1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A different Gospel? or not?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by rjprince, Jan 4, 2005.

1. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I agree with Trialblazer and OldRegulare about the gospel.

Jesus Christ preached the gospel same as Apostle Paul preached.

I am sure, that some disps saying of that passage that Christ told to his disciples to preach to the house of Israel, not spread to others(Gentiles), shows it is different gospel.

Understand, Christ gave chance to Jews of Israel as nation to repent and salvation while He was on earth for 3 years of ministry. MOst Jews include Pharisees were heart hardened. So, Christ told them, kingdom being take away from them, and give it to other nation(Gentiles).

So, the time comes to arrived when after Christ is glorified after his resurrection, He told to his disciples, go and preach to ALL nations - Matt. 28:19-20; Mark 16:15; Luke 24:47; & Acts 1:8. Gospel is not limited for Jews of Israel, also, it is everyone over all the world since Christ's resurrection, the plan of the salvation never change, remain the same, and will be continue through many tribulations, even include great tribulation till the end of the age come.

I agree with Trialblazer on Luke 17:26-30 & Matt. 24:37.

Christ tells us, flood came and destroyed the world, so, it shall be same at Christ's coming to take all unbelievers away into everlasting punishment.

Matt. 13:28-30, 38-43 tell us, both believers and unbelievers are growing together over the world right now, as the world population is now 6.3 billions and counting... unbelievers shall not be removed from believers TILL when Christ shall come with his angels, then all unbelievers shall be removed from believers, cast them away into fire.

The context of Matthew chapter 13, 24, & 25 say nothing about 'a thousand years'. Christ teaches us, when He shall come again, all unbelievers shall be cast away into fire at once. Very simple and plain.

Also, the salvation of John 3:3 always apply to us all over the world, this is the same gospel, as Christ preached to the Pharisee.

Christ preached the gospel of the kingdom while he was on earth for 3 years, this is the same gospel as Apostle Paul preached.

Also, John 3:16 is the very same gospel for everyone during pre-calvary & post-calvary period, nothing change of the plan of salvation.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

rj

Please read what I said. The Gospel according to Mark begins with the statement: The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;.

Later Mark tells us in verse 1:14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God.

In the Book of Acts we are told in chapter 28:

30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,
    31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

There is only one Kingdom of God. I realize that the dispensationalists preach that Jesus Christ came to preach a gospel of an earthly Messianic kingdom but they are preaching a false gospel. As Paul stated in Galatians there is only one Gospel. There is not a gospel of an earthly Messianic kingdom and a Gospel of the Kingdom of God. I repeat, the Apostle Paul tells us in Romans that the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Messiah, is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Given this truth, how can there be two Gospels? There is only one Gospel, that Gospel was preached by Jesus Christ and all the Apostles including Paul. In fact Paul tells us that same Gospel was preached to Abraham [Galatians 3:8].

3. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

All,

I guess that ultimately this question is a dispensational vss covenant theology issue. If Jesus preached a literal kingdom at the beginning of His ministry, that was different from what Paul preached and even from He himself said to Pilate. On the basis of the many OT prophecies of a literal kingdom, I hold to the position that Jesus shifted His ministry after the rejection by the leaders in Matt 12.

God's grace has always been good news, and therefore gospel. Yet the content and focus of that good news has shifted through the ages under the various covenants (berith). After His rejection, Jesus focused on a spiritual kingdom, but that did not annul the OT promises of a literal theocratic kingdom for Israel, IMO. Obviously the CTs disagree.

Did not expect to win any battles with this post, but the fencing has been interesting and I hope we have all sharpened our skills a bit.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ did not preach a literal kingdom at the beginning of His ministry. In fact the Jews expected a Messiah who would throw off the yoke of Rome and restore Israel to the Davidic state. When it became apparent that Jesus Christ came to establish a spiritual kingdom the Jews rejected Him, consistent with the prophecy of Isaiah 6:9, 10. Jesus Christ confirmed this prophecy in Matthew 13:13-15, the Apostle Paul confirmed this prophecy in Acts 28:25-27. :D

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Had Jesus come to be an earthly King and set up His earthly Kingdom He had the chance:

John 6:14After the people saw the miraculous sign that Jesus did, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.” 15Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.

