1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A dilemma

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Randy119, Nov 30, 2009.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Randy, I really think that you know what the right answer is. I think you know the scripture. I think you know what you are supposed to do and not supposed to do. You know what the truth is. You are growing up and you must choose. Mom and dad can no longer speak for you. Will you go God's way or Randy's way? That's the bottom line. I hope you will choose God's way.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Randy, as a Baptist you believe you are saved grace through faith alone.

Ephesians 2:8-9
    (8) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    (9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.

As a Catholic you would be told that you had to be baptized in “Holy Water” made that way by the power of a man/priest, make confessions to a man/priest and be forgiven by his authority, and go to Purgatory until your sins are paid for. None of that is Biblical.

The Bible says Jesus paid the price for you in full. In a nut shell, that is the big difference than having to count on a Catholic priest to pave your way. It is very important that you understand and believe in what Jesus did for you and what it involves as the “object of your faith” should only be in Him.

If she is devout Catholic, as far as I know you will have to take classes and be counseled before you will even be allowed to marry. From my experience, most people I meet that claim to be Catholic don’t know much about the Bible. When I tell them about being saved by grace alone through faith alone they are quite agreeable with what the Bible actually teaches about this and often admit to going to the Catholic church because of tradition and family pressure rather than because of what they believe. Could this be the case here?

3. Randy119

Randy119 New Member

OK, so none of the Pope, and Bishop, and priest confession thing is anywhere in the Bible, meaning half of the Catholic difference between Baptists and Catholics is made up, Shes not that devout its all just how she was raised all she knows, and now that i know a little more about the religion i think i know what to do, Thank you all for your help.

Quick add on, The Catholic Bible and the Baptist Bible are all in all the same texts right?

#23 Randy119, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
  4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another thing about the Baptist is they believe in the Bible as the sole authority.

1 Timothy 2:3-6
    (3) For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior;
    (4) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    (5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
    (6) Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Get in the Word and stay there would be some good advice.

#24 Benjamin, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
  5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Short answer- no. I could go longer but there's more important details to be discussed than that. The brothers have done a good job in the previous posts so I don't need to belabor what they have already said.

I will be praying for you to do the right thing.

God bless.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some extra books in the Catholic Bible I believe all in the Old Testament, but the New Testament should be basically the same text. I have not read them or know much about them, but can tell you that the Bible does not contradict itself and what is revealed in the NT is about our salvation by God's grace through faith is clear.

7. Randy119

Randy119 New Member

Thank you, I will think on all these facts, and will try to make the right choice(by right i mean correct not morally right i intend to do morally right but i hope they are the same)

8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Hi Randy, I just wanted to add, I hope your concern is not that she is saved by the Catholic church's standard, but in the eyes of God.

Some additional thoughts are that before you get married you should start attended a church together and grow closer spiritually. It sounds like that has been a subject more avoided by both of you to this point. Once married there will be no avoiding it and you might find that problems and differences do occur. You need to find a biblically sound church where you both can attend now as a dating couple.

Lastly please think about your future children and what is important in how you want them raised. They will be your responsibility.

9. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let the Word of Truth be your guide:

Romans 12:2
    (2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

You're welcome, and God bless...will say a prayer for you.

10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Randy, please let us know how it goes, you and your friend will be in my prayers.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Wow, people, everyone needs to hold here!

Randy, you need to figure yourself out before you even think about making a lifelong commitment.

You say you're a Baptist because you were raised that way.

Being raised a Baptist doesn't make you a Christian.

What do YOU believe?

WHY do you believe it?

You need to figure that out.

A person will be a Christian if they believe in who Jesus Christ is and what he did for them, then they will confess that belief. Repentence will be a heartfelt thing that will be born from that realization. When you realize who Christ is and what he did, you will want to repent for being part of what caused his crucifixion and will want to serve him because of the love you will feel in return for the vast love he has shown us. He is the ONE AND ONLY way to the Father (not by a priest as Catholics believe) and so it does not matter one iota how you were raised. You are either a believer or you aren't.

Right now, you don't sound very sure of your faith. It's a major life decision that will affect you and any potential life partner. That means you should NOT make this commitment until you become more sure of your own physical and spiritual future.

Love isn't always enough to make a marriage work, despite how nice it sounds. Love can quickly turn to despising someone when disagreements arise, especially ones that can become as personal as religious ones. Enter a kid...when you have a child, whether on your own or through adoption, YOU are responsible to guide that child in the right direction in every aspect of living, including spirituality. It's not a light task. You do NOT want to fail on that one. Marriage often brings children. So right now you, as the male and future spiritual leader of your household, you need to start making the right decisions.

It's good you are on here asking. It does show a level of curiosity and responsibility, and that is often lacking in young men. I'm glad you're here.

On the other hand, we have had our share of people coming here "in disguise" to perpetuate the beliefs of Catholocism, and I sincerely hope you are not one of them. However, I've been burned on here and other places a number of times so please forgive me for asking this and understand that it's only because I've been tricked and taken in so many times and it always hurts my feelings when that happens, so are you really seeking answers or are you here to try to convince people to become Catholic?

I hope and pray you're just a little confused and that this place can help you out!

12. Randy119

Randy119 New Member

@Gina: No, i did not know half of what Catholicism was compared to Being a Baptist and this is part of what i came here for(amazingly Google, Yahoo, and Bing cant deliver you to a site other than the wall of text that is Wikipedia( and that's not to reliable))