1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Few Sabbath Questions

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by vooks, Jun 13, 2015.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    as EVEN C.H. Spurgeon and the "Baptist Confession of Faith" knew - the term "Law" as in the "moral law of God still binding on the saints today" does Include the TEN Commandments but is not limited to them.

So then Lev 19:18

Deut 6:5 --

also part of the moral law of God.

in Christ,

Bob

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The OP, Bob. You are still avoiding it:

3. vooks

vooks Active Member

The UNSTABLE and UNLEARNED insist that the LAW means Ten Commndments

If the LAW always means the Ten Commandments, how comes
    (A) Numbers is called the Law in Matt 12:5.
    Matthew 12:5 (KJV)
    Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

(B) Psalms is called the Law
    John 10:34 (KJV)
    Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

(C) the Prophets are called the Law
    1 Corinthians 14:21 (KJV)
    In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

(D) the Ten Commandments are also called the Law?
    Romans 7:7 (KJV)
    What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet

BobRyan ignores all that and injects another angle on 'moral laws'.
    Don't aks him define 'moral' because he can't and he won't attempt

The IQ of all conservative Adventist's is equal to Ellen White's. Which is quite a pity because she was brain damaged and saw aliens on Jupiter

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    as EVEN C.H. Spurgeon and the "Baptist Confession of Faith" knew - the term "Law" as in the "moral law of God still binding on the saints today" does Include the TEN Commandments but is not limited to them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobRyan [​IMG]
    D.L. Moody is not the only one to claim that the TEN Commandments are given to mankind in Eden and still binding on the saints today.

Baptist Confession of Faith - section 19 almost identical to the Westminster section 19 quoted above.

Notice how they both fit that 7 point summary already posted on page 1?

[FONT=&quot]Baptist Confession of Faith Section 19 link[/FONT]

Section 19:

C.H. Spurgeon's edition of the "Baptist Confession of Faith" -- [FONT=&quot]CH Spurgeon[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

“The Perpetuity of the Law of God”
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Very great mistakes have been made about the law. Not long ago there were those about us who affirmed that the law is utterly abrogated and abolished, and they openly taught that believers were not bound to make the moral law the rule of their lives. What would have been sin in other men they counted to be no sin in themselves. From such Antinomianism as that may God deliver us. We are not under the law as the method of salvation, but we delight to see the law in the hand of Christ, and desire to obey the Lord in all things. Others have been met with who have taught that Jesus mitigated and softened down the law, and they have in effect said that the perfect law of God was too hard for imperfect beings, and therefore God has given us a milder and easier rule. These tread dangerously upon the verge of terrible error, although we believe that they are little aware of it.

Section 19 of the "Baptist Confession of Faith" .

Section 19
    . The Law of God

• God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience which was written in his heart, and He gave him very specific instruction about not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. By this Adam and all his descendants were bound to personal, total, exact, and perpetual obedience, being promised life upon the fulfilling of the law, and threatened with death upon the breach of it. At the same time Adam was endued with power and ability to keep it.

• The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the Fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai in the TEN COMMANDMENTS, and written in two tables, the first four containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.

• Besides this law, commonly called the moral law, God was pleased do give the people of Israel ceremonial laws containing several typical ordinances. These ordinances were partly about their worship, and in them Christ was prefigured along with His attributes and qualities, His actions, His sufferings and His benefits. These ordinances also gave instructions about different moral duties. All of these ceremonial laws were appointed only until the time of reformation, when Jesus Christ the true Messiah and the only lawgiver, Who was furnished with power from the Father for this end, cancelled them and took them away.

• To the people of Israel He also gave sundry judicial laws which expired when they ceased to be a nation. These are not binding on anyone now by virtue of their being part of the laws of that nation, but their general equity continue to be applicable in modern times.

The moral law ever binds to obedience everyone, justified people as well as others, and not only out of regard for the matter contained in it, but also out of respect for the authority of God the Creator, Who gave the law. Nor does Christ in the Gospel dissolve this law in any way, but He considerably strengthens our obligation to obey it

==========================================

So then Lev 19:18

Deut 6:5 --

also part of the moral law of God.

