1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Common Mistake In Christian Marriages.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JoReba, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I agree. I don't know a single Baptist that would treat the name of our Savior in such a flippant manner. The quote sounds like she's mocking Ann, a sister in Christ, and the God we serve. "Offensive" is right!

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I’m sensing butch ideology rooted in sarcasm and possibly attributed to an inferiority complex that seeks justification. Could be something else, but just sayin…

:laugh:

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I did not say that nobody in the UK (you did notice that I am in the UK, I hope?) believes or teaches that one of the roles of a Christian wife is “to serve her husband as an ethical and moral reference point during selected times when the husband might be ‘Just a little off of center’ in his thinking and decision making as a Spiritual leader of the family and in The Church,” to use your words. I obviously don't know every Christian, or even every preacher, in my country, but I think that if such teaching had been widespread here, I would have come across it, either directly, or by reading/hearing the words of somebody against it.

As far as Mothering Sunday is concerned, in those churches that keep to a "liturgical calendar", and consider that day special, the preaching is far more likely to be on motherhood, rather than husband-wife relationships. To show what I mean, this link takes you (I hope!) to the results of a Google search, limited to pages from the UK, for "Mothering Sunday" sermons. (I must stress that I am not expressing any agreement or disagreement with the content of the various sermons that link leads to, just saying that they do not seem to reflect your notion of the wife as "an ethical and moral reference point during selected times" to her husband.)

Finally, by "get out more", are you suggesting that I should forsake my own church sometimes with the express purpose of discovering false doctrines? If so, that sounds strange to me.

#103 David Lamb, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong!

Judges 4:4 And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

She was both a prophet and a judge and as such she passed judgments and they had to be obeyed as a leader apointed by God among the Israelites.​

Also you said
    "She merely vocalized what God told her to say" and how is that any different than what a preacher does today?​

The only thing is that what the preacher says does not become scripture.​

Jo, I have to join others in what they say. I'll say it in a slighty differnt way:

You talk the talk of submission but you do not walk the walk.

HankD​

5. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I was going to comment...erased it all and decided it's better to leave sleeping dogs lie :sleeping_2: ....I'm forever amazed at what some people believe <sigh>

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Feminist liberation theology by any other name smells the same...

7. Ternera

Ternera New Member

Hi JoReba,
    It is sad that you understand that the Scripture commanded husbands to abuse their wives and wives to put up with that. I really can't figure out if this is what you really think or you are just trolling people here.
    In a Christian marriage, a husband is supposed to model Christ and a wife to model the Church. Thus husbands must LOVE their wives as Christ LOVED His Church. That means loving them with all their hearts. Yes, the wives are supposed to submit to the husbands. But please remember, although the Christian family is a model of the relationship between Christ and the Church, the members of the Christian family are sinful people, who - both men and women - tend to make mistakes. If a husband makes a mistake, it is his wife's responsibility to point it out and to help to correct it. And the man who loves his wife will accept it thankfully. If a man has a wrong understanding of the Scripture, he puts himself and his family in danger, so his wife, as a helper, should not just learn this wrong understanding in silence.
    Talking about the biggest mistakes in Christian marriages... I think this is when the husbands forget that they should love their wives but remember that the wives should submit to them. Then instead of a loving family we have an abusive relationship, where the man just excersises power turning his wife into a slave.

8. JoReba

JoReba New Member

You have more time than Jesus had. You have lots of time. Lol.

"Case closed?" Have you been appointed and empowered to "close" issues in Scripture? Guess what ... ? I have reopened the "case." Lol. I enjoy people like you. It is fun to watch you try to "take charge" with your bossy words.

Return to the original post of this thread. Is it a common mistake for Christian husbands to allow their wives to supposedly be an ethical and spiritual reference point to help keep Hubby "on track" in his spiritual leadership? Is that allowed by Scripture, or are such husbands merely whipped into compliance by their wives in order to think such a thing? What is most laughable is for those husbands to speak of it in church as if it is something God wants.

9. JoReba

JoReba New Member

You are getting all worked up over something imaginary. Return to the original post of this thread. Thanks.

Praise God for His Power to help Godly Men focus on singular issues of Righteousness rather than having their minds drift over inconsequential topics of Pop Christianity, such as being highly sensitive to the minor feelings of their wives. Hallelujah.

There is no teaching in Scripture that Christian wives are to be any sort of reference point or back up system for leadership problems in their husbands.

10. JoReba

JoReba New Member

I am still married to my first spouse of many years.

Try to calm down, and focus on the topic of this thread. Squelch your inane little ad hominem remarks, or I will report you to the Mods. Or, at least make your ad hominem remarks worth listening to. Lol.

Are you upset with this kind of advice? You should not be. James 3:17 says, "Love is easily entreated." Do you like to argue about how other people make you feel ... ?

Lol.

11. JoReba

JoReba New Member

Jesus trolled. Read Luke 4:19-30, Matthew Ch. 23, and the story about The Syrophoenician Greek Woman being called a "dog" by Jesus.

Lol.

12. JoReba

JoReba New Member

I say your wife has you wonderfully trained. She must understand you very well.

13. JoReba

JoReba New Member

Yes, Thank You for sharing how you think. Perhaps it would be best for you to stay within the comfort and support of your Church group. It is a dangerous World out there ...

Safety first.

14. JoReba

JoReba New Member

Go ahead and specify the issues about which I am not submissive. Please go ahead and use your imagination to do so. Okay?

Thanks for your leadership in this matter.

15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Nothing to do with staying "within the comfort and support of (my) Church group." I just don't think it would be right, instead of worshipping with the church of which I am a member, to go deliberately in search of the false and unbiblical teaching that one of the roles of a Christian wife is “to serve her husband as an ethical and moral reference point during selected times when the husband might be ‘Just a little off of center’ in his thinking and decision making as a Spiritual leader of the family and in The Church.”

If I did do so, it would be easy to find some who teach other false doctrines, such as, "It doesn't matter what you believe as long as you are sincere," or "All religions worship the same God," or "Jesus was a good man, nothing more." But the likelihood of me finding the particular false teaching you mentioned about the role of the Christian wife would be slim here in the UK, as I attempted to point out in my earlier post.

Have you got some scriptural basis for saying that it is right for Christians to forsake services of their own church in order to go on a hunt for false teaching?

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look closely at your attitude and sarcasm towards men.
    Use your latest post as a model.

HankD

17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:applause::applause::applause:

18. mandym

mandym New Member

If you keep feeding it, it will stick around.

19. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

This thread reinforces my belief that every circus has a clown.

20. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

The first reply to this thread should've been "if women are to do as you say, you should not be posting in this thread"

And that should've been the end of this thread. Seeing as trolling has been brought up, it's funny that it's endured.

While the verses indicated do state a womans role, they do not state the step further that our originator is trying to push.

I can't seem to locate a verse in the Bible where it says a man should not go to his wife. It's possible I'm missing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.