He withdrew because that was not His purpose.

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me one of the major problems that has to be resolved between dispensationalism and covenantism is whether or not God has two peoples; a Heavenly people called the Church and an earthly people called the Israel; or just one single united people redeemed by Christ throughout all the ages? Very fundamental question, don't you think?

rd

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may be showing my presuppositions here, but I read a paper many years ago that I have never gotten over. It was in the scholarly journal for Criswell College that has since became defunct. (Although they may be starting it back up).

The gist of the article was this: covenant theology looks at Christ's death, burial, and resurrection as the be-all and end-all to God's work and plan. I.E., Redemption was the main and only think God was doing. Secondly, the dispensationalism looks at Christ' work as a "ticket" or "door" allowing them to get into the Kingdom. It is just a necessity. Everything else, including the Atonement, is secondary to the Kingdom.

I was reared under the Bob Jones version of dispensationalism with all the charts and stuff. I came into the soteriologic Calvinism as an adult and had always been a "frustrated dispensationalist" trying to justify the two systems until I read the above article. Now, it has become a bit more clear to me. I do not have all the answers, but then againg neither does anyone else. I have even began to look at Hank Hanagraf's Preterist's teachings. Don't call me a heretic, but at least open your mind to some new information. I dare not use the word "truth" else I will be burned at the "stake of eschatology!"

8. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Rhet,

Who was the author and what was the title of the article. I have most of CTJ on disk, would like to read it.

Yes, I fully agree that the Church/Israel question is key to ones position on many other theological issues.

Re Chafer Theological Journal, have you read Arnold Fruchtenbaum's seriies on developing a "Theology of Israel"?

PS. Please pray for my son, http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/26/1965.html?

9. Repent_and_Believe

Repent_and_Believe New Member

Just wanted to let you all know that I am reading this thread with interest.

I havent posted here for some time. I am not a Dispensationalist but am taking a class in the subject.

I know some good verses that refute the extreme teachings on the subject but must admit that if you read Stam's book online that he definitely states that he is not for salvation by works.

If you havent read his book online yet see it at:

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

You cant judge all fruit by one piece. I know many folks that DIVIDE over this and its silly.

I have seen folks divide over whether the Church goes through the Trib and so on. This is not historical at all to divide on these issues.

I find that after being saved for 25 years that the most simple things are being forgotten and we are immersing ourselves in a fight that shouldnt happen.

If we honestly believe in a local church concept we shouldnt be as quick to name names and points fingers as we are to help our own members get by in life.

Keep this in mind as you debate the topic.

Pastors and teachers are admonished to point out false teachers - each of us should be open to truth. This includes folks like me that dont believe in Dispensationalism in total or those that are Dispensationalists and wont hear what is being said by folks like myself on the Post Trib/Pre Wrath Rapture.

Rather than say what one preacher did at a conference "I threw that book on the Post Trib into the trash barrel. Amen?" (and not many folks amened him glory to God) ... we aught to at least KNOW the position.

Stam's book showed me that we as Post Trib believers cannot lower the boom on all Dispnesationalists saying that they teach a works salvation. I found his approach interesting. Not that I believe the position but hey, how will anyone want to listen to me if I am not at least willing to read their works on the subject.

Just as I am a KJV believer I will at least read works that describe the efforts of those that honestly put out versions of the Bible like the NASB and so on and understand that many men did it with a good intent at first.

Bob Jones Sr. and others later repented of being involved in translating one of the versions. But that is not the point. Its that good men can have good intentions but end up with the wrong doctrine. Thus I dont judge motives. I judge the final fruit. But if I dont read about the doctrine and just take Dr. so and so's word for it how can I convince anyone else that it is not right?

10. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Repent and Believe,

If you are looking at dispensationalism, I would suggest Ryrie. Stam is off to the extreme of hyper D. His is very much a minority position. Ryrie is much more mid-stream. Get the revised one that deals directly with CT and with Progressive D. Also suggest that ALL read his appeal for unity at the end of the revised work.

11. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

12. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member