1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Fact Sheet on the Greek NT

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Apr 3, 2019.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. Right now I'm in Greek 102. My students are translating 1 John in four committees, a setup designed to simulate a missionary Bible translation effort. Occasionally I "fly" to their countries to be their translation consultant. In the meantime I'm adding my proofreader Furukawa's corrections to our Japanese Mark. So, everyone is having a blast!

#21 John of Japan, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, I'll make that correction. That's what I get for depending on Metzger & Ehrman too much. :(

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Next:

4. Robert Estienne (1503-1559), a famous printer and publisher in Paris who was also named Stephanus, then printed his own version of the Greek NT of Erasmus. Stephanus produced four editions of the TR. He is the source of the verse divisions in our Bible. The vast majority of Greek mss are from the Byzantine family.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    5. The next TR was edited by Theodore Beza (1519-1605), and this Greek NT was reprinted by the Elziver brothers, Bonaventure and Abraham, in 1624. This is the edition said to be used by the translators of the KJV. There have been other editions down through the centuries. They all differ in a few places. These brothers are said to have invented the term “Textus Receptus” (TR), which comes from the Latin language and means, “Received Text.” They chose this term since it was edited from the Byzantine family of mss, which was handed down in mss form from ancient times in the Eastern part of the Roman Empire at first, and then throughout Europe, and thus “received” by the churches.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is required due to there being no exact copy of the Originals left to us, but has been preserved to near 100 % in all of the various sources for the texts!

• Like Like x 1
  6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe God has caused every meaning of every original passage of Scripture to be preserved to this day, even if the wording has changed. And He has caused His exact words to have been preserved in some passages.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ". . . For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. . . ." -- Psalms 119:89

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Word of God is perfectly preserved in Heaven. On earth, it is our job as believers to preserve it, based on the doctrine of the priesthood of the believers. One way we do that is by textual criticism. I have great respect for genuine, trained, working textual critics.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can anyone tell me if a Western family Greek NT has ever been printed? Or did I go out on a limb with this next point?

6. The Byzantine Textform and the TR Greek New Testament that we use were both edited from the Byzantine family of mss. The United Bible Societies (UBS) Greek NT and the Nestle’s Greek NT were edited mostly from the Alexandrian family of mss. There is one more family of mss called the Western, but no one prints Greek NTs from that family.

10. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I looked a couple months ago when expanding my GNT library. I was unable to find one, not in print or digital.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Pickering has prepared a f35 GNT. It can be bought in parper back, and it PDF can be downloaded for free.

12. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, but that is not the Western family that JoJ is looking for.

13. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you notice the movement related to CBGM that now says the Alexandrian and Western text type does not exist?

* A new approach to textual criticism,Wasserman and Gurry page 9*

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I had not heard about that. I can somewhat see the point since to my knowledge there are many mss said to be mixed types. But in the long run I think the text family designations are helpful and show reality.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rius-Camps and Heimerdinger have been publishing a multi-volume set favoring the western text of Acts, and C.- B. Amphoux and others are working on a western text edition of Mark. Also, long ago there appeared an English translation of Acts according to the western manuscript Codex Bezae.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aha. Thank you. So, still no Western Greek NT per se, but work being done in that area.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Next:

7. In the meantime, during the 19th century other scholars began to edit Greek NTs that were based more on the Alexandrian family of mss. These men included Constantin von Tischendorf (1815-1874), and a scholar named Samuel Tregelles (1813-1875), but the most influential one was edited by Brooke Foss Westcott (1825-1901) and Fenton John Anthony Hort (1828-1892), published in 1886. The various UBS and Nestle Greek NT have followed Westcott and Hort to a large degree. Nowadays this method of textual criticism is called “eclectic.” Our main disagreement with the eclectic method is their “canon” that “shortest is best.” Not only human experience, but careful examination of the mss proves this rule to be mistaken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This rule is becoming somewhat relaxed with the ECM due to CBGM. I will try to remember to come back and cite this tomorrow when I am in the office.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that Westcott and Hort were not "eclectic" but documentarian. Modern eclecticism developed as an alternative method after it was determined that the WH "genealogical method" and claims of a "Syrian recension" didn't hold water.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great. Thanks much. IMO, absent this rule and maybe the "oldest ms is best' canon, textual criticism becomes Byz. priority