(Just stating the obvious - but with "Vooks" the statement of the "obvious" is always the answer to the games he plays)

in Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How instructive that you do not quote Is 66:23 or Is 56:1-8 or Mark 2:27 ALL of which point to the Sabbath for MANKIND - for Gentiles specifically.

IS this because "Bible avoidance" on the subject that you setup for discussion is your only solution??

Is 56 -
    Thus says the Lord,
    “Preserve justice and do righteousness,
    For My salvation is about to come
    And My righteousness to be revealed.
    2 “How blessed is the man who does this,
    And the son of man who takes hold of it;
    Who keeps from profaning the sabbath,

And keeps his hand from doing any evil.”
    3 Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say,
    “The Lord will surely separate me from His people.”
    Nor let the eunuch say, “Behold, I am a dry tree.” 4 For thus says the Lord,
    “To the eunuchs who keep My sabbaths,
    And choose what pleases Me,
    And hold fast My covenant,
    5 To them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial,
    And a name better than that of sons and daughters;
    I will give them an everlasting name which will not be cut off.

6 “Also the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord,
    To minister to Him, and to love the name of the Lord,
    To be His servants, every one who keeps from profaning The Sabbath
    And holds fast My covenant;
    7 Even those I will bring to My holy mountain
    And make them joyful in My house of prayer.
    Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar;
    For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples.”
    8 The Lord God, who gathers the dispersed of Israel, declares,
    Yet others I will gather to them, to those already gathered.”

Is 66
    “For just as the new heavens and the new earth
    Which I make will endure before Me,” declares the Lord,
    “So your offspring and your name will endure.
    23 “And it shall be from new moon to new moon
    And from Sabbath to Sabbath,
    All mankind will come to bow down before Me,” says the Lord.

Mark 2:27
    27 Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made for mankind, and not mankind for the Sabbath.

Quote:
    "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1Cor 7:19

"do we then make void the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! - in fact we ESTABLISH the Law of God" Rom 3:31

"sin IS transgression of the Law" - 1 John 3:4

Gal 3, Romans 3 -- ALL the world condemned under "SIN" as defined by -the LAW of God -- gentiles are included.

1. open the Bible.
    2. read. (it shows the Sabbath applicable to mankind... gentiles..)

The question of what gentiles are supposed to be doing - both OT and NT is "in the text" you are avoiding.

The "blind faith" notion that those Bible texts are all "SDA" is dark ages thinking.

The "blind faith" notion that the D.L. Moody quote on page is just another SDA talking - is dark ages thinking.

The "blind faith" notion that the "Baptist Confession of Faith" quote on page one - is yet another SDA source - is dark ages thinking.

If the baptist answer to history and Bible fact is to resort to dark ages name-calling and revisionism - then there will come a day when the SDA denomination will have out grown even the largest shrinking Baptist denomination. That is because Christian cannot thrive in the long run - on that dark ages thinking. Even the RCC is learning that lesson.

1. Moody is related to this every time the nonsensical "only SDAs notice that the Sabbath is applied to gentiles" fluff comes up (almost every thread demands a quote of Moody or Spurgeon in response to that nonsense).

2. God does not punish pagan nations in the Bible for taking God's name in vain, or for failing to love God with all their heart, or for coveting, or for lying, or for stealing, or for dishonoring their parents... the list goes on and on for sins never mentioned by God as the reason for destroying pagan nations.. The nonsensical "Sabbath does not apply" because it is in that same list -- is "any ol excuse will do" -- it is NOT serious Bible study. It is vooks-gamering of a serious Bible topic. His argument just as well could have been made by an atheist who knows almost nothing about the Bible and is looking for ways to mock the Bible and the God of the Bible

Those who join him at that low level are choosing to trash the Bible in favor of vooks-gamering as if God "does not see" God "does not notice" as if there is a special "vooks-gamering-exception clause" with God you can do whatever you like and He will not mark it.

