1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A different ? on Baptistm

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an individual in our church who has not been baptized because they are petrified of going under under the water.

Has anyone ever had that situation before, if so how did you handel it?

Salty

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I've never ran into that particular fear. But I would probably make a recommendation for pouring.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

We had a woman in our church just months ago get baptized (walking down into a baptistry) who has a clinical phobia of large amounts of water (like bath tubs, pools, ext). Hers stimmed (I think) from nearly drowning a couple of different times as a child if I remember her correctly.

She had to come to a point where she needed to trust God to keep her safe if she was going to be obedient. It was a faith issue that had to be worked out in her own heart. God gave her the strength, passion, and determination to do it. It took her a bit to get into the water, and then a bit more to get poise herself. But she actually went under the water and back up again. And she praised God :praying: Her fear is still there but that fear was arrested in the Truth and Love of and for her Saviour.

I always Go back to the scripture "we are not given a spirit of fear but of love, of supernatural power, and of a sound/discipled mind". It must be a work of Faith that she has come to.

BTW- This particular lady had been saved a year and a half almost 2 before she considered it due to her fear. But the more she drew closer to God in fellowship the more he convicted her till all she could do was basically say "God I beleive, but help my unbelief". And He did!

#3 Allan, Aug 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2007
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Amen! Praise God! This is a great testimony.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How would pouring be a good substite for immersion? Wouldn't the portrait be incomplete?

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to be merciful. I treated it in judgment the same way I would treat someone physically unable to be immersed.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I would too. "Merciful" is the key word.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Allan, I had exactly the same thing happen. I had just witnessed to a lost friend, who had repented and confessed Christ as Lord. As I was instructing him about obedience in baptism, his wife spoke up. "I've never been baptized because I have a deathly fear of putting my head under water." And she was a preacher's daughter.

My answer: "Sorry, can't help you. This is between you and God. If you ever get up the courage, it'll have to come from Him." Three days later, on Sunday morning, she and her husband both walked the aisle, he to tell of his salvation and she to ask for baptism. They were baptized together the following Sunday. Whew! What a blessing to see God take away the husband's sins and take away her fear of baptism!

9. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mother has the same problem. She eventually allowed herself to go under the water, though.

Personally, I think God would understand if someone had a phobia about water. It's not like they were avoiding a public proclamation.

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Pour...........................................