1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A dress code poll

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Melanie, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Dress Code

Poll closed Aug 17, 2012.
  1. wear skirts/dresses exclusively

8.3%
  2. mostly

25.0%
  3. rarely

33.3%
  4. never

8.3%
  5. other....please explain

25.0%
  1. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where I attend church there is a definite dress code....Sunday best etc. Women are encouraged to abandon wearing trousers, skimpy and revealing garments etc. Men are encouraged not to wear branded tee-shirts and certainly a tee-shirt is regarded as an under garment anyway.

I wear skirts/dresses exclusively, although I was much attached to trousers.

Mind you it is very easy to spot new members, and you are not turned away for dress....

#1 Melanie, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  2. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I wouldn't say our church has a "dress code", although women do choose to wear dresses and skirts, especially on Sunday morning, we have an equal amount who choose to wear nice dress slacks. We tend, as a church, to stress modest dress over whether or not you wear a dress or skirt. Men in our church do not wear suits for the most part, although you will see quite a few in shirts and ties. Our pastor does wear a suit, as does our song leader.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Definitely no dress code at our church and I've seen people coming in their work clothes as they are rushing off to work right after church.

I personally don't love skirts. I do wear them occasionally but not that often. I am just more comfortable in pants.

4. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

It is culturally acceptable to dress up for church here. I think it helps place someone in a mindset that what they are about to do is more serious than the other daily activities of the week. However, I feel that we place way too much emphasis on this, especially as Baptists. Having attended numerous churches of this denomination, I often felt that the outward appearance was more a point of concern than the heart. Dress is an issue that is up to the individual's convictions. If a Christian is desiring to follow the Lord, he will receive conviction over what is right, whether it is jeans or skirts, is entirely up to him. Neither makes them any better a Christian.

I've taken walks in the mall with my friends, and it drove me up the wall how they would point out with shock every mini skirt, tattoo, and piercing of the people that passed by. I understand that the mall is not church, but my point is, we like to judge by what we see. Dress is important, but I think the heart is the root. For me it is not a point that merits such deep discussion. I'd rather go witness to someone, and have God work on their heart, then stand and brag about how modest I am and how scandolous so and so is. Will that or the person matter more?

When the harlot approached Christ, I am quite certain she was dressed like a woman of the street. Did Christ chide her, "You cannot come into the presence of me and my disciples unless you change your dress?" NO. He was moved with compassion and dealt with the heart of the issue. I dare say the harlot had more of an intense desire to serve the Master at that moment than any modestly dressed individual in that room.

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I am in favor of dress codes being required to post on BB

6. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

That's ridiculous. How could you be sure that members even followed them?

7. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I don't know, but couldn't you see my tongue firmly planted in my cheek? :smilewinkgrin:

8. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

I wondered if it might be:tongue3:

9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

as to the poll...I vote "other" and believe Scripture mandates modest dress for all and does not mandate what that means specifically. If God does not deem it worthy of command but allows our conscience and our culture to form our decision as a matter of freedom in Christ I see no reason for us to draw such a line.

10. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

I definitely agree.

11. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I know a man who goes to church in a T-shirt, shorts and bare feet. He tells them he's too poor to buy clothes, which is a lie. I believe there should be dress requirements for the regulars, but visitors shouldn't be approached and told, "Next time please dress more appropriately."

I don't think shorts and bare feet are appropriate. However, I don't think men should be required to wear a suit and tie unless they're a deacon serving the communion, or the music director, or singing specials. If a robe is used for any of that, what's under the robe doesn't matter.

When I sang specials (I'm not sure how special they were) or led the singing, I always wore a suit and tie. I still dress up (minus the tie and suit coat), although (due to health problems) I no longer sing specials or lead the singing. The way we dress in church shows our respect (or lack of it) for God.

12. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

No rules at our church. Wouldn't attend if there were. Grew out of being told what I MUST wear years ago. I can dress modestly all on my very own. If I can't, then that is between me and God, not me and the church!

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I voted 'other' - as a man, wearing a skirt or dress to church would be troublesome.

:laugh:

14. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh dear, so wearing my jimjams will be a nono!!!! Oh woe,woe,woe:tongue3:

There are appalling people in my town that think it is acceptable to go shopping in fluffy slippers and a gown. These folk are neither small children or escapees from health insitutions...... I wish there WERE everyday dress codes!

#14 Melanie, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
  15. keachfan

keachfan New Member

I too voted other and agree with what you posted.

16. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

what's the matter with fluffy slippers?

17. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

.....down at the shopping mall?

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

what if they look like bear paws...or pink rhino feet?

19. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

Whew! Those are definitely an acception to the dress code! By all means, where them:smilewinkgrin:

20. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

personally I don't have the legs for them...but my bride does.