I don't think that is the case with God.

in Christ,

Bob

#25 BobRyan, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
  6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Nothing here are NT commands that command the believer to keep the Sabbath Day.
    Mark 2:27
    This is a statement of fact; what is known as a declarative statement. There is no command here to keep the Sabbath.

You ought to have more sense than to quote this verse.
    1. The commandments of God are not the Ten Commandments.
    2. The context is marriage.
    3. The near context is circumcision.
    4. Are you married? have any daughters. Since we are all one in Christ, will you subject your wife and daughters to physical circumcision since that is the actual context here?

1Co 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing; but keeping God's commandments.
    --Why do you continue to take scripture out of context?

1. The law has been established to show us our sinfulness.
    2. The law has been established to be our schoolmaster that it might point us in the direction of Christ.
    3. The law cannot save, only show us that we are in need of a Savior.

And thus, keeping the Sabbath, which has been done away, nailed to the cross, would be a transgression of the NT law for the believer. Why do you sin?
    --The Sabbath has never been part of the moral law of God. What is moral about keeping or not keeping the Sabbath? Nothing.

You go on blind faith that EGW is correct and all the Bible is wrong. You go on blind faith that your interpretation of the CoF and Moody is right (when it isn't).
    You have over and over again displayed your dishonesty in quoting them.
    They distanced themselves for any and all doctrines of the SDA's so it is wrong for you to quote from them.

Nobody here does. We constantly refer to the Word of God. You keep posting Moody. You are the only one that does. Now you are being dishonest and throwing false accusations at us. Go back and read all these endless threads. You are the only one to quote Moody.
    You quote Moody and sometimes Spurgeon, but you don't refer to the Bible.
    No one else quotes from Moody. What a shame that you have to go outside of the Bible to prove your point. And then to add insult to your already injured position, you misquote his position for he has distanced himself from your cult.
    But you are wrong.
    David killed Goliath for blaspheming the name of God.

Thou shalt not covet.
    Gehazi coveted after Namaan's reward.
    2 Kings 5:27 The leprosy therefore of Naaman shall cleave unto thee, and unto thy seed for ever. And he went out from his presence a leper as white as snow.

Ninevah was destroyed because of its idolatry:
    Nahum 1:14 And the LORD hath given a commandment concerning thee, that no more of thy name be sown: out of the house of thy gods will I cut off the graven image and the molten image: I will make thy grave; for thou art vile.
    --for not loving God, the God that she turned to and repented; just 100 years previously when Jonah had gone there.

For murder:
    Amos 1:3 Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have threshed Gilead with threshing instruments of iron:

The nation of Gibeonites were punished for deceit and lying:
    Joshua 9:22 And Joshua called for them, and he spake unto them, saying, Wherefore have ye beguiled us, saying, We are very far from you; when ye dwell among us?
    23 Now therefore ye are cursed, and there shall none of you be freed from being bondmen, and hewers of wood and drawers of water for the house of my God.
    --Every command can be accounted for except one. And that is the Sabbath Day. The Gentiles were not punished for "not keeping the Sabbath Day."
    You trash the Bible by claiming to keep the Sabbath when you don't.
    How do you "keep the Sabbath Bob?"
    You haven't told us yet. Why?
    If you were to keep the Sabbath it would be very similar to this manner, as described here:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2230022&postcount=30

Is it?

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you keep the first and greatest Commandment, DHK?

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct, The children of Israel were blessed with God's gifts of grace to them for no reason than God's love for them --- love never rewarded with love. That tells you something of the heart of the Father and Giver of all good gifts from above; as his gifts, tell of Him.

Unchangeable as the Father, his grace and his gifts, so unchangeable is the heart of man and his return of good with bad.

Unless if God willed to turn him and he shall be turned. Because in the day of God's power, He will make us willing.

