1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Common Mistake In Christian Marriages.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JoReba, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoReba

JoReba New Member

There is indeed the context of marriage within I Timothy Ch. 2 as God uses the marriage of Adam and Eve as the example for all marriages, where the wife, in the position of Eve, is to refrain from usurping any authority over her husband, and is to learn in silence. Eve's problem was that she started talking to The Serpent instead of remaining in silence. Eve thought she "knew what was best for her husband." Remember?

When wives think they "know what is best for their husband" they are indeed twisting Scripture. If she "feels" like a doormat, then she needs to remember who she is in Christ. Doing so is far better than anything plain and simple, and is refined and Godly.

2. JoReba

JoReba New Member

Scripture states that Faith comes from God as a gift, and does not state that Faith comes by way of a human father's ability to mimic Godliness. To think a father's misconduct can do "long-term damage" to his son's view of God is false. That is not taught in Scripture.

Praise Jesus for the practicality of His Written Word and its surety for us as we accept God's provisions for us rather than listening to anything from popularized Church culture.

If Priscilla taught Apollos anything she was disobeying God's Word through Apostle Paul's instructions regarding women and wives not teaching men.

3. JoReba

JoReba New Member

Do you disagree with Apostle Paul as he wrote The Word of God?

There is no Scripture which speaks of a Godly husband "going to his wife with a problem in [his] soul and asking her for her advice," and than having her "hold you accountable." As well, no Scripture shows a Godly husband's wife "giving him counsel with an issue at work or with a friend."

Abraham's wife presumed to do that, and the bastard Ishmael was conceived, causing the huge problems today we have with the Muslims. Thanks to her. Lol.

4. JoReba

JoReba New Member

What is more important:

1.) Great human insights?

2.) Or, God's direct commands from Scripture?

Answer ... ?

5. JoReba

JoReba New Member

Did God design what Apostle Paul wrote in I Timothy Ch. 2? Are you ready to tell God you have a better idea than His for your marriage?

Lol. Praise God for the accountability we all will have to Him for His Written Word.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

There is also no scripture which commands it to use the toilet. Man, what a predicament you are in.:laugh:

7. JoReba

JoReba New Member

And, she is to learn in silence.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    JoReba, I'm afraid you've stumbled into the wrong forum. This is BAPTIST board. Men who treat their wives the way you describe are called Muslims. :laugh:

9. JoReba

JoReba New Member

Perhaps you should get out more often.

10. JoReba

JoReba New Member

How have you given yourself for your wife the same way Christ gave Himself for the Church?

Remember, Matthew 5:16 KJV says, "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and praise your father which is in heaven." Is your self sacrifice to your wife a good work as it emulates Christ's sacrifice for The church? If so, Matthew 5:16 KJV directs you to let us know about it.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JoReba,

Welcome aboard.

Your profile says you are "a fun loving girl" yet in this post you say that a woman "is not to attempt to usurp the authority of a man" and "is to learn in silence" and "is not to teach a man".

Are you not going against your own pronouncements by attempting to teach us men the scriptural "common mistake" which perchance some of us are making?

Or is it only your husband (should you have one) that you are forbidden to teach?

There are many pastors and deacons and men of church leadership here on the BB, are you attempting to teach them?

Or since you have claimed to be "a fun loving girl" are you just funnin' with us? :)

HankD

#31 HankD, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

WOW! Just wow!

1. Are you saying my parenting has absolutely no effect on my son's spiritual life? Why did God give us Deuteronomy 6 and tell us to teach and train our children about God? Why does Proverbs say to "train up a child in the way he should go?" Eph. says "Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord."

-Are you saying Wives cannot obey Galatians 6:1? If they are spiritual, and the husband is caught in a sin, is it not her responsibility to work toward his correction and restoration?

2. Acts 18:24 Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, icompetent in the Scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in spirit,7 he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only lthe baptism of John.
    26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him nthe way of God more accurately.

-There is NO indication in these verses that Priscilla did anything wrong here. There IS a Biblical record of her and her husband teaching Apollos, and that apollos ministry was fruitful after this teaching.

13. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm. The trolls are hungry lately. I think they like to feed on barefoot, pregnant, SILENT women. :laugh:

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Sinned enter the world through Adam, not Eve. Abraham is to blame for Ishmael. He made the choice, not Sarai.

Were Abigail and David wrong in 1 Sam 25?
    Was Esther wrong?
    What about Deborah?
    Were the spies wrong for letting Rahab help them?

Paul did not mean that women were supposed to shut up and sit in the corner. He was calling on women to help maintain good order and discipline in the church.

15. JoReba

JoReba New Member

So then, you do agree with God "we see" that women are to voluntarily learn in silence. Very good.

Where you found this "doormat" issue is a mystery to me. It sounds more like a straw man.

Praise God for the surety and specificity of His Plan and instructions for a woman and a wife.

16. JoReba

JoReba New Member

I think we should see and can see that it is God's point He is trying to bring across in His Word. I did not write the Word of God.

17. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

oops

My kids would probably say that someone just got "owned".

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Are you unwilling to deal my post honestly? You know that is not what I said.

Are you willing to follow your own advice and be silent and let me, a man and pastor, teach you?

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Is she of YOUR CHURCH and us she YOUR WIFE?

Otherwise, I would suggest that you have no jurisdiction whatsoever in the matter.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW Jo,

Don't let my post stop you from making your points.

Women are welcome here at the BB to make comments, give advice, etc, etc. But no doubt you knew that before you made your post.

Another BTW, a few years ago we had a similar debate and I sided with your interpretation as the "devil's advocate" (no reflection on you as you wern't here yet).

According to the scripture (1 Corinthians 14:34-35) a woman is supposed to be silent in the church with no distinction as to whom and with no apparent exceptions.

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
    35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.​

So, a woman therefore would not even be allowed to teach children, other woman, sing aloud, pray aloud, give testimony, etc...​

Do you agree?​

You also mentioned Adam and Eve as a model.​

What therefore do you think of the Old Testament prophetesses Deborah and Hulda who spoke in the name of the Lord to a large contigency of Israeli men?​

Thanks
    HankD​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.