1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Church on Oahu?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by PrimePower7, Jul 4, 2008.

1. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Hey good folks,
    Listen, My family's been here for about 6 months. We thought we found a church twice. We have never missed a Sunday, and even though the Army has demanded so at times, my Wednesdays missed have been minimal. We are having a very difficult time finding a church.

Do you know of one? Please save my time and yours if you only know of one who:
    1. Uses only hymns
    2. Belittles you unless you homeschool
    3. Has a pastor who screams
    4. Has a pastor who is on perpetual vacation
    5. Has a pastor who's fat.
    6. Has a pastor who doesn't know that God still requires holiness on an island.
    7. Preaches more on the KJV than on the blood of Christ.
    8. Preaches Armenianism.
    9. Has a pastor who's wife hates the ministry.
    10. Has children who are unruly.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Bill

P.S. If you have a sarcastic comment to offer, now would be a great time. I won't answer you-- so enjoy having the last word.

2. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    island church

Bill: in searching for a church you really would reject one on the issue of a fat pastor? :tear:

Brutus

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One, you have a wonderful place to spend your time! We lived in Waianni (sp) many years ago and visited your base a time or two.

Two, there is a church in Ewa that MAY fit your needs. It is Friendship Bible church. Might be worth a try.

Happy hunting! :thumbs:

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ya' might wanna' go by this one, once, if only to say you were there, and take a few pics.

[​IMG]

Seriously, you might wanna' tour BYU- Hawaii, and take in a show at the Polynesian Cultural Center. located nearby, and the above pic is that of the Mormon Temple, Laie, also good for the tour on an off-day.

My late brother, his wife, and my wife and I, were in Hawaii on a short vacation in 2002, and while we did get to visit and take in a show at the Polynesian Culture Center (arraigned by my sister-in-law and my wife), we did not have the time to visit the Temple, only seeing when driving by from the road.

Unfortunately, I do not really have any good advice on good churches, on the island, but would suspect one can find some, with a little bit of looking. I would suspect here are a few hundred churches on Oahu, but do not know that, exactly.

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  5. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I and three children spent 4 years on Oahu, 1970-74, while I defended the U.S. Constitution as an Air Force Noncom. We wound up living on Wheeler Field in govt. housing. We attended a Baptist church called Immanuel, in Wahiawa. I think it is still meets there at 911 Peach St. Ph#808.621.8944. They had no problems with ethnicity and a sweet fellowship. There were a lot of military families in the membership.

Shalom,

Bro. James

#5 Bro. James, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  6. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Hi Brutus,
    I would have serious reservations taking any young Christians to a place where the man preaches against many "besetting sins", and yet jokes about how much he likes food when referring to his rotundness.

Thanks.

7. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Thanks Ed

We did take in the Polynesian Culture Center, and I have considered starting a church in Laie. There is only a mission church, and that is about it on the whole NE corner of the island as far as "Bible-preaching" types are concerned.

1/24 of the population here is Mormon. I was on Kauai for sometime, and found them to be as Mormon as Wisconsinites (where I was raised) are Lutheran.

Thanks

8. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son is currently stationed there at Schofield Barracks. I have a friend from college who pastors on the island. I haven't seen him since college so I can't give you a blanket endorsement. His church is named Winward Baptist Church. This is the church that I've recommended my son to try first. He is waiting for his wife and daughter to join him there in Hawaii.

http://www.windwardbaptist.org/

9. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was stationed at Hickam AFB from 2001-2005 and attended Ohana Baptist Church. It consists of about 75% military from all the branches and is currently located near the Airport off Nimitz Highway and Puuloa Road next to the Wendys and the big motorcycle shop there.

However, their lease is soon to be up and are still currently seeking a building location after being there for about 10 years. As you know land over there is not cheap and we were paying $10K a month just to lease and now it is even more. It was an awesome church and I still keep in contact with them today. Pastor Wayne Surface is the pastor and their website is:

http://www.obchurch.org

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

John

10. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    island church

Bill: ok, I see your point. Not looking for an arguement but, are there not also medical reason for some weight problems?

:thumbs:Brutus

11. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Brutus

Sure, Brutus,
    But I would say that those rare cases are up there with "abortion cases involving rape victims".

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I agree, but that is a different thing to saying that you would not want a pastor who is fat. There are some thin people who are greedy, and some fat people who are not.

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Just remember, when you point the finger at someone's girth you have three more point right back at you.

Here's the primary, determining factor, in your decision. Where does the Lord want you to attend? All other considerations are secondary.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

15. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You know Spurgeon was fat.

16. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Then he obviously could not have been of God!

:rolleyes:

Please!

17. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

That's cute "Sag"

It's easy for me to say, "I don't want to go to church where the pastor is a lard". It's also easy for me to say that most pastors are fat because they show no self-control. I am a statistics student. Would you care to say that less than 5% are fat because they have a thyroid issue? I think you'd agree.:applause:

18. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

19. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Hmmm

Moody was fatter. Spurgeon smoked.

Perhaps God used them inspite of this...not because of it.

20. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Be funny if we get to Heaven and Jesus is fat...