NEVER has God given his Holy Day of Sabbath's Rest to any than his own children. Never!

Never has God given his Holy Day of Sabbath's Rest to anyone of whom HE, IS NOT THE FATHER, LORD AND GOD! Never!

#28 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
  9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Exodus 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

They were given to Israel and only Israel. It was a covenant to them, not to NT believers.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

The deprived always blame the benevolent for their poverty. Lord, you haven't given us a Law for your Sabbath!

God has no people than Children of the New Covenant of which Christ ever has been the Only Mediator.

And only Israel of all people ever were God's New Covenant People of adopted son and daughters.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Israel still exists. Paul prayed for Israel in Romans 9 and in Romans 10.
    According to you Paul must have been a lunatic for praying for something that did not exist??

12. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Keep readin vooks

EPHES. 2 [11] Wherefore remember, that ye being IN TIME PAST GENTILES in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; [12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANTS OF PROMISE, having no hope, and without God in the world: [13] BUT NOW IN CHRIST JESUS ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. [14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

We {gentiles}were once STRANGERS from Gods covenants {that answers your other questions} of promise, having no hope. BUT NOW in Christ, should we take hold of those covenants, we have hope

ISAIAH 56 [6] Also the sons of THE STRANGER, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one THAT KEEPETH THE SABBATH from polluting it, and TAKETH HOLD OF MY COVENANT; [7] EVEN THEM WILL I BRING TO MY HOLY MOUNTAIN, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for ALL PEOPLE.

Even them (us gentile STRANGERS mentioned in Ephes.2) will He bring to His holy mountain, if we should take hold of His sabbath covenant. Jesus will bring us to the 1000yr period of rest

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is nothing here that says Gentiles are now partakers of OT covenants.
    They aren't. That wall is broken down. Those "covenants" as far as the Gentiles are concerned have been nailed to the cross.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

14. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

The covenants have been nailed to the cross? That scripture says the handwritings of the ordinances has been nailed to the cross.

2 KINGS 17 [36] But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.[37] And the statutes, AND the ordinances, AND the law, AND the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

AND! The law AND commandments AND the ordinances. The law was not nailed to the cross. The commandments were not nailed to the cross. ONLY the handwring of the ordinances

15. vooks

vooks Active Member

Please drop your silly Adventist semantics of Law vs Commandments vs Ordinances.
    These terms mean the same thing

#35 vooks, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  16. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Wrong again vooks. Im not an adventist

17. vooks

vooks Active Member

Nobody said you are an Adventist. You are engaging in Adventist fickle semantics.

Briefly define
    1. Commandments
    2. Ordinances
    3. Law

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Commandments, Ordinances and Law in the Scriptures Old and New Testaments are that which is encompassed and embodied, and impersonated and personified in One: The LIVING Word of God Jesus Christ the LORD RAISED FROM THE DEAD by the Power and Glory and Spirit of Holiness of GOD: from death and the grave FOREVERMORE.

#38 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No my friend, Chowman. DHK is correct because the Scriptures are correct.

All things that were nailed to the cross and that were "taken out of the way"--annihilated and annulled, were the workmanship of Jesus Christ who made "Sacrifice of Himself" and "laid down His Life Himself", through whose palms of his hands, sinners drove nails to make an offering for sins themselves : IN VAIN AND SPRINKLED NO DROP OF EFFECTUAL BLOOD on The Altar of The Sanctuary OF GOD.

But He whose blood was in His LIFE and not his Life in his blood, offered up HIMSELF LAYING DOWN HIS LIFE for the sins of many.

. . . and annulled the covenants . . . the Scriptures . . . the handwritings . . . the ordinances, having "nailed them to the cross" HIMSELF IN HIMSELF.

20. vooks

vooks Active Member

I know it looks silly but you have no how these people split hairs
    Some insist commandments are just the ten and nothing else
    They also insist that ordinances are the ceremonial aspects
    And they insist the Law is just the Ten Commandments

Read up BobRyan closely and you will see.