1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A False Teaching continued...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by SovereignGrace, Jul 31, 2015.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses believe they follow these scriptures as well. Does this prove to themselves they are saved?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is not one of the apostles that did not write about the danger of false teachers who go into the churches as angels of light and ministers of righteousness deceiving the people. They existed in Corinth, and many of the Corinthians began to follow them and their teachings over and above Paul--rejecting Paul for the teachings of false teachers. It happens. False teachers can give all the evidences that you speak of. Jesus himself warned about them.

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

They will claim to do the same works as a pastor or any other leader in the church. Most of the congregation won't be able to tell the difference.

As an example, I heard from a friend yesterday of a man who was pastoring a church for a number of years in another area (not in the province I live). He was a Baptist pastor of a good church. Now he has a secular job, goes to the bars, and doesn't care much about the Christian life.
    How can that be? He gave the same kind of testimony that both you and SG gave. But he only followed it for a certain number of years. Then something changed. I don't know what happened. I can't tell you.

Just saying "I am one of the elect," or "God chose me." is not good enough.
    Sadly, some think it is.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God as the Creator of all people would love us all, but there is also a love towards those who are the saved and redemned in Christ, the ones to whom God chose to show a particular kindness and mercy towards...

It would be like I can love my friends, but my own family get "special love"

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

First it is difficult, perhaps impossible, for a finite mind to comprehend the love of an infinite God. Therefore human comparisons will always fall short.
    Second, though God's love for the unsaved is infinite and beyond comparison and comprehension, remember that you also were once an enemy of God, estranged, an outcast, and doomed to hell. He died for you as he died for others. It is not that you were of "the elect," but rather that you accepted his gift. Others rejected it.
    He came to "seek and to save the lost."

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except there is NOTHING in me that would allow me to accept jesus, as being in ny sin nature, needed the Holy Spirit himself to enable me to even be able to do that!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any one who taught that would be really wrong, as the Bible tells us that if we are the elect, we can know that by love for God and the bethren, to desire to please and follow God, read the bible and pray and obey it!

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Theological gibberish. What is stopping you? Nothing but Satan and Calvin.

What stopped the Philippian jailor? Nothing.
    What stopped the Ethiopian eunuch? Nothing.
    What stopped 3,000 on the Day of Pentecost? Nothing.

It may be noted that thought the conviction of the Holy Spirit came both on the Day of Pentecost and in Acts 7 at the preaching of Stephen, those who were convicted most, were those that refused and resisted the Holy Spirit. They were the ones that dragged Stephen out of the city and stoned him to death. There was nothing stopping others from being saved.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't have to do that. I am 100% certain, beyond any shadow of any doubt, that if I should die this moment I would go straight to heaven. I have that assurance.

But how do you know you are one of the elect?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scriptures teach plainly that we are ALL sinners, whose very natures are at war against God, and that left to ourselves, we would stay as lost!

ONLY when the Holy Spirit quickens and enables us will we even desire, much less will indeed come unto jesus to get saved!

What was inherit in you that wanted and did respond to God then?

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Some of what you say is true. Some isn't.
    Where does the scripture say, that if one is left to himself, he would stay lost.

Did you know that Hudson Taylor "was left to himself."
    His mother went out. He was alone in the house. Beside him was some reading material along with some tracts. He decided (against all Calvinistic teaching) to pick up a tract and read it. He (against all Calvinistic teaching) understood what the tract was teaching (the gospel message based on the efficacy of the blood of Christ). Then and there he was convicted of his need for Christ and trusted Christ as his Savior (against all Calvinistic teaching). He also became one of the world's greatest missionary spreading the gospel to the lost in China (against much or many Calvinistic teaching--but not all).

Yes, Hudson Taylor "was left to himself," and God did great things.
    That shoots your theology doesn't it?

11. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Except the LORD of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant, we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah.

12. vooks

vooks Active Member

And you are part of that remnant right?

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All true Christians are. Do you doubt you're a part of it?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A non sequitur. It doesn't answer the question.

15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that what you think I wrote? :BangHead: Did you actually trouble to read it?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Of course I read it. I gave you a detailed answer which you did not bother to answer. Isn't that typical?
    Secondly, your answer avoided the real crux of the question. Instead of answering the question you described the Christian walk.

I answered you how many have pretended to walk the Christian walk in such a way that they have fooled the elect, and for a good number of years. In that way your answer is not convincing.

Thus I ask you again: Having avoided the real question:
    How can you know that you are one of the elect?
    Do you really have any assurance that you are one of the elect?

17. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You stated in an earlier post you know without a doubt that you would go to heaven, and I say 'hallelujah'!! I can say the same thing, monsieur. You will probably ask, "How can I know I am one of the elect?", though. :tear:

I believe in what you call a 'damnable heresy', which is limited atonement. Now, can anyone who believes a 'damnable heresy' be saved, mon ami? No deflection, just a 'yes or no' will work.

#37 SovereignGrace, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  18. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

To many professing Christians the entire Bible is a non sequitur because in their minds an all-wise, all-powerful, all-loving God cannot accomplish that which He purposed: to actually save the world that He loves.

Our Pelagian/Arminian/non-Cal friends find this of no great concern.

PS The Scripture cited does answer the question. The problem is not with the Scripture, but with the reader.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You misquote me. I didn't say that. Peter did. :)
    But I did explain it.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Where does the Scripture say "if one is left to himself he will remain lost"?
    Give your answer and demonstrate its relevance.