1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A few questions for Mormons (LDS).

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by UncleRay, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Fatherof4

Fatherof4 Guest

Sola Scriptura wrote:

The book of Mormon claims that Jesus was born in Jerusalem rather than Bethlehem, most likely because Joseph Smith forgot where Jesus was born when he wrote it! The book of Mormon also says that communion is to be done with wine, but the Mormons use water instead.

I reply:

This is an outdated anti-Mormon argument that has recently come around full circle. The truth of the matter is that it has become a powerful evidence FOR the historicity and Hebraic nature of the origin of the BOM. Jeff Lindsay deals with this issue (as do several other prominent LDS apologists). You can review his comments here. http://www.jefflindsay.com/BMEvidences.shtml#Jerus

You will need to scroll down to the section on Jerusalem.

Thanks,

Don

2. Fatherof4

Fatherof4 Guest

Uncle Ray:
    1. It is my understanding that heaven for a Mormon (equivalent of being saved) involves you becoming a god of your own planet. It that true?

Don:
    The LDS (those who are faithful) look forward to living on this earth (glorified), in a celestial state, in the presence of God. We will become like God in several ways, but will never become His equal, nor surpass Him in any way. God is perfect.

Uncle Ray:
    2. Do you believe in the Trinity?

Don:
    We believe in the Godhead, which could be termed a Trinity of sorts...but obviously there are some real doctrinal differences that we have with mid-late Christian theologians on this matter.

Uncle Ray:
    3. Does God reveal himself to the President of the Mormon Church?

Don:
    Certainly He does. He also reveals Himself to many others, including those of numerous faiths.

Hope this helps,

Don

3. Fatherof4

Fatherof4 Guest

Alex:

I have a friend who got caught up in this CULT. I do not agree with their belief at all.

Don:
    Sicks and stones can break my bones, but...

Alex:
    They put ALL their belief in the book of Mormon and the bible is secondary as they believe that the Mormon book is God's message for the NEWER times and that most of the Bible is out of date.

Don:
    This is very simply either a lie or an ignorant untruth. I hope that it is the latter.

Alex:
    It is very sad to see the many who fall for this belief. To me, there, as you said, are many good people who will go to hell, as Mormons. I have only given them credit for staying so closely knitted as opposed to many of our churches, especially my Baptist friends. We should be like them in regards to being as ONE(united) and not bickering all the time. That is where we fall short in many ways. However, we are all Heaven bound.( Those who have truly accepted Jesus as Lord). Can't say the same for the Mormons.

Don:
    At least you have been partially complimentry. I suggest you consider the words of the Savior that by their fruits ye shall know them.

Alex:
    Another thing about them, is that most WILL NOT DEBATE. I guess that is part of their brain-washing system.

Don:
    I think some LDS have learned that it is not an activity that brings a high return...with some individuals. Apparantly I am not as bright as some of them are. I am here debating afterall. As far as being brainwashed, I can guarantee that I have studied both sides of the issues. I have come to the conclusion to which I feel the evidence most heavily weighs.

Alex:
    I could go on and on but without any of them getting into the heat of things, we are wasting our time.

Don:
    I do not claim the same flair for long windedness, but I could probably keep pace. Go for it.

4. Fatherof4

Fatherof4 Guest

Ephesians 432:
    The Tanners have done an incredible amount of research on the subject! It is well-documented.

Don:
    Sorry to dissapoint, but most of the work that the Tanners have done has been refuted. In addition, even some serious Protestant apologists have questioned the value of their work. The base of the Tanners readers seem to be Evangelical Christians who have already made up their minds to the issues, and don't take the time to investigate the entire matter. I guess you could say that they have been brainwashed. (Big grin)

If you really are interested, with a little work, I could give some specifics.

5. Alex

Alex New Member

DON>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a friend of many years who married Mormon, became a Mormon and was the Mormon Tabernacle music Engineer in SLC,UT for years. He told me that Mormons believe that all who have been born, or all that will ever be, we pre-existant as SPIRITS with God sine the beginning of time(God's time), and are on eart ONLY to be prepared for the later life in heaven. This seems far fetched and indicates that all will go to Heaven?????

Alos is the hereafter, there will be marriages, babies and all that happens in our NOW life. This all sounds like what MAN would create for his own satisfaction about the life after death. It isn't that way in the Bible. In fact there isn't much about Heaven as to how we will look or do we have a young body, etc..

