1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Double Portion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by salzer mtn, Feb 1, 2014.

1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

In chapter nine of Matt the bible gives the account of the man sick of palsy, lying on a bed that was healed by Jesus. Notice what Jesus said to the man in verse two, Son, be of good cheer, thy sins be forgiven thee. Although the sick man was brought to be healed he also received forgiveness of sin's. So my question, Did all that receive healing by Christ get the complete package of healing and salvation at the same time per this example in chapter nine of Matt ?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, a lot of these people were healed secondary to their faith. Jesus told many people in the Bible - "You faith has made you whole" - or some version of that.

I think that the of 10 men healed from leprosy, Jesus told only the grateful man that "your faith has made you well." He didn't comment of the faith of the others, only their lack of gratitude to God.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To clarify, do you mean is physical healing included in the atonement?

There's no question that Jesus healed to validate His claims of deity and to fulfill prophecy and even to illustrate salvation. But healing isn't included in the atonement, if that's what you mean.

#3 JohnDeereFan, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  4. DocTrinsoGrace

DocTrinsoGrace New Member

My thoughts are that we would need to be careful of not making a hasty generalization. After all, we have a contrary instance in Luke 17:12-19.

Narrative will always support doctrine, but narrative is not a suitable source from which to build doctrine.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Agreed, and here's why.

The "healing in the atonement" doctrine is based on Isaiah 53:4
    The faith-healers cite this as Jesus dying not only for our sins, but also our sicknesses. Therefore, if one has faith, God will heal him.

The question is not if He did, but when He did. The answer is in Matthew 8:17
    Matthew, led by the Spirit said that Jesus fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah 53:4 at Capernaum in the evening.

So Jesus fulfilled the prophecy all right--in his life, not his death.

#5 Tom Butler, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  6. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Also St. John 9th chapter about Jesus healing the blind man is contrary to people receiving healing and salvation at the same time.

7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Jesus' physical healings were a picture of the spiritual healing for those who believe in Him - by His stripes were are healed

And since this spiritual healing is a forgiveness of sins, it was quite proper for Jesus to heal someone and also proclaim their sins to be forgiven

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no cause for someone to assume the healing ministry over disease and death are any less a part of the work of Christ, today.

James puts it this way in chapter 5:
    13 Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; 15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. 18 Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit.
    Too often the believers take these verses far to lightly and the assemblies do not lay a siege of continual prayer before the Lord Jesus Christ that they witness miraculous wonders in this modern time.

The Lord Jesus Christ is no less accessible to believers, today, then the apostles. That is verified by the very words of Christ in John 14:
    12 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

It isn't a matter of "if it is in will of God."

Such is basic understanding, is a given, an assumption that is to be the goal and basic understanding of every believer in the assembly. Every believer should be very familiar with Ephesians 5:
    15 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
    Too often the typical modern believer has such a shallow walk with Christ that prayers are infrequent and ineffectual; the life is self absorbed in the cares of this world and worldly; the relationship to the Holy relegated to a thoughtless time of sensual worship.

As a result when REAL prayer over REAL issues is sought for, the typical shallow believer has no REAL experiential understanding and much less true communication skills with the Holy.

Pitiful, indeed.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spiritual healing ALWAYS happens today when a sinner is saved by the Cross, and God can chose to also physical heal, but under NO complusion that he must heal!

and ALL will indeed be physically healed, when we are glorified!

10. DocTrinsoGrace

DocTrinsoGrace New Member

Amen. Well written.

As I read your post, I was also mindful that all healing -- no matter the means or the recipient -- is from the hand of God.