1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Doctrine of Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Oct 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contrary to this disinformation, Baptists are distinctive in that they do not allow "speaking in tongues" in our assemblies. Do not let those pushing gnostic knowledge promote confusion and disharmony. Being gifted in language skills is certainly a benefit to those seeking to understand the original languages of God's word, and then translate accurately the intended message. But exclusivity is no where to be found. It is a worldly driven power grab!

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    for ANY Bible translation to be "perfect", as you suggest, it would have to be 100% Inspired by God the Holy Spirit, on the same level that the Original Autographs were. There are some who are KJVO (you?), and hold that this translation is perfect and even inspired by God, and hold this equally to the Originals. By your own reasoning you condenm all the other translations, like the NASB, ESV, NKJV, etc, to being the mere works of men! There is NO basis or evidence to even suggest that the KJV, or any other translation, is "perfect", as there are variants in the texts that they use as their basis. Some, like the KJV used the TR, while others used the UBS or N-A texts to translate from for the NT. If you can compare these you will see that there are differences in the readings, like John 1:18; 3:13; Acts 8:37; 20:28; 1 Corinthians 10:9; 15:47; Colossians 2:2; 1 Timothy 3:16; 1 John 5:7; Jude 5, etc, all of which are important Doctrinal texts. It is the science of textual studies that determines which is the correct reading, and not just because I like what it might say! You will have to have a good working knowledge of the original languages, like Hebrew and Greek, as well as access the the manuscripts, versions, Partistic works, and texts, to be able to determine which reading should be accepted as the original, and more to the point, why!

#62 SavedByGrace, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is your "special knowledge" not mine...

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cite a specific verse, please. Speaking in an unknown to the speaker language is miraculous. Your view claiming exclusivity is unbiblical nonsense. Baptists do not believe in "translator priests."

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I'm not advocating "speaking in tongues" as the Charismatics and Pentecostals believe. Just the opposite--I'm arguing that their "speaking in tongues" is NOT Biblical, but the Biblical meaning of "tongues" is always, always humanly intelligible language. I have quite often opposed Charismatic "tongues" both here on the BB and elsewhere as being unbiblical.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we even talking about the same thing? I cited five verses which talked about interpretation and interpreters in 1 Cor. 12-14. My point is that the gift of interpreter is obviously not miraculous. Acts 2 does not have interpreters, but only miraculously given, intelligible languages.

I would like you to counter this argument, if you can.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I figured it out, I think, friends. Van's is calling me a Gnostic for no discernable reason. Therefore, it must be like the Internet (and now political) convention that if you are losing the argument you call your opponent a Nazi. That way you don't have to actually and logically counter his argument. :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    you are making a fool of yourself here, as your understanding of the Greek prepositions are WRONG! If you don't know Greek, especially the Grammar, not Strongs concordance, then you should not make these rather silly statements! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Once again you have gone off the reservation.Gnostic knowledge?
    You deny Archangel dismantled your strange postings?
    Do I have to look that up in the archives?
    JoJ has been used of God in a special way having given himself to Kingdom service along with his wife, for more than half his life ,and continues on training others.
    Your foul misguided attack has no merit and is to be rejected as puerile.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is that considered to be the best TR text then now available for use?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nas and Esv are very good translations.... as are Kjv/Nkjv!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does one even need to be Christian though to be a notable textual critic?

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the TR text closest to the KJV.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can assemble and put together a decent Greek text with out even being saved? As know Thayers made a really good NT Greek lexicon for its time, even though was a unitarian!

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I think they should be. They are handling the Word of God. I shuddered when I saw the name Bart Ehrman, noted atheist, as one of the co-authors along with Bruce Metzger of the 4th ed. of The Text of the New Testament. Ehrman has thrown away every right to handle the Word of God.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can know the Greek and Hebrew and ones own language. and yet miss the various nuances that make for really good translation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just think that there is much more that goes into into this then our friend Van would allow for!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was he actually a Unitarian? I've never seen proof of this charge. His biographer states, "It is interesting to note that, while as a young man he usually attended Dr. Gannett's church (Unitarian) with his father, yet his own views followed those of his mother, and led him into the Congregational church. His experience thus resembled that of Phillips Brooks, and resulted in a large charity and understanding for those of differing beliefs, together with a firm and discriminating hold upon his own" (https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdfplus/10.1086/472978, 249).

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They can be copies of the originals and still be scripturas to , but not in inherit inspiration!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The tongues in operation at Pentacost were actual languages bearing witness to Jesus Christ, the tongue in the local assembles were?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.