This man is now an ELDER in the local church.

Finally, how come most Mormons will not get on sites such as this. You are one of a few that will. Also you refer to other websites for answers. Let the answers come from you as you have on some questions or comments.

I guess another question: Do you believe only Mormons will get to heaven?

God Bless..............Alex

PS: I Wish I could say Mormons will go, but only to hell according to the Bible we use.......

6. Fatherof4

Fatherof4 Guest

Hello Alex,

Thank you for the VERY cordial response. I do not take offense at people critiquing my faith, as long as it is done in a fair and honest manner. I feel that your last post was exactly that. Thanks again. Now on to the response.

Alex writes:
    I have a friend of many years who married Mormon, became a Mormon and was the Mormon Tabernacle music Engineer in SLC,UT for years. He told me that Mormons believe that all who have been born, or all that will ever be, we pre-existant as SPIRITS with God sine the beginning of time(God's time), and are on eart ONLY to be prepared for the later life in heaven. This seems far fetched and indicates that all will go to Heaven?????

Don:
    While I would agree with much of what you posted here, I do have some differences. We do not believe that we existed with God from all eternity, or as you term it, in God's time.

Alex:
    Alos is the hereafter, there will be marriages, babies and all that happens in our NOW life. This all sounds like what MAN would create for his own satisfaction about the life after death. It isn't that way in the Bible. In fact there isn't much about Heaven as to how we will look or do we have a young body, etc..

Don:
    I have no idea how or if "babies and all that" happens in the next life. I do believe that faithful persons will have the opportunity to have their families in eternity, and will continue to propagate offsrping in some sense. It may very well be a purely spiritual thing. I don't know.

As far as the Bible not going into any great detail on this point, you are correct. But then again, LDS do not believe that all of the "line upon line, precept upon precept" manner of God's teaching is included in the Bible, great as it is.

Alex:
    This man is now an ELDER in the local church.

Don:
    Offices within the priesthood do not reflect any authority to state what is or is not official LDS doctrine. I do not have this authority either, outside of pointing to the cannon. (To declare what is the doctrinal position of the church.)

Alex:
    Finally, how come most Mormons will not get on sites such as this. You are one of a few that will. Also you refer to other websites for answers. Let the answers come from you as you have on some questions or comments.

Don:
    I don't think that most LDS even know about sites such as this. Some of those that do, see it as a less than fruitful use of time. It has been my experience that there is a huge communication gap between Evangelicals and LDS, on both sides. Also, as a whole the LDS community is a very busy one. For example, in addition to operating a business for some 50-60 hours per week, I raise of family (4 children), am involved in church service (some 15 or so hours per week), and am involved in some limited community events and projects. It keeps me going.

I do rely on some of the work of others, just as many of you rely on the work of others. (Just on this thread alone, the Tanners have been mentioned at least twice, with a link provided to some of their work.) I think that it is important that we examine the considerations of others, and then decide for ourselves what is true and what is not. (In the end, we will all be judged according to the decisions that we make...individually, not collectively.) We use our intellect, prayer, the scriptures, reason, and the Holy Ghost to do this. (I would also add living prophets, but that would be a Quantum leap to another topic.)

Alex:
    I guess another question: Do you believe only Mormons will get to heaven?

No. This is a multi-layered answer. I would be happy to cover it more fully some time. I can say that it would not surprise me at all if you were there...but I don't know you.

God Bless..............Alex
    Thank you. God bless you too! Don

PS: I Wish I could say Mormons will go, but only to hell according to the Bible we use.......

Where does it say that in your Bible?

Peace!

[ June 14, 2002, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Don Layton ]

7. Fatherof4

Fatherof4 Guest

BTW Alex,

There is so much good done in this world by non LDS, it would be presumptuous for any of us to attempt to pass judgement on any of you...or ourselves for that matter. Check out the following site. I assume it was an Evangelical Pastor. Good for him! It needed done!

http://www.angelrays.com/Cards/moon/1/believe.html

Don

8. Fatherof4

Fatherof4 Guest

I must say that I am more than a little dissapointed. I really thought that by having a Mormon come onto a board like this, you all would be like leaves on a tree in the spring...all over me.

I will not be available for the next week or so. I just didn't want you to think that I was ignoring you guys.

Don

9. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist