it's someone else or us. Frankly we don't want to spend too much time with them.
    However as Christians we are to pray for them and we do, we just don't like to be around them. They turn a nice time into anything but. Other than the praying we do for them does anyone have any suggestions ?
    :confused: :rolleyes:

Thank you !

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

They sound miserable. :( Have you tried talking to them about it? I really don't understand how Christian's can be so unhappy, doesn't everyone have that joy in their heart? :confused: You would think people are served lemons at some churches to chew on.

What about doing a bible study with them on all of Gal. 5, about walking by the Spirit? Like in verse... 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Maybe a study on anger too. If all that doesn't work then I personaly wouldn't keep going over there. Why keep subjecting yourself to misery?

3. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I think in a very tactful way you should let them know that you guys are going to part ways for awhile. If he or she gets upset and blows their stack at you well then you will know for certain it was the right move. You can part ways with them and during that time pray for them still.
    OTOH, If you confront them they might take it in stride. As a couple they may be dying to have some people to really talk to. Then you have gained an opportunity to minister to them.
    I think no matter how it goes down it will be a positive thing because it will confront THEM with THEIR problem.
    Either way confrontation is the way to go IMHO.
    Just speak gracefully.

4. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Also, if your really serious take a week or two and just devote a specific time each day to pray about what to do. I know from past experiences that God has allowed me a way to express things to folk in sort of natural coming about.
    When God opens a door He flings it wide. You don't have to push hard to open it.

5. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

6. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I have mentioned this to them, they don't see a problem. They will turn it back on us by saying what would you do ?. We have this or that going on. Don't talk to us.
    He does devotions everyday and she teachs Sunday school to children. I suspect satan is involved in this, he likes discord. satan wants to divide,
    he is the father of lies, he robs people of joy, but they need to realize where this coming from. I ask for prayers for all of them that they will open their eyes. I mentioned to them we've been attacked by the evil one, particularly when we taught youth Sunday school. When satan attacked we told him in the name of the Lord to leave us. They don't see it, thank all of yopu and God Bless.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

Why not suggest they get some professional counseling concerning how to control their anger? Perhaps the church could help cover the costs.

8. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Sounds like complete and utter frustration, as well as heavily burdened hearts.

Lift their weight for a short time. Ignore their nastiness and when things are not so bad for a little while, perhaps they will unharden (is that even a word?) their heart.

9. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

Yeah, they sound very frustrated and burdened.

Bruren777, didn't that serial killer that was recently caught teach Sunday School?

I'm certainly not saying the people you're speaking about are serial killers. My point is just because someone has devotions every day and teaches Sunday School, doesn't mean they are model Christians. They may be doing these things out of feeling of obligation, which could lead to bitter feelings. For instance, if they're doing everything they think they're supposed to do in their Christian lives (assuming they're Christians...never assume anyone is)...and they see people they "look up to" who don't do quite as much, eventually they may turn very bitter at the Christian world and those around them. I know this from experience because I was there once (in some instances, I'm not sure I'm quite over it LOL!). Seriously, there was a time I did everything in the church, the pastor STILL complained about not enough workers, never thanked those who DID work (and no, I shouldn've been looking for praise, but I did fell into that trap, which contributed to my bitterness)...AND those whom I looked up to quit their jobs or church and I turned bitter. The last staw, I think, was when my father...a IF baptist all my life...started going to a Lutheran church....AND my sister's husband (who is supposedly a pastor) hits (not spanks) his kids and my sister in the name of the Bible. I turned bitter and against Christians.

I think they need a lot of prayer, patience and consistant friendship regardless of their attitude. Just be careful not to get sucked up into gossiping and bitterness yourself. They could be testing your friendship to see if you're willing to stay friends regardless of their attitude. This may be their way of weeding out the "fake friends".

That's all I got. Sorry.

I like JDCanady's idea, but I'd like to add that they should see Christian counselors. A secular counselor could lead them down the wrong path...tell them that their problem IS church, etc. and to quit church.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Are they Italian?

Seriously, no one is obliged to be around others who make one feel uncomfortable. You're no exception. Continue to pray for them, but don't put strife upon yourself by getting it from being in their presence.